If We Bother Nintendo Enough, Maybe HD Support?

I'm sure the Wii could do 720p.

Actually, I would be willing to bet that scaling current games to 720p isn't out of the question, either. Nintendo has to see a demand for it, and developers have to utilize it to use it's full potential.

The only way to show a demand for it is to tell Nintendo. Anything is worth a shot.

It's not that difficult to code software to have more detail, etc at lower resolutions and take out some detail at higher resolutions to increase performance, if necessary.

For those of you who say it's not necessary, why not let those of us with HDTVs have the option? I don't care for the aliasing on my 52" TV, and I'll be darned to play my console on a smaller set.

3mpathy said:
The specs for the wii are less than an xbox, and untill we see a game with graphics that prove otherwise it is falling well below the xbox in the visual department, if the wii could have hd its a safe bet they would have done it already. Hell just compare carbon on xbox to carbon on wii.....ewwww visualy and frame rate wise on the wii :(

I believe you two are talking about two different consoles.
The original poster is saying the wii is more powerful then xbox1, not xbox360.
The xbox1 was not much more powerful then the gamecube, and the wii is about twice as powerful as the gc.

So I just got a reply from Nintendo:

Hello and thank you for contacting Nintendo,

I am pleased to hear that you are enjoying the Wii console, and I appreciate
your taking the time to share your comments regarding the "jaggies" on your
high-def display. Rest assured that your e-mail and recommendations will be
forwarded to the appropriate department for further review.

Thanks for your email and good luck with all your games!

Nintendo of America Inc.
Bruce Mann

Nintendo's home page: http://www.nintendo.com/
Power Line (Automated Product Info): (425) 885-7529

-----------------------------------------------------------

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:
-----------------------------------------------------------

I have recently purchased a Wii and am very satisfied with it except for one
aspect. When using this system on a HD TV with component cables there are many jaggies on the screen because of the low resolution (480p) output of the Wii. I was hoping that at some point in the future that a software update would be released allowing the Wii to be displayed at 780p, 1080i, or 1080p so that the jaggies would be much less apparent. This would not be an unprecedented update, as the Xbox 360 has already released an update allowing it to play games at 1080p. An update like this could be the finishing touch to a great console, and help out the graphics a lot (and help sway many of the buyers who prefer the Xbox 360 and PS3 because of their superior graphics) Thanks for your time. Just thought I'd put in my two cents and leave some Feedback. Aside from this one complaint the Wii is great and I am having a blast playing it.

looks like a standard reply, but they did at least read your e-mail as can be seen by the "jaggies" comment.

Note, 780p is not a standard high def resolution, i believe you meant 720p

You actually thought Nintendo would magically put out a new wii with high def support? Games have to be developed to support 720-1080p.

If you wanted high def gaming, you bought the wrong console.

vagrant said:
You actually thought Nintendo would magically put out a new wii with high def support? Games have to be developed to support 720-1080p.

If you wanted high def gaming, you bought the wrong console.

I dont want a new wii, I want a software update that would enable 720p resolution for the wii I already have.

I didn't buy the wrong console, because my Wii is awesome and I love it even without the HD support, but if it had HD support it would be perfect.

If they were able to support 720p I'm sure that game designers could start designing future games to support that resolution.

It doesn't hurt to put your two cents in to Nintendo.

Maybe someone could put together an online pettition where people could sign saying that they would want their Wii to have HD support. I don't know how to do this, if anyone knows of a good website I'd put one together.

Last edited:
2ZeBeach said:
I dont want a new wii, I want a software update that would enable 720p resolution for the wii I already have.

I didn't buy the wrong console, because my Wii is awesome and I love it even without the HD support, but if it had HD support it would be perfect.

If they were able to support 720p I'm sure that game designers could start designing future games to support that resolution.

There is no software update that would magically make the Wii capable of displaying 720p. You would need a different chipset, which means different equipment, which means more $$$.

When it becomes cheaper to produce HD chipsets and audio licenses from Dolby and DTS, that's when you will see it.

dreamcastrocks said:
There is no software update that would magically make the Wii capable of displaying 720p. You would need a different chipset, which means different equipment, which means more $$$.

When it becomes cheaper to produce HD chipsets and audio licenses from Dolby and DTS, that's when you will see it.

But if less powerful consoles can support 720p then why wouldn't the wii be able to do it?

2ZeBeach said:
But if less powerful consoles can support 720p then why wouldn't the wii be able to do it?

Would you have paid for a $450 Wii?

They could have done it, but they would have been no where close to the $250 price that they wanted. Yes, the Xbox can handle 720p, but it was initially $300, and they were losing over $100 per console.

Nintendo does not like to lose any money on their consoles. In fact, they are still making a little off of their Wiis, where MSFT/Sony are losing oodles.

OKAY. LISTEN. The xbox 360 was able to recieve an update for 1080i.. .correct? This is because the xbox's hardware was already capable of this. Is the wii capable of it? If it is not a high def system, then I DOUBT that it will have highdef resolution. just my opinion dude.

Deathmetalmaster said:
OKAY. LISTEN. The xbox 360 was able to recieve an update for 1080i.. .correct? This is because the xbox's hardware was already capable of this. Is the wii capable of it? If it is not a high def system, then I DOUBT that it will have highdef resolution. just my opinion dude.

480p is as good as it gets.

2 be honest 5 years is too long 2 wait to play on HD from nintendo.
But still i will be happy as long as there will be more games for the wii than there was on the gc

Back