Rechargeable Batteries?

Anyway while were talking about this, I have a problem chargeing AA batteries, I have one of those energizer 15 minute chargers. The first few times I charged my batteries it worked just fine but now whenever I try to charge the batteries the red light starts blinking and it doesn't charge I use the energizer chargeable batteries. Please help

Last edited:
hopnestly it takes more then 15mins to charge a battery it should take 4 to 6hours.

buy a better charger off that site i listed and buy some batteries too. they are 1.50 a piece or less! good deal~

opitekk said:
hopnestly it takes more then 15mins to charge a battery it should take 4 to 6hours.

buy a better charger off that site i listed and buy some batteries too. they are 1.50 a piece or less! good deal~

My quick charger does it in 15 minutes. It was about $30 (US) and included 4 2200mah batteries.

EDIT: I probably have what wiifan123 has.
EDIT: 2200mah, not 2500

Last edited:
I agree that the fastest any reputable charger will do it is 1 hour. Those cost around $30 or so. The normal charge time is several hours for a regular reputable charger.

If you have a charger that claims less, that would set of red-flags in my mind. All sorts of products make all sorts of claims, there is reasonable and then there is shady. Just watch TV at 3am sometime to see the ads. Just because something makes a claim doesn't mean there's any truth behind it.

What are the brands and model #s of these chargers that claim 15 minutes?

Last edited:
wiifan123 said:
Anyway while were talking about this i have problem chargeing AA batteries I have one of those energizer 15 minute chargers. The first few times I charged my batteries it worked just fine but now whenever I try to charge the batteries the red light starts blinking and it doesn't charge I use the energizer chargeable batteries. Please help

Could be a defective battery according to the docs. Check it out

http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/ch15mn_instructions_english.pdf

sremick said:
I agree that the fastest any reputable charger will do it is 1 hour. Those cost around $30 or so. The normal charge time is several hours for a regular reputable charger.

If you have a charger that claims less, that would set of red-flags in my mind. All sorts of products make all sorts of claims, there is reasonable and then there is shady. Just watch TV at 3am sometime to see the ads. Just because something makes a claim doesn't mean there's any truth behind it.

What are the brands and model #s of these chargers that claim 15 minutes?

http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/CH15MN.pdf

Ok here's the deal on that charger:

- the 15 min time is only for when you use the special batteries that came with it
- These special batteries have a low internal resistance to allow super-fast charging. As a trade-off, you also get faster-than-normal "self discharge" rates. This is the rate that the battery will lose charge on its own, even when not powering a device.
- the insanely-fast charging is done by using higher charge voltages than most chargers. This stresses the batteries more and can lead to premature failure. Most likely the flashing lights are due to bad batteries.
- This rapid charging also causes the batteries to get hotter than normal chargers, which also shortens the cell life. The temps get even higher if you charge batteries that are already mostly-charged.

In short, this may charge some batteries in 15 mins but there's a price to pay. You're going to be buying new replacement rechargables that have to be Energizer batteries far more-often than you would otherwise. How convenient for Energizer, hmm? No wonder they put this sketchy product on the market.

sremick said:
Ok here's the deal on that charger:

- the 15 min time is only for when you use the special batteries that came with it
- These special batteries have a low internal resistance to allow super-fast charging. As a trade-off, you also get faster-than-normal "self discharge" rates. This is the rate that the battery will lose charge on its own, even when not powering a device.
- the insanely-fast charging is done by using higher charge voltages than most chargers. This stresses the batteries more and can lead to premature failure. Most likely the flashing lights are due to bad batteries.
- This rapid charging also causes the batteries to get hotter than normal chargers, which also shortens the cell life. The temps get even higher if you charge batteries that are already mostly-charged.

In short, this may charge some batteries in 15 mins but there's a price to pay. You're going to be buying new replacement rechargables that have to be Energizer batteries far more-often than you would otherwise. How convenient for Energizer, hmm? No wonder they put this sketchy product on the market.

Well you're not pointing anything I myself wasn't already aware of here. The thing has a fan built into it to help cool the batteries. I knew going into it what the trade offs would be but I am curious how much of a difference it makes, if the batteries can withstand the stresses better than others. Without some testing, you won't ever know. In the end, I can charge quickly and use fewer batteries.

mym6 said:
In the end, I can charge quickly and use fewer batteries.
Fewer batteries compared to what?

Fewer batteries than buying alkaline? Certainly.

Fewer batteries (and less money in the long run) than if you bought a better charger/batteries? Probably not.

Other people have done that testing. Check on Google.

My theory is: unless you chew through your batteries faster than an hour and need that 15-min charge time, you save far more money getting a good charger that doesn't prematurely kill your NiMHs. The Energizer charger is simply the "inkjet" of the battery world: sell the user a product that seems cheap in the beginning, but design it in a way that forces them to constantly buy consumables at a rapid rate, faster than they really should.

I bought a charger and a bunch of AA and AAA batteries several years ago, and I'm still using the same batteries today.

inkjet of the battery world. That is a good analogy.

Oh, Linux > BSD....I heard BSD was dying, netcraft confirms it.

Back