This is why online gaming is a must..

ChristmasWii

WiiChat Member
Dec 25, 2006
Most people will agree that online play is not neccessary, but it's a very good luxury. When you think of the other two systems in Playstation 3 and XBOX 360, both have well established online. Well, where's the Wii's? Yes, we have received games that have mediocre at best Wifi in PBR, Strikers, Medal of Honor, and others. The games can get a good "quick fix," but leaving us empty after a few weeks.

The other systems main online games in Halo 3, Gears of War, Call of Duty 4, and Warhawk are STILL played at a constant rate. I personally own an XBOX 360, and there's still at least 5 people on my friends list playing Gears, and that is a year + game. The Wii is triumphant. However, triumphant in dishing out single player games. If you think about it, Metroid Prime 3 Corruption could of been AMAZING with online play. Different colors/ranked Samuses and the new suit upgrades come after leveling up. I agree, games like Super Mario Galaxy, Zack and Wiki, and Zelda don't need online, but Mario Party, Metroid, and WarioWare could of deserved it.

The Wii has too many games where you play and it's done. I think the only exceptions are Galaxy and Guitar Hero. I honestly, do not want to replay Zelda, Metroid, or even Resident Evil any time soon. Oh yeah, Brawl may change, but if we're spending $50.00 a game, we should be able to get the full value of it with very good online play. Now, I don't rely on my Wii for online play (hence owning a 360), but it could of really justified multiple plays when completing the single player. It's just my .02 cents and I am sure I am beating a dead horse, but I just really want the Wii to succeed in online play.

ChristmasWii said:
Most people will agree that online play is not neccessary, but it's a very good luxury. When you think of the other two systems in Playstation 3 and XBOX 360, both have well established online. Well, where's the Wii's? Yes, we have received games that have mediocre at best Wifi in PBR, Strikers, Medal of Honor, and others. The games can get a good "quick fix," but leaving us empty after a few weeks.

The other systems main online games in Halo 3, Gears of War, Call of Duty 4, and Warhawk are STILL played at a constant rate. I personally own an XBOX 360, and there's still at least 5 people on my friends list playing Gears, and that is a year + game. The Wii is triumphant. However, triumphant in dishing out single player games. If you think about it, Metroid Prime 3 Corruption could of been AMAZING with online play. Different colors/ranked Samuses and the new suit upgrades come after leveling up. I agree, games like Super Mario Galaxy, Zack and Wiki, and Zelda don't need online, but Mario Party, Metroid, and WarioWare could of deserved it.

The Wii has too many games where you play and it's done. I think the only exceptions are Galaxy and Guitar Hero. I honestly, do not want to replay Zelda, Metroid, or even Resident Evil any time soon. Oh yeah, Brawl may change, but if we're spending $50.00 a game, we should be able to get the full value of it with very good online play. Now, I don't rely on my Wii for online play (hence owning a 360), but it could of really justified multiple plays when completing the single player. It's just my .02 cents and I am sure I am beating a dead horse, but I just really want the Wii to succeed in online play.

If online play is a top gaming priority for you, then buy a 360 or PS3- like you already have. Why does the Wii have to have online gaming if you fufill that online need with your 360? The wii was never marketed as an online machine, and games have been $50 a piece since well before online play was a standard on some systems.

I agree with you that it would be nice to play games like metroid like you have stated, but I already own Halo 3 to get my space shooter action on. Online play on wii is not a necessity.

Last edited:
I think everyone agrees Wii needs much better online, but I take exception at:
Yes, we have received games that have mediocre at best Wifi in PBR, Strikers, Medal of Honor, and others. The games can get a good "quick fix," but leaving us empty after a few weeks.

I got MoH a few weeks ago, and I still play it. Granted, its blown away by everything on the 360, but I still play it. Its plenty of fun, and since I have never seen an empty server, its definitely not just a quick fix.

And remember: The Wii JUST hit the 1 year mark. Online will improve imho, just a little longer and I think it will be better. But I have always enjoyed single player/offline multiplayer better anyways, so I can wait. The single player games was the reason I bought this thing anyways...

Last edited:
I wonder how long people are going to use the "Wii just hit its 1 year mark" excuse :p Ive been hearing it as an answer to everything :p

Anyway, more online for Wii would be nice. But since I got the 360/PS3 I dont personally care for it. Even if all their games had online, I would still play on my 360 cuz it has better overall games. Especially when it comes to multiplayer. But for the Wii only owners, it would be something they should really want.

Also, people need to stop using the "why dont you go buy a 360" as an answer also. What if people dont want to play 360 games online? What if I want to play Wii games online? I would have loved to play Metroid Prime 3 in a deathmatch arena. Which obviously you cannot do on a 360.

Yes the Wii does need better online..no wait let me rephrase that..The Wii needs MORE online games.

MOH: H2 is a great game to me, i play almost everyday and i dont feel myself gettin bored at all. Strikers on the other hand was about a month of playin then it hit the shelf.

As for Metroid bein online..NO..you cant do that, as much as everyone rants and rave that it should have been. IT CANT. First off its NOT a multiplayer game so that rules it out right there, yes u could have chosen from different hunters but Metroid itself since day one was a single player, why ruin something that has been great for yrs. Just my opion i know others will disagree.

ChristmasWii said:

Looks over the replies: Denied!

Seriously, why even bother anymore?

Animal Crossing Wii is supposedly on the path of being a MMO game.
It may not be a FPS, but I feel like it's definitely going to revolve around online-play.
It's not like Wii's online capabilities aren't being used at all; slowly, but surely, there will be more and more games released that emphasize them.
As somebody above me said, Wii was never marketed as an online machine. Yes, there are many possibilities, but I really don't think anybody who purchased a Wii bought it specifically for online gameplay.

I'm a Wii only owner and honestly I want to have more online multiplayer games, but I could wait. I mean what people say about the "1 year mark," it's the truth and that's why people say it. I mean games like SSBB and Mario Kart is coming out with online and hopefully other games that we just haven't heard about yet.

I mean the most things you want in life require patience.

manred said:
I mean the most things you want in life require patience.

exactly..

in all honesty the only people who know wat the wii and its online capabilities can do is nintendo themselves. third party developers are now just seein that the wii is the way to go to develop games and its gonna take some time for them to start it up. There have been numerous thread like this already since day 1. just be patient and relax there are other things to worry about in life besides video games.

Nintendo is still getting familiar at online, they have only dabbled with it in the past... Dont forget they are also offering these online games free of cost, so they have to front money for the servers....

Most Great online Games from the other consoles are games that are also great as a multiplayer in the home...

these types of multi player games nintendo has by the truckload.. they have more 2+ player games than any other console hands down... It does make you wounder why they havent tossed out more Online Games, because honestly the only differance between a multi player game and Online is the fact you play in your own home agenst others in there own home instead of sharring one screen...

Although i doubt nintendo will take the online crown anytime soon i bet as they get use to making online games you will see some awsome titles...
like MK and SSBB, All of the Mario Sports Games, Mario Party Games... these games are all fun to play, but they need some new life into these. online is that new life...
These games were fun on GC and on Wii but without a friend to play agesnt you get bored fast once you unlock the levels and beat the computer over and over again...

But they Are putting these type of titles online, besides mario party 8. they just have yet to really start releasing these games as they come out they are online... Just give it time, they will have some great new online games in the form of our old favorites, and im sure some new ones...

its only a year in so far we are just now starting to get good titles, most of them are comming with online if it applies to the game. There is no reason to make everygame online, Its not online that makes a game good, its the game itself... online just can make it more fun giving you someone to play agenst when you dont have anyone..

Is it me or are there more and more of these "i want my wii to be more like my xbox 360" threads.

If online gaming is your focus play on your 360.

Wii has a novel controller interface, its game catalogue is growing rapidly, not to mention further innovation with the motion sensor contollers.

how much energy must be wasted on this topic?

Es

T3kNi9e said:
I wonder how long people are going to use the "Wii just hit its 1 year mark" excuse :p Ive been hearing it as an answer to everything :p

Anyway, more online for Wii would be nice. But since I got the 360/PS3 I dont personally care for it. Even if all their games had online, I would still play on my 360 cuz it has better overall games. Especially when it comes to multiplayer. But for the Wii only owners, it would be something they should really want.

Also, people need to stop using the "why dont you go buy a 360" as an answer also. What if people dont want to play 360 games online? What if I want to play Wii games online? I would have loved to play Metroid Prime 3 in a deathmatch arena. Which obviously you cannot do on a 360.

Honestly can you say that you would rather play wii games online over the plethora of great online 360 titles out there? Yeah, Metroid would be fun, but does the fact that I can not play Metroid online make me angry? No..In fact, I could care less..because I have Halo3, and COD4, and Rainbow Six Vegas, etc...What wii games that are out would you place ahead of those 360 games online?

If online gaming is a huge priority to you, the wii is not your first choice, pure and simple as that.

Esirnus said:
Is it me or are there more and more of these "i want my wii to be more like my xbox 360" threads.

If online gaming is your focus play on your 360.

Wii has a novel controller interface, its game catalogue is growing rapidly, not to mention further innovation with the motion sensor contollers.

how much energy must be wasted on this topic?

Es

**standing ovation*** THANK YOU!!!!

T3kNi9e said:

I would imagine that people would stop saying the '1 year thing' by the end of 2008, as by then the Wii and developers would have had long enough to produce the kind of games that everyone wants.

I think all 3 consoles had a reasonable first year (although PS3 had a slow start it is catching up now and this year should be a good one for PS3 owners) but there is no denying that the 360/PS3 have had much better offerings in the online department. I dont worry about the quality of Wii online too much at the moment though because its free and i dont expect it to ever be able to match the 360s. In fact i doubt any console will ever outdo Xbox Live because you get what you pay for.

Metroid Prime 3 shouldnt have had online as the series works better as single player games. A new Metroid game specifically designed for online would be great though, something like Hunters but better.

Bumble14 said:
Honestly can you say that you would rather play wii games online over the plethora of great online 360 titles out there? Yeah, Metroid would be fun, but does the fact that I can not play Metroid online make me angry? No..In fact, I could care less..because I have Halo3, and COD4, and Rainbow Six Vegas, etc...What wii games that are out would you place ahead of those 360 games online?

If online gaming is a huge priority to you, the wii is not your first choice, pure and simple as that.

Just because your favorite online games are FPS doesnt mean everyones will be... Nintendo will offer a breath of fresh air to online.. not the Same old FPS games over and over again with a different story line... FPS have dominated the online world and i dont think Nintendo should really even bother with it.. they arnt going to lead in that area although the gameplay is better for a FPS the big titles and fans are still on the other consoles, nintendo can do them as well but they wont lead FPS this gen thats for sure...

but sports games,racing games,fighting games, these are the games nintendo will get in large numbers, and will do great online... not to mention there own exclusive 1st party multi players that will do very well online.. Wii isnt going to be the Leader of online, but atleast they will open up the genre more to include more games online, than the "hardcore" FPS again and again... i got bored with that with xbox...

Back