The Universe

Napalmbrain said:
If they find the graviton it'll actually do a lot to confirm the physics we already have. It looks like it's going to be difficult to detect one though...

Haha, now you're even further out. :D
h/(lambda) doesn't mean anything, and hc/(lambda) is not derived from E=mc^2. Here's some correct equations:

Gravitational force: F=GMm/r^2
Electromagnetic force: F=q(E+v><B) [where >< is a vector product]

Advanced scientific and mathematical equations???

*head explodes

Im more of an English/History kind of guy, ya know?

Dorkfish said:
Advanced scientific and mathematical equations???

*head explodes

Im more of an English/History kind of guy, ya know?

Advanced? You ain't seen nothing yet. Check out the wavefunction for a hydrogen atom:

35c9ab655a29fb503262b8daec9585b2.png

Napalmbrain said:
Advanced? You ain't seen nothing yet. Check out the wavefunction for a hydrogen atom:

35c9ab655a29fb503262b8daec9585b2.png

FFS!!! I don't even know what half of those symbols are!

Hey, i'm a sophomore in highschool dood, you can't expect me to know any of this. I don't even know what the letters stand for in the first 2 equations.

Don't worry, I wouldn't expect you to know it. Usually when solving an equation like that you'd use a computer. In fact, that equation is really even more complicated than it appears, there are other equations you have to solve to find L and Y first. :lol:

Napalmbrain said:
If they find the graviton it'll actually do a lot to confirm the physics we already have. It looks like it's going to be difficult to detect one though...

Haha, now you're even further out. :D
h/(lambda) doesn't mean anything, and hc/(lambda) is not derived from E=mc^2. Here's some correct equations:

Gravitational force: F=GMm/r^2
Electromagnetic force: F=q(E+v><B) [where >< is a vector product]

No way, h/(lamba) is the equation for the momentum of a photon. it could also be written as hf/c. And it is derived from einsteins E=mc^2. The only way to prove a photon has momentum is by einsteins energy/mass equivalency.

Ok so p=mv, but photons don't have mass, but they do have energy. So we can use einsteins E=mc^2. Solve for mass: m=E/c^2. Substitute that into p=mv: p=(E/c^2)v. But the velocity of a photon is always c, so that cancels with 1 of the c's on the bottom creating : p=E/c. And, as i stated in the wrong place in an above post, E=hf. Substitute in for E: P=hf/c. And because v=(lambda)f and v=c then p=hf/(lambda)f. the f's cancel and you get p=h/(lambda)

according to physics 30 of course =). they could easily have lied about that haha.

In the discussion of mathematics, it seems grammar has completely gone out the window.

Write an equation for the number of times "your" has been used wrongly. ;)

crazyman2 said:
No way, h/(lamba) is the equation for the momentum of a photon. it could also be written as hf/c. And it is derived from einsteins E=mc^2. The only way to prove a photon has momentum is by einsteins energy/mass equivalency.

Ok so p=mv, but photons don't have mass, but they do have energy. So we can use einsteins E=mc^2. Solve for mass: m=E/c^2. Substitute that into p=mv: p=(E/c^2)v. But the velocity of a photon is always c, so that cancels with 1 of the c's on the bottom creating : p=E/c. And, as i stated in the wrong place in an above post, E=hf. Substitute in for E: P=hf/c. And because v=(lambda)f and v=c then p=hf/(lambda)f. the f's cancel and you get p=h/(lambda)

according to physics 30 of course =). they could easily have lied about that haha.

gir__s_head_explodes.gif

That was me.

crazyman2 said:

My mistake, I completely forgot about p=h/(lambda). It's the de Broglie equation, something I should have remembered. :mad2:
It's like all the more complicated physics and maths I've learned in the past two or three years is pushing the easier stuff out of my head.

Haha, ya not the most advanced stuff ever. pretty much as advanced as i've been in physics tho.
Anyways, back on topic, i think the universe is really really big....... haha

Last edited:
Mr Adams put the sie of the Universe in a simple way

The univerese is big
Very big
You whoulndt belive how big it is
I maen you think its far to the shops but thats just penuts to space
Score another Hitch hikers ref

Back