Routers

I recommend Linksys WRT54G version 8. I bought it a week ago from Walmart and it worked immediately. It was easy to set up, just enter the key you get when you set up your router. Channel 1 (the default) works fine but I changed it to channel 11 because my cordless phone interfered with it and would disable my DSL connection. I also changed the settings to keep alive.

It doesn't take long to download the virtual console games but the system update takes about 20 minutes.

Hope this helps anyone still router shopping. :smilewinkgrin:

Hay bro, sure you can help as i've got the same router as you. Netgear DG834G. It has latest UK firmeware but still can't connect, what are the main setting you have on your router. Not sure if my MAC filtering is enabled, would really appreciate your help mate.

Vadertuf

I currently have an Arris TM502G modem that is hooked up through Comcast for both internet and their phone service. I cannot get my Wii online at all. I am also running Windows Vista. Can anyone help me get online? I can't figure it out. I'm not very good with computers.
Thanks!

Yeh Boyz,

At last online. I disabled the WEP (now not secured:nono: ) and now using MAC filtering. Will have to use some form of security as not happy with this situation but at least online. Will prbly try WPA instead. So as soon as i turn off WEP BOOOM, down loaded the new updates and firmware for the Wii one time.

Vadertuf

I'm using a Belkin "G" Router. It worked awesome for like two months and then one day when it was snowy out our cable and internet was disconnected and now the Wii will not let us connect again. Our laptop is fine with it, but the Wii won't let us connect. Any thoughts?

Have u tried entering your Wii's Mac address into your router? Or try shutting off your security for a short while n see if that does the trick.

becca6281 said:
I'm using a Belkin "G" Router. It worked awesome for like two months and then one day when it was snowy out our cable and internet was disconnected and now the Wii will not let us connect again. Our laptop is fine with it, but the Wii won't let us connect. Any thoughts?

Sounds like an IP conflict, have you tried resetting the wii's connection settings? that would probably fix it.

Linksys Wireless Access Point WAP54G

gopha said:
I have a Linksys Wireless Access Point (WAP54G) connected to a Linksys Wired Router (BEFSR41). I have SSID (broadcasting off), MAC filtering and WPA (TKIP) on. I had to change the AP from 802.11 G only to Mixed (B & G).

I have this Access Point plugged into the wired network behind a homebrewed firewall system. I have SSID broadcasting ON, MAC filtering ON, and it works fine with WEP, WPA+TKIP or No Security. Despite it being a couple rooms away from the Wii, the Wii associates with it fine and works great.

I did run into one problem: my ISP runs a web caching service/web proxy that tries to speed up all web requests made by their customers. Even though the Wii could successfully request a web page during its connection test, it would still say it failed as long as the proxy was in the way. I had to request that my ISP set my account to bypass the proxy before the Wii would work.

Linksys WRT54GS (v5 iirc) Wii would not connect despite all efforts.

luckily i have a WRT55AG (v2) which i am using as an access point
thru' the 54GS....no problems yet!

Ste

stepeters-FrEe.jpg

I wasn't able to get online with the LAN adapter but I was able to get online with the WI-FI adapter even though Nintendo said it wouldn't work with Windows Vista. So now both my Wii and DS are online and working great!

Fritz!Box 7170

Besides the Fritz!Box 7050 I now also use the
AVM Fritz!Box Fon WLAN 7170
with WPA-TKIP.

The 7170 works as the base and the 7050 as the repeater. Linked via WDS in WPA2-mode. Works fine.

Back