Is it possible to return games bought on VC?

composer

WiiChat Member
Jul 22, 2007
I bought some virtual games from the shop channel a few days ago. They are terrible! Can I return them and get my points back for something better. Since they authorize the system's downloads, they should be able to deauthorize it too!

ya i wish you could use demos of the game in full for a bit so you can see if you like them but nope there is no way

Games can't be returned for the points value after purchase. It's important to read terms of purchase before you hit the yes button.

Last edited:
There's really no excuse for buying a bad game off the VC. :/ I'm not a nintendo fanboy, but how can you be tricked into buying a product that's been a known POS for over a decade?

In the future, take advantage of google and wikipedia before buying games. I also recommend www.vc-reviews.com since they have reviews of all VC games released in the US and EU, plus demo videos, user feedback, and blah blah blah.

Tairusu said:
There's really no excuse for buying a bad game off the VC. :/ I'm not a nintendo fanboy, but how can you be tricked into buying a product that's been a known POS for over a decade?

In the future, take advantage of google and wikipedia before buying games. I also recommend www.vc-reviews.com since they have reviews of all VC games released in the US and EU, plus demo videos, user feedback, and blah blah blah.

You can't always know which games you'll like and which ones you won't. Same goes for films, TV programs, books, and any other media. Sometimes you'll just hate something regardless of how great every reviewer has said it is (case in point- I hate Halo). And a video of the game doesn't show you everything (e.g. how good the controls are, and particular sections of the game that might be much worse than what you saw in the video).

Hi there,

I agree that doing some research on games before you buy them could save some frustration.

However,

I just downloaded yoshis story without checking up on its reviews. Stupid me! I thought this was a safe purchase due to other mario/ yoshi games like yoshis island were a challange and were very fun to play. but man was i disapointed! finished the game in less than an hour on my first try. was this game designed for infants? jezz!

Napalmbrain said:
You can't always know which games you'll like and which ones you won't. Same goes for films, TV programs, books, and any other media. Sometimes you'll just hate something regardless of how great every reviewer has said it is (case in point- I hate Halo). And a video of the game doesn't show you everything (e.g. how good the controls are, and particular sections of the game that might be much worse than what you saw in the video).

I agree with you (Halo was pretty bland.), and my other post came across as a bit more critical than intended.

However, especially in the case of VC games, you generally know what you're getting into with just a review, or a demo video. People have had over a decade to find flaws, speed run, and generally try to break the games and their reviews are going to reflect that, rather than what game has the biggest polycount or the brightest bloom effects.

You might have noticed that I don't want to commit myself too deeply to this argument since I don't know what games the OP downloaded, or if his problem is with these specific games or retro gaming as a whole. :)

You can download a ROM if you are really desperate. This is a warning to anyone using VC. Download the game only if you know it's not awful. That means checking out review websites, and not going on gut instincts. Gut instincts bad, learning where to get proper info on a game is good.

Games I bought

The games were--
World Sports Competition
Moto Roader
Sonic the Hedgehog 3

I bought the first two because I already had one classic controller and 4 gamecube controllers and wanted to be able to play 5 player games. (I didn't buy Bomberman since I already have Jetters.)

Perhaps they will grow on me. Sonic is probably a good game--haven't played it much yet (has anyone noticed that Donkey Kong Jungle Beat is a very similar game to Sonic?)

Note all three get good reviews. In fact, the two 5-player games were the best reviewed of all the 5-player games except Bomberman.

I had bought Super Mario Bros. previously and absolutely love it....

Has anyone looked at some of the reviews out there for VC games like at Gamespot.com? They gave Metroid a 5 out of 10. Several other VC games they have reviewed they gave them really low scores in comparison to what I would have given them.

Gamespot gave Zelda TP a 8.9 out of 10. Their reason? It's more of the old game mechanics modernized. They will give any game a low score that's old school with modern graphics. They are also huge FPS fans. They gave games like Halo 2, and Bioschock insanely high scores when lined up against games like Final Fantasy. They also don't have the guts to rate games a 1 out of 10, no matter how bad they can be. Gundamn for the PS3, or Super Man Returns should have recieved -1 out of 10.

It's a simple formula. Rate hype games high, good games between 7-9, and bad games 4-6. Almost never venture near perfect scores of 10, and lower scores of 1. this allows them to take the safe middle ground and offend fewer people. Corporate BS at it's best.

sagema said:
It's a simple formula. Rate hype games high, good games between 7-9, and bad games 4-6. Almost never venture near perfect scores of 10, and lower scores of 1. this allows them to take the safe middle ground and offend fewer people. Corporate BS at it's best.

Very true. The 1 - 10 system is borked anyways, since by that scale 5 should be an average game in a completely playable condition, but they usually rate that type of game as a 6.5 - 7. :/ I try not to pay attention to the numbers, but whenever you see a game site/magazine that uses a 1-10 scale (or worse yet, a 1-100 scale!) you know they're kissing some body's ass.

Oh, and about those games. Which site gave them good reviews? Sonic is a winner, no doubt about it, but all the reviews I've seen for the other two are mediocre at best.

Last edited:
sagema said:
Gamespot gave Zelda TP a 8.9 out of 10. Their reason? It's more of the old game mechanics modernized. They will give any game a low score that's old school with modern graphics. They are also huge FPS fans. They gave games like Halo 2, and Bioschock insanely high scores when lined up against games like Final Fantasy. They also don't have the guts to rate games a 1 out of 10, no matter how bad they can be. Gundamn for the PS3, or Super Man Returns should have recieved -1 out of 10.

True. Gamespot will probably be one of the websites that gives Halo a perfect 10 where 9 out of the 10 points will be awarded for fanboyism. BTW, perfect 10 ratings shouldn't exist anyway. Every game has its flaws and moreso, reviews are highly subjective. Unless Halo 3 is radically changed, it will be the "same old school game with modern graphics", well, not that old school.

Back