Pokemon X/Y

The issue isn't as much that it'll get him killed. The issue is that you're giving your opponent a 100% free turn. They can send in Dragonite to set up Dragon Dance and sweep your team. They can send in Talonflame, use Swords Dance, and sweep your team. They can send in MegaPinsir and nab a Swords Dance boost, and -- you guessed it -- sweep your team.

Dying sucks too tho.

In other news, Bulbapedia and other sources are not giving me a clear answer on how much HP Cheek Pouch heals upon consuming a berry. It's only viable on Dedenne, which would explain the apparent lack of interest on the subject, but I'm still a bit curious. I guess I'll have to test it myself tonight.

Last edited:
viable Dedenne

lolkarp.jpeg

Not a master on Greninja but I do use one. Hyper Beam will get him killed 90% of the time.

The idea would be t' use it prior to him dyin' regardless, and let 'em outright KO somethin' rather than just cripple it.

Hyper Beam will get him killed 99% of the time.

fix'd

Hyper Beam would give him another weakness to fighting.

Greninja struggles just to survive resisted CC (if only it got Shadow Ball...). Might not even be able t' take a neutral 252/+Atk Mach Punch from Conkeldurr, definitely not after just a tad of residual damage. Greninja is a glass cannon indeed, and shouldn't be focused on choosing attacks based on resistance changes. Situations where ya should are few and far between.

On that note, I wonder if HP Ground is worth usin' solely for the Electric immunity...

lolkarp.jpeg
I said I was curious, I never said it was anything close to viable. It doesn't even get a special fairy attack. If that's not an insult, I don't know what is. Don't ask me how a fairy type that learns flash can't use Dazzling Gleam...

*three

The utility of Spikes > HP Ground, even if your team already has a Spiker. Hydro Pump's neutral power is 165. HP Ground's SE power is 180. Is that really worth it?

If you're running Surf, maybe.

And even with Hydro Pump, ya don't know if that 15 extra BP might allow a specific OHKO or somethin'.

I'm not saying it's useless, certainly no. It would be useful to attack grounded electric types while making yourself immune to their STABs, but situations like that seem kinda rare. Setting up a layer of Spikes on them is also useful, but Spikes would serve more use way more often than HP Ground, methinks. Also, HP Ground means no HP Fire, which is probably the best HP to use.

Think 'bout the bigger picture. Spikes serve almost no purpose in 3v3 or Doubles/Triples (... do Spikes do damage when an opponent rotates in a Rotation Battle?). Spikes can break sashes, but you want Rocks for that. Otherwise Flying-types/Levitators keep their sash. Not that Alakazam cares either way. T'is what I'm wondering most about; in metagames outside standard OU, does HP Ground have enough merit to be used over Spikes?

That aside, what's HP Fire used for?

I think I just figured out why Dedenne lacks Dazzling Gleam...

http://www.serebii.net/itemdex/keeberry.shtml

It gets Natural Gift via breeding. 100 BP 1-time use Fairy move that, when used, boosts your defense (if I'm understanding the page correctly) and restores some amount of HP. That's sort of cool? It's...fun, I suppose.

252+ Atk Mega Heracross Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. +1 4 HP / 0 Def Dedenne: 210-250 (76 - 90.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Yeah, "fun" seems like the most accurate word to describe it. It can't even use the attack again to 2HKO, at least a lot of the time.

252 SpA Dedenne Natural Gift [Fairy, 100 BP] vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Heracross: 228-270 (62.6 - 74.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Dedenne Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Heracross: 102-121 (28 - 33.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Edit: Nevermind, forgot Natural Gift is physical, derp. It doesn't even get what would have been an awful, but at least cute, gimmick. Poor Dedenne.

Other spikers
And Scizor. Off the top of my head.

Last edited:
Scizor with no Sp.D investment get destroyed by Hydro Pump anyways. Though it might not be an OHKO with 252 HP. nick moar calcs plz /lazy

252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Scizor: 239-282 (69.4 - 81.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Scizor: 525-619 (152.6 - 179.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

This is what I've been using, by the way:
http://pokemonshowdown.com/damagecalc/

Back