show off your pets!

Almo said:
lol sorry guys when i see a ferret my first thawt is the shotgun, over here in New Zealand we dont have any native mammals (apart from bats) so all of our extremely rare and endangered birds evolved without mammals. With the travel of people mammals have been introduced and they are one of the hugest problems in relation to the extiction and decline of our native species, ferrets are included in this big problem, so sorry guys but being a tree huggn greeny and conservationist ill have to say DIE! lol its bad enough me having a cat!
Umm...Ya your wrong, ferrets aren't part of the problem as there aren't wild ferrets, and if one gets loose it isn't able to live for more than a few days. Ferrets have been domesticated for far too long to be able to survive on their own. Don't talk about things you know nothing about.

paintba||er said:

Umm...Ya your wrong, ferrets aren't part of the problem as there aren't wild ferrets, and if one gets loose it isn't able to live for more than a few days. Ferrets have been domesticated for far too long to be able to survive on their own. Don't talk about things you know nothing about.
LMAO you cant be serious! try telling that to DoC (Department of conservation) who catch ****in hundreds of them every year! the problem is over there theres no food for them whereas here weve got plenty to eat, hang on ill try find you some statistic lol cause theyre a very very serious problem

here ya go mate, argue with these lol, i suggest its you who shouldnt talk about a countrys situation you know nothing about

http://www.forestandbird.org.nz/dawnchorus/ferret/index.asp
http://www.doc.govt.nz/templates/page.aspx?id=33460

if you keep clicking through links youll find more info, pay particular attention to:
'domesticated and wild ferrets are the same animal although some, but not all, pet ferrets are desexed. Pet ferrets and farmed ferrets do escape and while some animals might not survive in the wild, some do adapt.'

The_Loose_Cannon said:
ferretts are awesome but they smell :( thats the only flaw not a clean animal but they are really cool to own

lol...you live in NY and are still worried about smells????

you're dating an asian. Geez :sick:

Almo said:
here ya go mate, argue with these lol, i suggest its you who shouldnt talk about a countrys situation you know nothing about

http://www.forestandbird.org.nz/dawnchorus/ferret/index.asp
http://www.doc.govt.nz/templates/page.aspx?id=33460

if you keep clicking through links youll find more info, pay particular attention to:
'domesticated and wild ferrets are the same animal although some, but not all, pet ferrets are desexed. Pet ferrets and farmed ferrets do escape and while some animals might not survive in the wild, some do adapt.'
I did very little research and found that these were not actually ferrets, rather they were ferret (Mustela putorius furo) polecat (Mustela putorius) hybrids. There were ferrets released there, but the ones that survived were hybrids or polecats. Polecats are adapt to survive in the wild which is what allows them and the hybrids live there to eat these birds and stuff.

dfg.ca.gov said:
Many of the organizations promoting ferret pet-keeping in the U.S. have claimed that the ferrets have been domesticated so long that they are incapable of surviving long in the wild, and that the ferrets in the wild in New Zealand are not true domestic ferrets:

* "... they are wild European polecats in New Zealand." - The Independent Voice, ACME Ferret Company, 1993
* "...what's left in New Zealand is some kind of combo ferret-polecat hybrid". - Californians for Ferret Legalization, July 26, 1997.
* "...while the ferret was being transported by ship from England to New Zealand, it was allowed to mate with the European polecat. - The World Ferret Union and World Ferret Information Center.
* They "are not ferrets, but a crossbred between European polecats and ferrets..." - The World Ferret Union and World Ferret Information Center.
* "Since both domesticated ferrets and European polecats were released on New Zealand, any survivors would have interbred, meaning their offspring (virtually all feral fitch on the island) would be domesticated-wild hybrids; technically NOT domesticated ferrets." - B. Church in Ferret Central's Ferret Natural History FAQ
* "..in 1884 they released 3000 ferrets in the hopes they would become feral and take care of the rabbit problem. However, instead of the ferrets controlling rabbits, the rabbits controlled the ferrets--the released ferrets were completely destroyed. - California Domestic Ferret Association library and the 1990 Public Information Manual.

So in conclusion, these ferrets are not the domestic ferrets that we own, rather hybrids of them and wild european polecats. Also something I find funny is that you guys demanded that ferrets be imported into New Zealand so its kinda your own fault that these things are happening. Anyways, its not the same species so it doesn't matter and we have no reason to dislike ferrets. Especially since I am in America and I don't think my ferret is going to get on a plane and fly to New Zealand.

paintba||er said:

I did very little research and found that these were not actually ferrets, rather they were ferret (Mustela putorius furo) polecat (Mustela putorius) hybrids. There were ferrets released there, but the ones that survived were hybrids or polecats. Polecats are adapt to survive in the wild which is what allows them and the hybrids live there to eat these birds and stuff.

So in conclusion, these ferrets are not the domestic ferrets that we own, rather hybrids of them and wild european polecats. Also something I find funny is that you guys demanded that ferrets be imported into New Zealand so its kinda your own fault that these things are happening. Anyways, its not the same species so it doesn't matter and we have no reason to dislike ferrets. Especially since I am in America and I don't think my ferret is going to get on a plane and fly to New Zealand.

lol Accually theyre the exact same species, and yes its most certainly our (when i say our i mean humans) fault that there here, if we wernt here many of our species would be fine, and i agree that ferrets in thier homelands arent so bad as they cant do the same level of dammage there, its the same with any species thats introduced. nonetheless these are on a basic level still ferrets and will be called such here, fact is any ferrel mammal in our environment is bad and will be trapped and killed, unfortunately we are still allowed domestic cats and such

edit: sorry to justify that, yes our ferrets are hyrids but they are still the same species, they are possibly just a different ESU.

Last edited:
But I still don't understand why you have something against domestic ferrets? Domestic ferrets aren't causing any problems as they can't survive there. They definitely aren't causing any problems here in America. I doubt they would be a problem in New Zealand either, as almost all domestic ferrets bought from a ferret farm are desexed they wouldn't be able to breed, they wouldn't be able to survive if they got loose, and chances are they wouldn't get loose anyway unless you are a negligent pet owner. Thats like saying dogs are bad pets because wolves eat livestock.

paintba||er said:
But I still don't understand why you have something against domestic ferrets? Domestic ferrets aren't causing any problems as they can't survive there. They definitely aren't causing any problems here in America. I doubt they would be a problem in New Zealand either, as almost all domestic ferrets bought from a ferret farm are desexed they wouldn't be able to breed, they wouldn't be able to survive if they got loose, and chances are they wouldn't get loose anyway unless you are a negligent pet owner. Thats like saying dogs are bad pets because wolves eat livestock.
like i said there not a problem there but over here its different, and they do survive here, wether you agree or not doesnt matter, most of our exotic plants that are taking over are garden escapes, cats and dogs are also a big problem, and yeah dont start the whole but my dog wouldnt do that because ive seen plenty of domestic dogs rip apart a kiwi. and i dont think your in any position to say theyre not a problem here unless of course you can talk me through the entire ecology of a ferret (technically impossible as we'll never understand the full extent of any animal) plus i dont expect you to understand any of this properly as you dont have the extent of knowledge or understanding and i highly doubt youve even been to NZ so i dont expect you to understand anything about NZs flora and fauna and why there suseptable to everything. so hey you keep your ferret there and i wont blow it apart (and yes i do, as with anyones cat or dog that crosses onto my section into native bush, yep my cat lives inside and its not allowed out)

edit: yep and by the way we have alotta neglectant pet owners here

paintba||er said:
But you already admitted that they are hybrids, not domestic ferrets. Ughh...this argument is pointless....
lol yeah it is,maybe if you get the time bring your 'domestic' ferrets here (make sure you GPS tag them) and release them and follow them to see what they do, if you manage a full ecological investigation and find that after releasing 100 domestic ferrets and they all die without killing or harming a single hair of NZ wildlife then im sure DoC would pay ya alotta money. Maybe ill do it for my masters thesis lol, think you can smuggle me in 100 ferrets through biosecurity? (lol apparently there more strict than customs!)

I guess if 100 were released one or two of them may harm something, but since they wouldn't have eaten any live food before I doubt they would even know how to hunt, or what they should eat. This reminds me of a time not to long ago, when a city that is about a mile away from where I live found some 80 year old law about ferrets and the reasons were no longer valid. It was actually some cops that hated this lady and wanted to do something to harm her, so they found out she had a ferret, and dug through all the old laws until they found one that made ferrets illegal, because "they are wild animals and can't get rabies shots." Which is completely untrue, since they don't live in the wild and they can get rabies shots. Anyway lets end the arguing. No hard feelings? Oh, and thanks for getting me my third rep bar. :)

my skech of my cat

paintba||er said:
I guess if 100 were released one or two of them may harm something, but since they wouldn't have eaten any live food before I doubt they would even know how to hunt, or what they should eat. This reminds me of a time not to long ago, when a city that is about a mile away from where I live found some 80 year old law about ferrets and the reasons were no longer valid. It was actually some cops that hated this lady and wanted to do something to harm her, so they found out she had a ferret, and dug through all the old laws until they found one that made ferrets illegal, because "they are wild animals and can't get rabies shots." Which is completely untrue, since they don't live in the wild and they can get rabies shots. Anyway lets end the arguing. No hard feelings? Oh, and thanks for getting me my third rep bar. :)
lol yeah sweet as, lol not a problem, uve been here way longer than me and i overtook you in 2 days lol, decideed to start reppin people that help a bit more lol

Back