This is why online gaming is a must..

Atomheart said:
It's still the exact same core game with some new extras. It's more of an expansion to Melee than a totally new game. It'll no doubt be great, but not GOTY worthy.

GTA IV is an entirely different game based on the concept.

whats different dont tehy just go around selling drugs, joining gangs, nd kicking people out of their cars, buying guns, and walking around or was that only the last 10 games (no flaming plz thats just my outtake on GTA)
whereas SSBB has 10+ hr story mode which wasnt in melee, new chars, final flash, new stages, new controls lets not ferget, and create mode

Atomheart said:
It's still the exact same core game with some new extras. It's more of an expansion to Melee than a totally new game. It'll no doubt be great, but not GOTY worthy.

What does GTA IV have that is different from the previous versions, honestly what makes it new and different?

Atomheart said:

So an entirely new concept is the only way a game should get GOTY? If a game has a system that's already working, they should change it so they can get GOTY? No, Sakurai shouldn't have to change the all-star winning formula that Smash Bros. has working for it, it's already amazing. It's getting an all new story-line (by that, I mean actually getting one), adding/taking away new/old characters respectively, new modes, new options, practically changing the mechanics of the game by slowing everything down. I call that a "new concept", personally. I suppose we all have our opinions.

If we were going to go along with your idea of "Brawl is just like Melee, you fight and get trophies and stuff" (or however you want to say how it's similar to SSB and SSBM, which I admit, it is), I could say the same thing about GTA. No matter how they twist it or turn it, it's always the same thing. You hi-jack machines, kill people with various guns, and become a renowned thug. That's what they're all based off of no? (mind you I've played one GTA, but from what I've heard, they all have the same concept)

Calling Brawl an expansion on Melee...

You, my friend need to do research...(ssbb_lover beat me to it)

But in all honesty, I think we know far too little about GTA 4 at this point to even be talking about its chances at GOTY. I mean, there's been no gameplay footage, no in games screens, and really just a couple trailers. I say we wait on that one. But, right now, from what I know about Brawl and from what I know about every other game slated for release in 08.. I would definitely have to put Brawl at the top of the list.

I also think the GTA thing is kind of getting worn out. I mean, I know I'll play GTA 4 quite a bit, but I just don't know what we'll see...

Hmm, now its turned into a GTA bash fest. Guys, bashing GTA is like people bashing Super Mario Bros. Its just not a viable thing to do. All of the GTA's had an average of 9/10+. All 3 games are listed in the top 20 most sold games of ALL time. Vice City (My personal favorite) being #4 after Pokemon Red/Blue, Super Mario Bros. 3, and Nintendogs. Besides, I was speaking in general. GTA4 is actually very different compared to the others. Its going to have Multiplayer for one, multiple floors in the buildings, etc. I was just making a point.

Back to the Online topic!

I don't know if anyone has said this yet on here and didn't want to look since its like 3 pages and I'm lazy, but to the people who say to buy a 360 to get you're online fix, maybe the reason people want online on the Wii is so that they can play online with the Wii controls. Some guy on the first page said to get a 360 for online play and that the Wii offers different controls. So why not online with these different controls instead of the same controls?

Bumble14 said:
The wii was never marketed as an online machine

Ah yes, revisionist history. I was wondering where you were.

Seriously MS basicly help make the internet with back end servers and operating systems. It is not an easy thing to do and most PC games use these back ends to offer better online than even the xbox yet MS is the online king and will continue to be. As you can see PSN and nintendos stuff still has it's quirks. How many web browsers has nintendo made? Oyeah opera made their web browser. They didn't even make that. As you see SONY and nintendo are not exactly good at online and the home thing may be too much for the PSN to handle with out charging money. MS's software is every where and in a way nintendo and SONY all have to go thur some version of it to connect. Yes I know most server use linux and unix yet networks are very complicated things. So really stop acting like these guys can just pull this stuff out of their butt. Online wise japan is a little behind software wise. We have always had ID and epic developers that make fast paced games that must and have performed on almost every network just fine.

Also too online is not always needed. It is needed if your game selection sucks. I have BWii online, a few sports games and really I play all my FPS on the PC. Quake 3 still has packed servers and it's lots of fun if you are good. If you are then really why are you going online any way? If you are going because you are bored then maybe you should try some VC games. They cost as much as a rental and half of them are very very challenging.

Yet from my experience you don't really want the Wii online. The sports games will see you getting crushed from mario strikers to madden...LOL BWii is very interesting some times and the dragon balls game can be fun if you don't get hit with lag. I don't know the crying about online is mostly coming from xbox 360 owners that don't play PC games. Seriously most people I played in golden eye could wipe the floor with a halo player. Very sneaky and deadly players and for a while it even winged me off quake 3!

Hey Wii ware may open things up and the demo channel will get things moving along with more companies makes moves on the system. I want REAl games though. I don't want to pay a fee for my online gaming unless it really is better than PC gaming and that has yet to happen. Also too online is free on the Wii and on the xbox 360 you are forced to use it if you are paying for it...LOL.

Really Online is also going to be fine. Nintendo will do it their way as always and you know what they will figure out away to make it bigger once the casual thing is solid since that is the next step into making casuals hardcore... which is getting them addicted to a community. A Wii party system online would crush live simply because the Wii is played at real bars all the way to retirement homes...LOL In away the Wii is like lan gaming for other people. Once you lan you don't go back. Yet nintendo is going to find away to content this little parties into one big party online. They are working on the online thing but once you see an online Wii sports then you know they are really serious because casual gamers will give up on complicated things quickly... like most hardcore gamers really....

...How the hell am I meant to top that!?

Anyway, the main issue is they haven't got the money to improve their online system because they are offering it for free of course. I probably wouldn't even play online if I had to pay for it, especially monthly, I'm glad they're taking everyone into consideration to play and not just the fanboys who have a bucket load of money to toss around.

This is Nintendo's first system online, there was the DS, but that's much different, the games don't have much game data and lag is a lot easier to control. I don't expect their first real online jab at Brawl to have tremendous lag when I am playing internationally, which is why some of the games have been region locked, such as Strikers, I think. It's a smart move region locking, I don't blame them.

Of course the 360 has better online, they've dabbled in online play many times before, and have experienced region locking, I think that Nintendo need to work out the basics to reduce lag and create smooth play before they manage to keep up with them, and I really doubt this is happening for the Wii. The XBox had a dreadful online by my concerns, but they at least had something to develop, Nintendo are coming here with scratch and offering it for free.

Online is going to be fun, but it's not going to be as in depth as you all expect. Personally, if you have good people to play then I don't see what is the problem, my whole thing with online is actually getting someone with a different skill level and not just computer players, not to have a chat and then blow everyone's brains out.

Really though, I love the idea of online, the whole concept of it is brilliant. But I'm European so I don't expect much, in the near future it'll be improved, and I'm prepared to wait for that; although a headset would be just fantastic in Brawl. ;)

Ok I'm a late jumper

If people said this already i'm sorrie i don't really wanna read 2 more pages

But from wat i've read n really kinda making me sad, is that "1 year mark"

... really yes it has been a 1 year mark but a year is LONNGGG alot of thing could have been n should have been done. Since the wii's a 3rd gen console, online play should have been focused on more. People that say "wii not for online" Personally have you ever seen an advertisment with only 1 person in the room(Mario Galaxy had a Movie theater Room full of people). So they really should have been focused on online more then they have been. With such games mentioned before Mario party, Warioware, the new rabbits game, or even wii sports i would have loved to box online players with my mii.

But thats my opinion :p love or hate it Peace

Last edited:
Irvin`` said:
Ok I'm a late jumper

If people said this already i'm sorrie i don't really wanna read 2 more pages

But from wat i've read n really kinda making me sad, is that "1 year mark"

... really yes it has been a 1 year mark but a year is LONNGGG alot of thing could have been n should have been done. Since the wii's a 3rd gen console, online play should have been focused on more. People that say "wii not for online" Personally have you ever seen an advertisment with only 1 person in the room(Mario Galaxy had a Movie theater Room full of people). So they really should have been focused on online more then they have been. With such games mentioned before Mario party, Warioware, the new rabbits game, or even wii sports i would have loved to box online players with my mii.

But thats my opinion :p love or hate it Peace

Thats cool yet most online games are using some form of UT or some other online engine to make them online. Seriously nintendo did not even make their own browser. For us to get brawl is a big step and to have online at all is great and as it becomes more reliable and a tool for nintendo rather than some thing they must learn to do better, then and only then will it get a big push.

Hey opinions are opinions yet I'm fine with where they are as I really will play most of my online games on the PC. I've been impressed yet some games have too much lag. Some one needs to write code to kick those players since you can't beat them if they are warping.

You know what let retro do a halo killer... hell use the pirates from metroid and leave samus out of it.
Let retro or either factor 5 chug away on this one since they are back. Nintendo deos not understand how much Wii ware could help them if the kids over here get a hold of it. First game I can see being made is a solid test of online by way of a Wii home like game where you can upload your own meshes. As I've said before quake 3 would be great! The code is free now also!

Most "great" online games "highest sales" are FPS and Sports for consoles... granted these are fun games but without online honestly they arnt that impressive... i know with most my FPS once i beat it in story im done with it... only going back for multi player mode... same with sports games.. once you unlock and beat everything its nothing great... the only reason these games are considered great in the first place is because you can play multi player mode online... without online they are just another decent game...

True nintendo 1st party games arnt going to be a huge leap from this "console online setup" with games like MK and SSBB, but the main point of these games is multiplayer... just like most popular online games, so with majority of the multi player nintendo games, they are going to do great online...

how many people play smash brothers when no one is with them? same with mario kart?or any mario sports game? its not going to make the games any better its just going to make it so they are played more because multi player is always available in online form...

Back