Routers

I just bought my D-Link WBR-2310 and I only had to set the passkey into my Wii after setting up the router, and everything works perfectly fine, even though the router is 50-feet away and 3 walls away form my Wii :ihih:

I'm using a Linksys WRT54G and I had a weird problem. For some reason the only way I could get my Wii to connect to the internet was if I held my hand infront of it while it was connecting. I changed the router channel from six to one and it is now working.

Microsoft MN-700. Works great, due to my settings, I had to go into the Mngmt Console and allow my Wii's MAC, and I had to enter the access password along with the WEP 128-byte encryption code, but its set on G only, holds a very strong, solid connection.

My Last Word on the Belkin

conwayboys said:
me too I will also be getting PS3 and just now managing to get the Wii sorted. I had the belkin version au 4000 and its not compatible as posted I wrote to Belkin at the email address on their website and well surprise they are sending me a new Belkin version 6000 i have no idea if it works I will let you all know next week, see other posts re dlink dgl 4300, airport express and the nintendo usb connector, let me know how u go getting a router thats compatible with both Nintendo and PS3

I received the replacement belkin router F5D7230au4 version 6005 all clearly stamped on the underside of the box, in the shops it cost approx $100. As well as wireless it has 4 ethernet ports so that you can also conned wired computers. I linked my two wired computers, and plugged it all in like 3 mins. I first tried my work apple laptop, worked perfectly, i set the security and entered the key and all worked fine. Next the kids tried their DS"s they all worked perfectly one of them even going down the back garden, again they needed to enter the wep key only the first time. Lastly I went to the Wii console, entered the wep key and workes perfectly 3 bars. So after all the hype about $200 and $300 routers the basic BElkin works fine as long as its the correct version number. Thats F5D7230au4 ver.6005.

Happy Networking Conway Boys out.

WiiBad said:
What exactly is a router? Is it needed to connect the Wii to the net?

Yes.. in one way or another, a router is needed.

Since Wii's have a built in wireless adapter and they already have a wireless router, most people are going to connect their Wii's to the internet through a wireless connection via this wireless router. A wireless router is pretty much what it sounds like, it takes your internet signal and "throws" it out through it's antenna so it can be picked up by other devices, such as your Wii, wirelessly.

There are routers that are not wireless. If you have one of these routers, to connect to this, you would need a lan -> usb adapter for your Wii, there have been links posted here showing where to buy one, but I cannot tell you the quality as I am connected wirelessly.

I'm not sure if I've answered your question completely, so if you still have other questions, feel free to ask.

If I have a laptop with XP and a USB port, can I take the LAN adapter and plug into the laptop and Wii and connect directly to the net? Or do I need a router too? This is my confusion with a router. Thanks for responding.

ok guys this is for uk folks. i have a wii and am now connected.

im using a wired connection. i have the datel lan adapter and a speedtouch 510 4 port /modem/router this is recommended by aol. as im with them. it works fine no quesions asked.

heres the item i got. i got mine from ebay but heres their website and product.

http://www.dsl2u.co.uk/routers/004.html

get that, and a lan adapter from codejunkies.com or another site/place, for wired connection and your away

im with aol but it'll work with other isps i guess

:) hope that helps someone

---UPDATED---

Belkin Wireless G Plus MIMO Router F5D9230-4

Wii - Working well. Had to force channel 1. Auto select to channel 1 does not work.

DS - No problems at all. Once the Wii was set up, all I had to do was buy a DS and a WiFi game. Good to go!

CJ

Belkin F5D 7231-4
Working despite listed as incompatible, but only with a couple of settings changed. Using 128-bit WEP no problems.

Set wireless mode - 54g-LRS, Channel - 1, Protected Mode - ON

Router is version 1212uk, firmware 4.07.07

4 x PCs connected via ethernet,
3 x DS working fine
PSP working fine
Wii took ages but changing the settings as shown worked perfectly.

I'm using a "D-LINK WBR-1310" and only needed to bridge my dsl modem and set the wireless key and the wii had no problem.

Is the D-Link WBR 2107-9798 compatable with the Wii? Because I'm debating whether to get that or not.

Verizon Fios DI624

Has anyone had any luck connecting to a DI624 DLink provided for Verizon Fios?

I've worked with Wii support with no luck, my next step is working with Verizon on this issue. Apparently the firmware is not the default DLink but rather one provided by Verizon. I've updated to the latest Verizon software for the router but still no luck.

I search and find my access point but the connection test fails with a 5331 error (I believe that was the number). I've tried all of the suggestions I've found everywhere without any luck. Off the top of my head I remember trying.

1) Playing with WEP on and off
2) Changing channels 6, 1, 11
3) removing all ip filtering
4) Manual settings specifying DNS etc.
5) Same as 4 with DNS in reverse
6) Playing with various WEP encryption keys (Ascii, Hex, etc.)
7) Upgrade router software
8) I know there is more but I can't remember them at the moment.

I was able to successfully connect my laptop very easily at every stage of the above changes.

Please help!

Back