PS3/Xbox 360, might buy one of the two, help...

sherwood3570

infused
May 20, 2007
Michigan
Wii Online Code
1830-2062-7374-0757
I thought that this was the best place for this. I'm considering a PS3 or a Xbox 360.

I know I could have searched for these answers by myself, to be honest...I have a really busy day ahead of me and searching for myself always ends up in fanboys swearing at each other, or numbers that honestly don't understand. I have always trusted most of you for information and answers. That is the number one reason why I love this site.

Okay, here we go....

Games-
I love RPGs. Morrowing, Grandia 2, and if you want to consider Zelda.

I like FPSs too. I liked the first Halo, wasn't so fond of Halo 2, Goldeneye, Ghost Recon, Unreal Championship, Metroid Prime, Call of Duty 2 and so on.

I'm not a big fan of mini-games, That's why I have a handheld and PC for. Although I am interested in Microsoft's arcade and whatever Sony has to offer for the games that look really fun.

Fantasy games are awesome, I'm always dreaming about good games, I just can't find them lol.

Online really isn't a must for me, but it would be a nice add-on.

I don't have tons of money, so I would probably be buying last-gen games for a while. I also want quality, I will buy name brand before generic.

I like the look of the PS3 much more than the 360, but the Elite catches my eye.
I currently own a Wii and an Xbox, I've never owned a Playstation and have only played one around 10 times.

I don't plan on spending big bucks on sports or racing games. I don't think it's worth it, since those games aren't worth zilche after a new one replaces it.

The 360 doesn't have a browser, am I correct? How is the PS3's compared to the Wii's?

Does the PS3 support custom soundtracks, (your own music during gameplay)?

That's all I can think about right now, I'll add more later if I can think of some more questions or concerns.

If your'e interested in helping me make my purchase, just check to see if I edited my post.

Thanks guys

Online really isn't a must for me, but it would be a nice add-on. (Xbox Live)
I don't have tons of money, so I would probably be buying last-gen games for a while (lots of great xbox fps games + fable/KOTOR1&2/morrowind etc)

Custom soundtracks & Ipod connectivity for games is great. + You have Mass Effect coming out in November - The Darkness just out - Halo 3 - Bioshock - too human etc...

sherwood3570 said:
Games-
I love RPGs. Morrowing, Grandia 2, and if you want to consider Zelda.
The PS3 would probably have more RPGs.

I like FPSs too. I liked the first Halo, wasn't so fond of Halo 2, Goldeneye, Ghost Recon, Unreal Championship, Metroid Prime, Call of Duty 2 and so on.
The 360 has tons of FPS, though not much of anything else.

Online really isn't a must for me, but it would be a nice add-on.
The 360 has very good online, but the PS3's is pretty good too.

I don't have tons of money, so I would probably be buying last-gen games for a while. I also want quality, I will buy name brand before generic.
The PS3 is much better if you want to play old games, since you have all the PS1 and PS2 games and almost all of them work if you get one now before they start taking out the Emotion Engine. The Xbox doesn't have as good of a game selection and the 360 just has shitty software emulation so a lot of games won't work or will have problems.

I like the look of the PS3 much more than the 360, but the Elite catches my eye.
Do looks really matter?

The 360 doesn't have a browser, am I correct? How is the PS3's compared to the Wii's?
No the 360 doesn't have a browser. The PS3's is ok, but the Wii's is much better just because of the Wiimote. That is unless you use a mouse on the PS3.

Does the PS3 support custom soundtracks, (your own music during gameplay)?
Unfortunately no, but it may be added in a future firmware update.

360 - It has a big back catalog of games where as the PS3 is in the same boat as the wii (ie hardly any games)

The PS3 might drop in price soon

But I say 360

In the UK

Still say 360
Even of its one of the loadest games thingys going
The PS3 is a damn fine bit of kit but with out quality games its pointles

I'd take 360 over PS3. For some reasons

-Game Selection for the PS3 is limited while the 360 already has a strong library.
-Upgrades: Even though the 360 hardware is crap, the PS3 can add on some more later on, a worthwhile wait. (colors, upgrades, etc.)
-Price: PS3 will probably have another price drop, $500 for this system won't cut it.

Sony-thief.jpg

RivalDestiny said:
I'd take 360 over PS3. For some reasons

-Game Selection for the PS3 is limited while the 360 already has a strong library.
Obviously, since the 360 has been out for so much longer. But if you compare what the 360 had at this point in its life, the PS3 kicks its ass.

-Price: PS3 will probably have another price drop, $500 for this system won't cut it.
The PS3 is much cheaper once you add everything in.

• Xbox 360 Elite - $480
  • HD DVD Drive - $200
  • Play & Charge - $20
  • Wifi Adapter - $100
  • Xbox Live - $250 (assuming you own the console for five years)
    [*]Total - $1050

• PS3 - $500
  • HDMI - $5
    [*]Total - $505

Now, you probably wouldn't need all of those things, but that is how much it would be to get them equally equipped. The 360 setup like that would have a bigger HDD, though the PS3's can be changed easily.

As for the pic about Sony copying ****, that shouldn't matter to you unless you work for Nintendo or you are a fanboy. It just makes the end product better for us.

If you like RPGs, then 360 NOT ps3.

Blue Dragon will be hot.

And paintballer don't be dumb and do the same noob thing the noobs do when they compare the 360 and ps3.

ZOMG 200 FOR HD-DVD DRIVE. WTF cares about HD-DVD drive.

Actually I just noticed you are a Mac fan...so that pretty much explains your ability to think logically.

vagrant said:
If you like RPGs, then 360 NOT ps3.

Blue Dragon will be hot.

And paintballer don't be dumb and do the same noob thing the noobs do when they compare the 360 and ps3.

ZOMG 200 FOR HD-DVD DRIVE. WTF cares about HD-DVD drive.

Actually I just noticed you are a Mac fan...so that pretty much explains your ability to think logically.
I'm just saying that the PS3 is a better value. You probably won't want all of those things, but that doesn't change the fact that the PS3 is a better value. And even if you just get the premium 360 and pay for Live it will cost more.
  • Premium 360: $400
  • Live: $250
  • Total: $650

• PS3: $500

And don't hate me just because you use an inferior OS. :smilewinkgrin:

paintba||er said:

I'm just saying that the PS3 is a better value. You probably won't want all of those things, but that doesn't change the fact that the PS3 is a better value. And even if you just get the premium 360 and pay for Live it will cost more.
  • Premium 360: $400
  • Live: $250
  • Total: $650

• PS3: $500

And don't hate me just because you use an inferior OS. :smilewinkgrin:

That's pretty retarded adding $250 up front for potential 5 years of live lol.

And inferior OS? MAC OSX is built on the "inferior" operating system I use along side windows.

vagrant said:
That's pretty retarded adding $250 up front for potential 5 years of live lol.

And inferior OS? MAC OSX is built on the "inferior" operating system I use along side windows.
Why is it retarded? People always look at the immediate price, but not what it will cost in the end.

About the OSs, it is just personal preference. I have a PC right under my Mac, but I rarely turn it on, and when I do I boot into Linux. (which is excellent) I just can't stand Windows and all its viruses. XP isn't too bad, but Vista is just ****. I put Vista on a partition of my PC and I removed it two weeks later. Anyway, enough of this, I'm off to watch E3.

I'd get a Ps3.. mostly because I haven't played a 360 much and I know the Ps3 is amazing from actually having one.

And if I bought a 360 I would want to get the HD DVD drive...

AND I just prefer the Ps3's games

You guys are a great help. From Sony's E3 preview...I'm starting to lean more towards Sony.

Systems that cost 4,5, and 6 hundred dollars better look damn good on my entertainment center lol. I know the 360 has a pretty good library of games, but with PS3 I can play most of the old PS2 and PS1 games which I have never had the joy to play. I never experienced God of War or a ton of the FF games.

I already own a regular Xbox...so that rules out playing older games. The only thing thats stopping me is the price tag and the "somewhat" not as good library compared to Microsoft, alongside the fact that I trust Microsoft and am a lot familiar with their products. The 360 is a two year running machine almost and has had the time to work out bugs and what not. The PS3 just came out and has to have time to stretch it's legs. I don't want to get screwed, you know?

Is there anything else that you guys could do to steer me in the other direction? I want to make a safe and fine purchase. $500 dollars down the drain would make me depressed. I don't want to start a flame war. I just like opinions and facts.

Edit: Also, since the 360 has almost 2 years on the other consoles...Am I going to get 2 year shafted when the next systems come out. Would it be like buying a PS2 in 2004??

Last edited:
Back