Internet connection in the UK on a US Wii

n8lucas

WiiChat Member
Apr 19, 2012
Kirby Muxloe, UK
Hello

I am looking for help in updating and connecting my Wii to the internet. We have moved to the UK from the US, purchased a new power supply - no issue there, but can't seem to update via web on the Wii. It would appear that the Wii is blocked on the UK wireless internet. Does anyone know if there is a method/process to get around this? I am wondering if I can change the settings in the console to UK without changing the format and blocking all the games we have, but yet allow this to updated the 'firmware' and connect to the internet. Thanks for any advice.

Region locks on the Wii are pretty nasty, and as far as I know, there isn't any way; even for Nintendo themselves; to convert all the NTSC programming into PAL. The only way you'll be playing games on that Wii again is if you do some illegal modifications, the kind of which are really risky... You'd be far better off selling that Wii and your games and put whatever cash you can get (which won't be much unfortunately, since NTSC games and an NTSC Wii obviously aren't gonna sell in the UK) into a new Wii.

Sorry to say there ain't much good that can come out of this predicament.

HI Freak, thanks for the response, but I think we are talking two different things. We have no issue playing the US games, and only buy US games, as the lock is on. TV came from US, so no issue with any conversion, The Wii did work on the UK TV too - not sure there is a PAL to NTSC issue with the RCA plugs...Anyway, the issue I have is I'd like to connect the Wii to the internet - my wireless router, I have 2 signals in the house- the SKy provided box, and the US one I brought over. Neither will allow the Wii to connect, which I believe is a regional thing - same reason my US TV will not connect to netflix or Pandora (I think Pandora is blocked due to UK regulations?)...Any further ideas to allow a USA Wii to connect to the internet?

Oh... I don't know what in god's name compelled me to write about region locks on games, I could of sworn I was responding properly. Perhaps I sort of tricked myself since Wiichat's gotten quite a few questions regarding said region locks. My apologies for giving such a boneheaded response...

However, everything I said still applies to a Wii's NTSC programming. NTSC Wii's aren't compatible with the wi-fi services Nintendo offers in the UK. I don't believe there's any way, legal or illegal even, to allow a US Wii to use most if not all internet-based capabilities, outside of the US.

Back