is religion real ?

^That is with the assumption that the God you speak of isn't "telling" you which one it is, which is something that people tend to have different views with.

Ugh. Jon, You're really coming off as arrogant. Reread the last few pages. It's like every Christian that comes in here, you're burning, and with that, getting more arrogant.

Not only that, it seems like you're becoming more ignorant as you go as well. You're attacking religion which I don't think you fully understand at all, and then begin passing off atheism as fact.

For instance you mentioned the four authors of the bible and told something negative about each. Guess what? those four didn't write the bible at all. They passed it on by word of mouth to their 'pupils' if you want to put it that way. It got passed down again by them, until finally, someone got the idea to set the accounts of Jesus' life on paper.

As for myself, Been in Catholic School my whole life, and I'm far from the most religious guy out there.

Navarre's right. Put yourself back in the shed.

wow first i didn't disrespect any christian who replied to the thread get that straight because for a while we were having a good debate. read all the pages if you are going to come in and straight out insult someone.
also as for the last remark you said you should learn how to read i never said they wrote the bible i said the 4 people who gave credit to the bible, and not existing isn't negative its the nothing it cause they weren't real.
everything i said was fact. all that have been documented.

i'd appreciate if the next time you post do so in a acceptable manner, cause if not i will ask the mods to lock you out.

That's kind of my philosophy- sort of a reverse Pascal's Wager. If I'm right and God doesn't exist, then obviously it doesn't matter if I believe in him. If he exists, and is a benelovant deity who doesn't care if you believed in him or not as long as you try to be a good person, then that's great. If God exists and demands you follow the right religion without telling you which one it is, then well, I wouldn't want to hang around with someone like that for eternity anyway.

I believe technically Hell isn't even mentioned in the bible. I think it may have been 'added' through society over the years.

People resorting to personal insults in a religion thread...
Who would've known....

The whole "if you don't believe you go to hell" thing makes me disbelieve most religions. I don't think a person should go to hell based on making a wrong guess. I just try and be a good person, as I'm sure that's what any religion would want you to do. 'cause if God sent a person who donated millions of dollars to charity or something of that caliber to hell because they weren't his religion he'd kind of be a dick. I'd like to think of God as not being a dick if he exists.

This. Mahatma Gandhi going to hell in any religion doesn't sit right with me.

^That is with the assumption that the God you speak of isn't "telling" you which one it is, which is something that people tend to have different views with.
Well the problem is, the Bible, the Quran, the Avesta and a few other books are all claimed to the true word of God. So is God sending mixed messages or what?

I believe technically Hell isn't even mentioned in the bible. I think it may have been 'added' through society over the years.
The Bible does mention a place called Sheol, a bleak and gloomy place which could be equated to Hell (it's more like the Underworld from Greek mythology than the fiery hell of Dante's Inferno).

Of course Religion is real, its the beliefs of religions that could be argued upon.

Last edited by a moderator:
While this is a debate, personal attacks against other members and their beliefs will not be allowed. Please try and refrain from insulting each other from now on. With that, I'll be backing back out of this thread. Also, please don't quote this post. This was meant as a simple warning, nothing else.

Alrighty then! Let's get the purpose of this post back on track! I've read some pretty interesting posts and I love controversial topics, hence why I bring them up all the time. But here is what our established Atheist (internet) friend is asking us, the readers and interested debaters: Is there a truth to religion, or is all religion false? In short, there can only be ONE true religion, or there is no "true" religion at all. For example, it's either: Christianity, or Atheism, and one of them is right (just an example). So Jon here is asking us (correct me if I'm wrong), or should be asking us:

Is there a true religion out there, do some parts of the most non-true religions (assuming the concept that there is one TRUE religion) actually come from God but have been fabricated by people (through the influence of an opposing force, ie Satan in Abrahamic religions)? Or, are all religions false and thus Atheism is the way to go? Which of the three do you believe to be the case, and explain your argument and we will debate it using this thread.

Again, correct me if I'm wrong, or use my proposed passage ^^ (or edit it) to clear up some of the mess piled up here. Thanks, I'll continue to post here!

Well the problem is, the Bible, the Quran, the Avesta and a few other books are all claimed to the true word of God. So is God sending mixed messages or what?

Islam overcomes that with claiming that the people of 'the Book' will go to Heaven so long as they live good lives. They believe the texts of the Torah and Bible to have been manipulated overtime or mis interpreted.

Here in Christianity, however, we cite Mohammed as a false prophet- mainly because he was a Gentile and his prophecies happened 600 years after the last prophet, John.

religion is one of the most influentual things in peoples lives, no argument there, but is it even real or is it people who just need something to believe in as a cooping mechanism to hold not only their sanity but their view that this world isn't as messed up as it is.

i'll leave it here so someone else can state what they think/believe.

How did I not see this thread for so long?

Religion fails. That is my argument.

wth all i am saying is i don't like useless posts. expressing what you believe isn't what this thread about.
also i do not hate anyone belonging to any religion, i have many friends and family who are die hard Christians. i didn't disrespect anyone's beliefs i simply stated mine.
also i am getting tired of people not providing a debating post seeing how thats what this thread is about.

i also already said that if you are happy with your beliefs then you shouldn't care what others think and simply go on being happy. for those who called me arrogant that was simply retarded cause all i did was say my beliefs.

edit: ha ha and die being lonely yeah right. i have someone and we are both happy. been together about 9 months now , also i never called anyone weak or evil what the hell stop trying to portray me as the a dick cause i didn't say that.

2nd edit: also how am i arrogant for trying to get people to better themselves for themselves?

last edit: also i do apologize if anyone was hurt. didn't mean to hurt anyone like the post said.

Expressing what you believe obviously is what this thread is about, seeing as it would be dead long ago if not. A simple yes or no answer won't satisfy people, you should understand that. It is religion, after all. So, is religion real? Uh... Yes. Are you happy? There can't be a debate without people expression their beliefs.

Blahblah, I'm Catholic. Letz all burn him. I believe that good people would go to heaven despite their religion, unless they displayed absolute hatred to God or something. There is no way that God will birth people into essentially... hell if they're of another religion. I think he knows quite well that you're not going to be heavily influenced by Christianity when you don't have knowledge of it and you're in a country that won't... approve, to say the least.

Back