silly question, please help.

cassieboo

WiiChat Member
Dec 11, 2007
tampa, florida
Wii Online Code
7762-3578-9261-4977
I just wanted to know if anyone knew how much money you get back from trading in games? I'm not just talking about wii games, i just mean video games in general. I recently just went through a lot of my stuff & i'm getting rid of quite a few.

Also, would i get more money trading them in at game stop or blockbuster?

Thanks in advance!

Depends on the game and the system it's for.

If the game is rare or in demand, you will get good dollar for it. If it's a terrible game where Gamestop has 1000 copies of them used, don't expect much.

Depends on the game store, the quantity of the games they have (of the title you're trading in) and the age of the title. Of course, there always are factors such as condition, whether you've got everything it came with, etc.

Very little, if your planning trading something in, be prepared to get ripped off. Also, im not sure about the trade differences at Blockbuster/Gamestop.

T3kNi9e said:
Very little, if your planning trading something in, be prepared to get ripped off.
Yeah, that's the sad fact. I went to Microplay where they were selling one Donkey Kong 64, a banged up piece of crap cartridge for $49.99, I was wanting to sell mine and the expansion pack and packaging that came with it, he said he'd give me $5 in all seriousness. I looked at him, called him a con-artist and I haven't been to Microplay since.

This was 8 years ago.

Trust me, sell your stuff on eBay after looking around, you can sell yours as long as it's under the price of the used version of it and still make a lot more than a video-game store will give you. I prefer to keep my games anyways, memory sake and spur-of-the-moment play.

to avoid getting ripped off i would suggest being a bit more patient with your trades. For example you mentioned Block Buster, if there are used games for sale the trade in might be worht enough to get away with paying only 10-25 dollars for a game you havent played yet. Same goes for Game Stop, if you trade in an older title for a new one, you might not see much return; if the trade is for a used game you save more.

I know its hard to wait for that new game but, currently I am waiting out the PS3 price cut. Just remember--the games will always be available, and will always get cheaper with time.

I would not trade in games cause they will always rip you off you can buy a brand new game on monday for 50 unwrap it and then trade it in tuesday and you will probably get 20-25 bucks tops if your luckly. Either sell them on EBay or private party or just keep them.

big rip off just use ebay sold ps2 for 70 dollers
when gamestop only wanted to give me 30 =]

okay if it's a newer 360/PS3 game expect somewhere aroudn $27
if it's a newer Wii game expect somewhere around 20 (although i got 27 for metroid a month or two back)
if it's an older PS2 game, theres really no way to tell. anywhere from .50 cents to 15 bucks.

i usually trade in to gamestop, i like gamestop, they treat me good there. though they may rip me off on trade-ins the edge card really saves you money when trading in/buying used games so it really balances out in the end.

if you have 10 games to trade in for an older system expect somewhere around 60 buck for them wich isnt half bad.

Regarding the original question. Don’t Trade to Block Buster because they really do rip you off. You can get a pretty decent trade in at Game Stop if you have a couple things. The first is one of their discount cards. It really is a good del, not only for the subscription to Game Informer which is worth it right there, but because you get 10% of used games, and you get 10% on all your trade ins. Every month Game Stop also runs a coupon in Game Informer for and extra 10-20% extra on your trade in when you use your discount card. That means if you get 30% extra on trade in's. So your $15 for a game just became $20. Plus Game stop usually has their Trade in 3 games or more and get an extra 20% on trade in's. All this extra credit paired with 10% of a used game can make for a great deal. And yes you can get cash back but they take off 20%. Hope this helps.

Back