Upgradable, Region-free Wii Modchip, oh yes!

I've always been iffy with the mod-chipping stuff.

1st, it usually ends up voiding warranty.
2nd, not sure if it'll mess up online games - you may be able to play import games alone, but if Nintendo's service checks things like IP addy's then you might not be able to connect properly.
3rd, How do you actually back-up copies if the PC cannot read the disk?
4th, Won't you need dual layer disks and a burning program that can do dual layered?
5th, Anyone that actually values their games wouldn't need a backup copy in the first place (unless you've got some problems with kids).
6th, I understand doing this for import reasons, but there is a freeloader for the Wii coming out - which doesn't void warranty, and failing that, importing the console (since you're going to import games anyway) would also be a viable option.

Not that I'm against the homebrew stuff. I just think it should be reserved for people who know more about it. Obviously, if you're decided on it, buy it. If you don't have the confidence to open up your Wii, then I suggest not risking it.

Squall7 said:
I've always been iffy with the mod-chipping stuff.

1st, it usually ends up voiding warranty.
2nd, not sure if it'll mess up online games - you may be able to play import games alone, but if Nintendo's service checks things like IP addy's then you might not be able to connect properly.
3rd, How do you actually back-up copies if the PC cannot read the disk?
4th, Won't you need dual layer disks and a burning program that can do dual layered?
5th, Anyone that actually values their games wouldn't need a backup copy in the first place (unless you've got some problems with kids).
6th, I understand doing this for import reasons, but there is a freeloader for the Wii coming out - which doesn't void warranty, and failing that, importing the console (since you're going to import games anyway) would also be a viable option.

Not that I'm against the homebrew stuff. I just think it should be reserved for people who know more about it. Obviously, if you're decided on it, buy it. If you don't have the confidence to open up your Wii, then I suggest not risking it.

1. Indeed it would.
2. It shouldn't mess up online games unless Nintendo somehow detects it (even though it's in stealth mode) and then disallows your Wii from playing online even if you remove it or install an upgrade
3. I think PCs can read the data on Wii disks; accessing files is another matter, since it's pretty much guaranteed Wii uses a filesystem not supported by your PCC
4. Probably, I don't know. I just want it for importing :p
5. Indeed.
6. Freeloader has certain advantages. For me it's which one comes out first (I've opened up consoles and screwed with them in the past, though not done any soldering). Also, with a freeloader you have to put one disc in, take it out, put in the next disc...Annoying.

But yes, agreed. Don't be taking risks with your $250 toy unless you've thought hard on it first.

Back