Planning to camp out for Wii Dec 17, need tips

i was 3rd in line for 29 consoles.. 25 hours

Last edited:
people are still having to camp? Wow!.. I had no idea it would be this bad, everyone told me I was crazy for camping at launch. :)

I camped from 4pm Nov 18 at a Kingston Ontario BestBuy store, we had a great time.. Kept a list of everyone in line and in what order they came/gave out numbers, knew how many were in stock, built a fort etc etc...(I was 1 of 42 :D)

Anyone interested in watching a video of that night lemme know and I may post it up on youtube.

put it up! i just got pics from the people we were waiting with. i'll post em as well. but like you did 5010, i got every1's name and number to add em on my address book. it was awesome!

Sweet, I wish I took down the names of people in line with me so i could add them to my Wii, at least the ones that got one.

wongasta said:
so... it is generally agreed to camp 3-4 hours before it come? or day before?
Between console launches and Black Friday sales, I'm a veteran.

#1 Rule of Thumb: Honestly determine the longest you are willing to camp, and add 1/2 an hour. If your max is 3 hours, get there 3.5 hours before the store opens. If you show up at that 3.5 hours before opening and are 60th in line for a store that might only get 30, then you know that you simply weren't willing to do what it takes to get one at this time. But... if you were willing to wait 5 hours, but only show up 3 hours before opening and you're 60th in line for those 30, you will be 2nd guessing yourself and kicking yourself for not getting out earlier.

I have never regretted camping out LONGER than necessary to get the item I'm looking for. And I have always regretted camping out LESS time but getting skunked out of what I wanted.

The Wii is awesome. If you end up camping out 5 hours before the store opens, are 3rd in line and get a Wii (and any extra remotes/nunchuks), I guarantee that you won't think, "gee, I could've showed up 2 hours before opening and still have gotten one." You will be so delighted you got one that it really doesn't matter after that. I hear that it is similar to giving birth to a child. :lol:

Scope out the stores in your area. Know which ones will have orderly voucher systems (avoid any stores that have dash-n-grab free-for-alls). Get an idea of how many units each store will have.

Target seems to have had a decent supply. I scored one on launch day at the local Target (plus extra Wiimote, nunchuk, and classic controller)

Try to hit the store with the earliest opening time. You'll have to camp out a bit earlier for it, but that turns off a lot of the less determined campers. The local Target opens at 8am, getting there at 3am would give you a good shot at one without going nuts.

A previous poster said to avoid liquids. Absolutely. refrain from liquids at least 2 hours before you go, and try not to drink anything on line. If you need to camp outside, dress for it. thermal underwear, gloves, face mask, layers. Better to be too warm and shed some layers than to freeze.

Bring a good attitude. If you are camping at a store with a voucher system, then the people on the line with you are more of a comrade than a competitor. Be friendly to those that are on line around you. It makes the time go by faster (and it will help you determine if they are going to try and sneak a friend into the line right before opening).

Last edited:
That guide is VERY helpful... the longest time I'm willing to wait will be that of 4 hours. Which is about, 4 o clock in the morning.

Thank you very much, I'll need to study for finals right now. After 2 more days of final I'll be free... and off to get a wii! whee

I am overkill camping out. I'm going to get there on Saturday evening and start a line if one hasn't already been started. I don't care if it's unnecessary, I'm tired of not having a Wii. I will make sure I get one.

i actually camped @ 11pm at night... people that came at 6am wereturned around since they were not in the top 60 =]

I got in line about 10pm the night before and waited the whole time. The store I was at did not have a dash and grab, but a first come and first serve (I guess its the same thing) but it helps to be friendly with your neighbors by far.

When the store I was at opened, I wasn't paying attention to what the clerk said and got excited about my wii (I was first in line) so basically I walked somewhere I shouldn't and "lost" my place in line, however the people I was in line with stopped me before I got too far and said, "its right here"

It definitely helps to form a comrade type relationship with them. As for the liquid comment I made, I saw two guys in my line have Hot chocolate, and one was having a very bad time with his bathroom issue. However because of the comrade like relationship, we saved his spot and he went off to the bathroom. You'll know when the people are genuine or not.

P.S. Take this opportunity to get some peoples "instant message" screenname or email so you can add them via Wii later on, that is if there is a rather large line that forms, and its not 20 some other mothers.

i'm still undecided how long to wait...

some of you waited for like 8 hours, while some waited for only 4 hours... errr

The only thing I'm worried about is whether or not they will allow camping at the store. If not, do you think it would be worth it to just sit in the car until a line starts, or what?

Lazaruz said:
The only thing I'm worried about is whether or not they will allow camping at the store. If not, do you think it would be worth it to just sit in the car until a line starts, or what?

Sitting in the car is fine, just make sure that when people start showing up that you get your spot quickly.

Places usually don't care about camping out for a product.

Back