How often is Next Gen?

kidtmnt

WiiChat Member
Feb 13, 2007
Is there a usual lifespan for a gaming console? For example how long did the NES, SNES, N64, and GameCube stay in mainstream? Is GameCube still alive? I saw a lot of RIP pics for GameCube all over the internet last holiday season, but yesterday I noticed new titles available for the GameCube at the store.

Side question: Does Nintendo usually wait a year before they release the different colored version of their product? Should we expect Holidays 2007 to have new colored Wii's? Also because Wii's are selling so well, can an expected price cut be expected soon?

Original playstation lasted around 11-12 years. PS2 and X-Box lasted 5-6 years. GameCube is still being catered for but lost favour when the PS2 and XBox came out.

Every 5 years Since the Super Nintendo came out in 1991 then the N64 in 1996 then the Gamecube in 2001 then the Wii in 2006. But with this gen I could see the Wii getting upgraded in 3 years.
And yes this christmas is when the new Black Wii;s and other colors will be out.

I was going to but a black wii, but I would loose all the downloads I have on mine $70 dollers worth..." but I guess it cant hurt to have 2 Wiis

Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) (1983 – 1994)
Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) (1990 – 2000)
Nintendo 64 (N64) (1996 – 2002)
Nintendo GameCube (GCN) (2001 – Present)
Wii (2006 – Present)

The PSone (also PSOne, PS one, or PS1), launched in 1995
PS2 released 2000
PS3 released 2006

I think the above is correct?

PS1 and PS2 in the same year? I dont think so...PS1 in like 1998 and PS2 in like 2002

Well anyways i'd say there's a 5 year live of your console.

wait SNES lasted to 2000... I dont remember any games still being made up until then?!?!

Now how are we coming up with these dates are they fact or what.. I mean do we base it on when did companies stop making games for those systems or just when another console was created to replace it..

tonyeng4ine said:
wait SNES lasted to 2000... I dont remember any games still being made up until then?!?!

Now how are we coming up with these dates are they fact or what.. I mean do we base it on when did companies stop making games for those systems or just when another console was created to replace it..
I think when they stoped making games for it.

hmm thats what I was thinking so how would SNES last to 2000.... I would say maybe 96 or maybe earlier than that considering we had N64 and Playstation coming into play

Nintendo of America ceased production of the SNES in 1999, slightly over a year after releasing its last first party game, Kirby's Dream Land 3, in November 1997. The last SNES title to see release in the US was a version of Frogger, released in the summer of 1998. In Japan, the Super Famicom continued to be produced until September 2003 (also some new games were produced until the year 2000).

from wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Nintendo_Entertainment_System

they last about 6 years I had a PS1 In 1998 and I had it till I believe 2003 when I noticed all the new games were all on PS2 and new game selection was wanning on the PS1. They support the old systems for at least a year maybe 2 and then slowly make everything for the new system That is interesting about SNES games all the way up till early 2000.

Back