I think my WII was hacked!!

Turniprwii

WiiChat Member
Mar 27, 2007
Hi

A just last night connected my WII via a wireless LAN to the net.

Within 5 hours some one was attempting to hack me.

Since then i have had some strange things occur and i hope someone may be able to shed some light on what is happening.

1. A new connection has appeared in my WII internet settings that is surrounded in a RED outline!! what deos this mean?

2. A Email was sent (not by me) by my email client (on my PC) under a email address very similiar to one in my account...It had OPERA in the address IE [email protected] rather than normal address. I did not send this email

i find it very wired that opera should be in the address considering the only time i have used opera is within the WII

Has anyone experienced something like this?

e

It isnt a world of warcraft account, it can't get hacked. -_-

it means A. your connections not working, B. your next door has close internet connection. C. duno.

Thanks!

any idea about the email or perhaps just a unrelated issue that happened at the same time

yup fully WAP enabled
I have since blocked an unkown MAC address that had appeared in my system log and changed my password

no more attacks since but still investigating the strange "OPERA" email

thanks your responses.

Being a PC person i am very uncomfortable with the WII on the net....where is the virus protection etc??? and can it;s WIFI be used to access my PC through the wireless network?

Turniprwii said:
Hi

Since then i have had some strange things occur and i hope someone may be able to shed some light on what is happening.

1. A new connection has appeared in my WII internet settings that is surrounded in a RED outline!! what deos this mean?

2. A Email was sent (not by me) by my email client (on my PC) under a email address very similiar to one in my account...It had OPERA in the address IE [email protected] rather than normal address. I did not send this email

i find it very wired that opera should be in the address considering the only time i have used opera is within the WII

e

One thing to point out, that email address has nothing to do with Opera (the company or the browser). The domain name of that email address is "isp.net"
If you own a domain name, you can pretty much put anything you want in front of that. For example, if I owned the domain "mydomain", I could make an email address of web page with the address "nintendo.mydomain.com" or "turniprwii.mydomain.com".

If you go www.isp.net in your browser, you end up at isp.com, and as the name leads you to believe, they are an internet service provider.
BUT - it's not uncommon for spammers and the like to have spoofed domain names in their emails.

Another thing to keep in mind - the Wii has no knowledge of, or ability to connect to, any other computers on your local network.

I think it is coming down to my PC having a virus and as you said spamming others people

thanks everyone for your response

I usually stay away from forums due to flaming...nice to get helpfull responses with no ****!

Thanks again!

Turniprwii said:
I think it is coming down to my PC having a virus and as you said spamming others people

thanks everyone for your response

I usually stay away from forums due to flaming...nice to get helpfull responses with no ****!

Thanks again!
Yep, sounds like your problem to me, I use web based mail, So I don't get that problem, but if you use outlook express or something similar, and your computer gets a virus like you said, some viruses will spam everybody in your address book, and since your Wii address is saved in your address book, it gets that spam email like you said, therefore your Wii will get that spam email

The good thing is that the Wii is not compatible with the virus, therefore acting as a block and not continuing the message from the Wii outward

It might not work, but I heard in a daily tip thing I signed up for, that if you make an address with all As, the spamming virus will look for the beggining of the address book, and since addresses go in alphabetical order, the first address the spam virus will hit is the all A address and will fail, therefore, not continuing, an example of an all A address would be [email protected], I don't think it will work, but if it does, it will help a lot more than just your Wii (all the friends and family in your address book)

As for the extra connection, it could be a wireless connection with better strength than yours

Turniprwii said:
Hi

e

That Means You Have A Bad Connection... Or You're Using It... One Of The Two... XD

Back