Looking for a TV... plasma or LCD.

Man,

a lot of people really don't know their stuff :) OP, please don't just go by these opinions.. research yourself a bit more. Ofcourse, if you have the interest the best place for these is http://avsforum.com there's enormous information there.

firstly, Burn-in is no longer an issue with Plasmas. There's minimal effect, and if there is, it's perhaps over several years before which you'll junk the TV for a new one. But there's no way you're going to get a good plasma for 600 bucks!! You'll have to go over 1000 bucks.

For medium (32inch or less) there are LCDs available these days which might be good bets.

If you want 50inch+ excellent values can be had in rear-projection sets like DLP or LCD projection HDTVs. These have pictures every bit as good as "direct view" LCDs and plasmas but are much cheaper because it's cheaper to manufacture them. One disadvantage is that since the screen is a sheet of plastic if you throw things at it it will break lot easier than a direct LCD or plasma monitor. But otherwise, around 700-1200 bucks you'll get fantastic 50-60 inch monitor and DVDs/TV or games will be fantastic.

I've been reading several avs posts and some articles that the DLP bulbs have a much shorter lifespan than advertised. Something like replacing them every 1.5-2 yrs instead of 2-3x that. Just a FYI to look into it if you go DLP :).

I got a 32-inch Olevia LCD from Circuit City for $649. Before that I had a 27-inch. Amazing TV for the price and it has high marks from consumer reports. Unless you plan on dropping over 1k, dont pay for a samsung or sony. You can get a much larger olevia/ westinghouse/ vizio for the same price as a 26 inch samsung/ sony/ sharp.

just dont be a sucker and buy the extended warranty. you get a 1-year manufacturers warranty from those companies and if a TV is going to be broken it will be DOA or will break in the first 30 days.

You can check out like a bestbuy, circuitcity or frys website to find all great kinds of good tvs you wanna check out as well and even on the newspaper ads too... make sure you get like a LCD HDTV or something.

I love my 50" Panasonic Plasma, ~$1400. I've been using it more for HDTV and PS3. But with the new addition of the Wii to my family, I'm sure it will get even more use.

Watch websites like hot-deals.org (I have no affiliation, they just post good deals) for good prices on electronics.

As far as burn-in goes... TV manufacturers still provide warnings in their literature about burn in, but after 7 months of TV and video games I don't see a problem. The most important thing is not to set the TV to 'Vivid' color or brightness and leave your DVD player / video game / whatever paused forever.

I have a 19" LCD Samsung for my bedroom, its display is lovely. It cost £269 so thats around $550 odd for you.

You really don't need a HDTV if you have good quality LCD. Unless you plan on getting a 40"+ size TV, HD is not that great. In my opinion anyway.

I don't know why people are buying "tv's" for small screens. Buy a monitor. Higher resolution, better picture, better color, etc. All for the same cost. You can get a Dell 2407 (24" 1920x1200 so it does 1080p) for about $550 new.

Also, don't forget about CRT RPTVs. I have a 55" Mitsu which blows away every DLP RPTV up to 3X's the cost. It's not that much bigger either. Although, CRT RPTVs are getting hard to find.

strommsarnac said:
I don't know why people are buying "tv's" for small screens. Buy a monitor. Higher resolution, better picture, better color, etc. All for the same cost. You can get a Dell 2407 (24" 1920x1200 so it does 1080p) for about $550 new.

Also, don't forget about CRT RPTVs. I have a 55" Mitsu which blows away every DLP RPTV up to 3X's the cost. It's not that much bigger either. Although, CRT RPTVs are getting hard to find.

one, because that price is rather high, and two, because I have never seen a moniter with av or component imputs on it.

I actuall thought about it, but then dicided the price of the converter would not make it worth it at all.

The original poster is looking at spending upwards of $600, so $550 isn't too high.

Also, almost all 24"+ widescreen LCD monitors have component, DVI, VGA. Many now come with HDMI too.

FYI: DVI and HDMI are the same video signal. HDMI just includes audio in the same cable. So even though a monitor might not have HDMI, one can still use their HDMI output device (cable box, dvd player, etc.) with a DVI monitor and simply connect the device's other audio ports to something else. All that's needed is a $15 HDMI-DVI converter. That's what I do with my cable box and my TV.

I usually have my 360 Elite connected to my monitor via component. My Wii is connected to my TV most of the time since there's more room for friends.

I bought a Sharp AQUOS 42" recently with the friends and family discount and got it for $1000 (usually it around 2000$) It's a sweet TV. As everyone else has said...LCD is the way to go. BTW, for $600 you aren't going to get that large of a TV...probably around 30" if it's a decent TV.

BTW, make sure you get the composite cables and change the wii settings to 480p and 16x9 widescreen

If you can wait until you can afford ~$1000-$1500, maybe around the holidays? Both LCD and plasmas at that price point are IMO in the "good value" category. WAY better than anything in the $600 price range and still satisfactory enough for ppl that want a nice picture :).

Back