Just bought myself an HDTV.

D1nner said:
Actually, you cant.. since normal TVs dont have the red blue green output for the component cables and the normal TVs dont have support 480p input.

Dont think youve ever played on an HDTV...

exactly
edit: damn sory for double posting

D1nner said:
Actually, you cant.. since normal TVs dont have the red blue green output for the component cables and the normal TVs dont have support 480p input.

Dont think youve ever played on an HDTV...
D1nner, my tv is standard def and, trust me, it has the the green, blue and red output at the back. 480p is a standard thing.

and my eyes hurting, its not cuz of tv. i only play a couple of songs of gh3 and thats about it. i watch like less than 1 hour of tv and thats not me... i have to watch like... a lot hours!!! but, since the writers strike, theres nothing good on tv and my hand is tired of playing to much gh...

LiquidD said:
D1nner, my tv is standard def and, trust me, it has the the green, blue and red output at the back. 480p is a standard thing.

didn't know that

if i had a camera, i would take pics of my standard tv and those blue, red, green cable output... but i don't so... whatever.

LiquidD said:
those wii component cables hardly make a difference. besides, you can use them in any tv since its just 480p. not really high def compared to everything else...

480p is actually 720x480 progressive. This IS considered Digital and is a wide-screen format, and does not display on "any" TV. Most CRT screens prior to 2004 will not support 480p at all. If they do, they down convert to 480i which really degrades the image quality. All LCD/Plasma TV's will display it fine.

480i on any TV larger than 27" will likely look crappy, while 480p will be good up to 60" (at certain distances). 480i on ANY LCD will not look anywhere near as good as 480p.

If your TV supports 480p through component, you should spend the $15 for a set of inexpensive component cables for the Wii. I got mine locally, but even $9us plus $5s/h online is better than using the composite video. There's NO reason to spend even $30us for component cables and you'd be stupid to spend more than $50 for supposed "high quality" cables unless you're going to run the signal more than 20'.

strommsarnac said:
480p is actually 720x480 progressive. This IS considered Digital and is a wide-screen format, and does not display on "any" TV. Most CRT screens prior to 2004 will not support 480p at all. If they do, they down convert to 480i which really degrades the image quality. All LCD/Plasma TV's will display it fine.

480i on any TV larger than 27" will likely look crappy, while 480p will be good up to 60" (at certain distances). 480i on ANY LCD will not look anywhere near as good as 480p.

If your TV supports 480p through component, you should spend the $15 for a set of inexpensive component cables for the Wii. I got mine locally, but even $9us plus $5s/h online is better than using the composite video. There's NO reason to spend even $30us for component cables and you'd be stupid to spend more than $50 for supposed "high quality" cables unless you're going to run the signal more than 20'.
strommsarnac, 480p is stanard. why do you that everyone says that the wii is not really true hd? cuz 480p is a crappy enhanced resolution. 480i is standard on all tv's. 480p is just a little enhancement from 480i and really... im not sure what you're trying to say....

you say "Most CRT screens prior to 2004 will not support 480p at all. If they do, they down convert to 480i which really degrades the image quality," and that doesn't makes sense. can you make a little more sense here...

and yeah, if you pay anything above 15 bucks for those component cables, ur dumb.

LiquidD said:
then, you tv is just bigger. i'm comfortable with my smaller tv since big ass tv's hurt my eyes..... my eyes are weird. always red and crap... it's like i don't sleep but i do but they're still red and hurt....
i can bet thats bcause your on your computer all the time, i get the same problem :D u should try those eye drop things

480p = EDTV
720p and higher = HDTV

For any large display Super Mario Galaxy is awesome :). Just get the wii component cables if you have an HDTV, it's just $15-$30 US. If you have an HDTV with a native resolution of 720p+, get the component cables to minimize any lag from scaling up from 480p to 720p+.

Older CRTs don't do 480p at all. I tried it once with my GC and a Sony WEGA CRT...garbage display. Newer displays that do 480p,720p,1080i and 1080p have to mess with scaling a Wii resolution of 480i/480p to its native resolution.

Last edited:
I think I should join the club as well. :lol:
I recently bought myself an HDTV for my room and my PS3 games look great on it. Unfortunately, even with component cables, there is this slight blur when playing my Wii. Does anyone know why this is so?
Anyway, congrats on your purchase.

If you have an HDTV you really do need to buy the component cables to use the enhanced graphics, otherwise the picture would appear worse (slightly blurry/out of focus) than it did on your original TV because of the bigger sized screen. The component cable makes things appear much sharper with clearer lines. Once you have the cables you do have to adjust the Wii screen to 460p. I recommend that you don't buy the £20 Nintendo Wii component cable as it is over priced for what you get - I bought a joytech one from Play.com for £10, and when compared to a friends Nintendo cable there was no noticable difference.

One thing to bear in mind is that some games that have been saved in non HD format will not be playable in HD format (Mario Olympics for example).

I hope this helps

Byuakuya said:
I think I should join the club as well. :lol:
I recently bought myself an HDTV for my room and my PS3 games look great on it. Unfortunately, even with component cables, there is this slight blur when playing my Wii. Does anyone know why this is so?
Anyway, congrats on your purchase.

Have you changed the Wii TV Type settings to HDTV 480p?

Sorry buddy, can't understand why this would be - perhaps a faulty cable? The difference for me when changing to 480p and Joytech component cable was quite an improvement, especially on Res Evil.

Back