How will Brawl online work?

Atomheart

M'bating to Z Suit Samus
Jul 30, 2007
WI
I read that whole thing at IGN, but I'm still unclear about the online setup.

So exactly how does the matchmaking work?

Also, there are no leaderboards or stats tracking? Why?

No taunts in stranger games?

How are reports on lag? I know there are some videos on IGN, but my computer can't run them smoothly.

SupraKing said:
no leaderboard because nintendo wants to keep it 'friendly'
no taunts in random games because that could reveal personal info, I guess

no leaderboard because sakurai wants to keep it quick and simple
with emphasis on the word 'quick'

mushroomedmario said:

What do leaderboards have to do with quick and simple? How does that slow things down? They did it in Strikers, why not Brawl?

mushroomedmario said:

ah yes. the friend codes would be sooooooooo quick and simple.

OK, I've read about online at that Dojo place, but things are still unclear.

1. Will it always be 4 players? Can you choose only 2 or 3 players?

2. Is there anyway to check your connection with the other players (ala Strikers) to avoid lag?

3. Will it always be a new fresh game or will you start games in progress?

4. How will lag be? Minimal? Both Strikers and MOH have gotten by with almost no lag.

5. Will the game be region locked (like all other Wii online games)?

6. How will playing online against strangers be any different than playing the computer? No wins/losses are tallied, no screen names are given, no taunts, etc. How do we know that there even is online against strangers? Couldn't they just pit you against CPU's all of the time?

Wow, I have to say this is a pretty big disappointment. It seems Nintendo has taken a step BACKWARD with online since Strikers.

Bummer. Although, I suppose some online (as limited as it is) is better than no online. But they could have EASILY done so much better. Even the Strikers setup would be great. How much longer can we really stick to the "at least something is better than nothing" mantra?

Atomheart said:
What do leaderboards have to do with quick and simple? How does that slow things down? They did it in Strikers, why not Brawl?

and personally i avoided playing online in strikers cause it was too slow

vashivihan said:
ah yes. the friend codes would be sooooooooo quick and simple.

uhh it is, are you incapable of making phone calls? making phone calls seem to be easy and simple, and they're made out of numbers

OK, I've read about online at that Dojo place, but things are still unclear.

i believe with random people on the internet, it's always 4, however if you play with friends, there are rooms so it can be 2-4 players
(though i think somewhere i read 2 player was plausible as well)
2. Is there anyway to check your connection with the other players (ala Strikers) to avoid lag?
again only for friends, this is supposed to be quick, therefor no accepting bullshit or anything, with the amount of people playing online, i bet you'll get set up with people close to you, and therefor lag will be minimal

new fresh games

4. How will lag be? Minimal? Both Strikers and MOH have gotten by with almost no lag.
minimal(i believe)

no, but if you do wish to different region, it'll probably be laggy

6. How will playing online against strangers be any different than playing the computer? No wins/losses are tallied, no screen names are given, no taunts, etc. How do we know that there even is online against strangers? Couldn't they just pit you against CPU's all of the time?

yeah they could but they wouldn't, CPU's play very different than humans, they get predictable after a while......people would notice

Wow, I have to say this is a pretty big disappointment. It seems Nintendo has taken a step BACKWARD with online since Strikers.

i don't think so, this is a matter of opinion

Bummer. Although, I suppose some online (as limited as it is) is better than no online. But they could have EASILY done so much better. Even the Strikers setup would be great. How much longer can we really stick to the "at least something is better than nothing" mantra?

add friends, that's what online is therefor, adding friends from the interweb OR playing with real friends in your own living room

Last edited:
mushroomedmario said:

uhh it is, are you incapable of making phone calls? making phone calls seem to be easy and simple, and they're made out of numbers

I STILL don't understand. How does having leaderboards and stats tracking slow down the game. You're not making any sense.

i havent read the article yet...planning to do so right now lol but with regards to lag there is a video on smashbros.com that displays online play at relitivly high distance. it ran smooth.

mushroomedmario said:

thats why we have the numbers stored inside the phone. the worser thing is that when u add someone on the wii, they have to add u before u can play. they dont get any friend requests. also, cant nintendo "borrow" ea nation for brawl? it would be so much easier.

Having ranks makes the game too competitive and there will always be the same people in the top ten, instead of dissapointing you when your ranked at 12,456,323,786, it's all just for the fun of playing IMO, but I'm not sure if you will be ranked with your friends.

I'll try my best here....
Atomheart said:

1. I believe I saw a japenese commercial where two people were playing one on one online. 4-free-for-all has been confirmed, so I see why there wouldn't be 3 playered online Brawls.

2.Yes, there is a colored circle next to friend's names. The circle is color coded to show signal strength.

3.I'm pretty sure you will start a whole new match.

4.Lag seems to be small if any. As Spiff-ssbb stated there was a video on the dojo and it presented a good running Brawl.

5.No, it will not be region locked.

6.Because they have human intelligence. You could probably learn more from fighting a human player than a computer. And I would think it would be more fun. To me anyways. Oh and you can still taunt, just no message bubbles show up.

JLU51396 said:
Having ranks makes the game too competitive and there will always be the same people in the top ten, instead of dissapointing you when your ranked at 12,456,323,786, it's all just for the fun of playing IMO, but I'm not sure if you will be ranked with your friends.

Well, I can see your point on the leaderboards, but a simple wins/loss records would be great as well as some other little statistics (e.g., KO's per game, times KO'd per game).

vashivihan said:
thats why we have the numbers stored inside the phone.
alright, but in order to store numbers into the phone, you have to initially add them

and guess what! once you add someone as a friend on brawl, you don't have to enter their friend code again

woah just like a phone! your first sentence was really dumb on your behalf
the worser thing is that when u add someone on the wii, they have to add u before u can play. they dont get any friend requests. also, cant nintendo "borrow" ea nation for brawl? it would be so much easier.

worser? lol

how's it bad? while your getting a friend code from someone, you could give them your's.......

omg and then they're added! woah, such a complicated procedure

Back