What do you think of my Melee skills?

The CPU is so predictable, even at LV.9, it's nothing unless theres a human oponent, BUT in this case I think he's just showing off what he knows.

Your at a very good level, and this is a great start because from here you can really perfect you game.
The only suggestions I have would be helpful against a human, not a computer.
One would be dashdancing. Something you should really put into your game. Mainly for mindgames. Dashdancing into a dash attack. Or dd into a wd and smash.
Another thing, would be tilts. You must implement this into your game. Make more use of forward tilts, to some extent. And of course the up tilt, and down tilt are both crucial, with many uses.
You have wavedashing down, but you must learn to use it properly. Quite frankly, your using it when you don't need it. Use it when your attacking, edge-hogging, etc.. But not just randomly to travel around the stage. Would be better at those times to dashdance or maybe SHFFL.
Other than that just make sure to L-cancel everything, and face more human players. I found that once you get to a certain point, the only way to improve is to go to tournaments.

Oh also, take a video of yourself playing another human, and post it on smashboards, in the Marth section. You'll get WAY more help than anywhere else.

Last edited:
Bigred said:
your fighting a level 1 computer. thats pathetic. If you want to win you should be able to do that to like a level 7.

Darn I've had to reply to this a lot. When training for a tournament you want to play against human characters. They behave differently than CPUs. Level 9 CPUs behave completely differently than humans. They aren't difficult to defeat, but they take different moves. You can't shffl against a level 9 since it can do a perfect guard and ruin your shffling. It will counter you no matter what and practicing against it will eventually make you worse. I use a level 1 to showcase what I know without everything I do being countered so that I can get the most out of my criticism.

Prez said:
Your at a very good level, and this is a great start because from here you can really perfect you game.
The only suggestions I have would be helpful against a human, not a computer.
One would be dashdancing. Something you should really put into your game. Mainly for mindgames. Dashdancing into a dash attack. Or dd into a wd and smash.
Another thing, would be tilts. You must implement this into your game. Make more use of forward tilts, to some extent. And of course the up tilt, and down tilt are both crucial, with many uses.
You have wavedashing down, but you must learn to use it properly. Quite frankly, your using it when you don't need it. Use it when your attacking, edge-hogging, etc.. But not just randomly to travel around the stage. Would be better at those times to dashdance or maybe SHFFL.
Other than that just make sure to L-cancel everything, and face more human players. I found that once you get to a certain point, the only way to improve is to go to tournaments.

Oh also, take a video of yourself playing another human, and post it on smashboards, in the Marth section. You'll get WAY more help than anywhere else.

Thanks for posting (again) lol. I figured I would get a lot more comments here than on the tourney forums. I'll try to get a video up on youtube, but honestly it probably won't happen :p I would post in the smashboards sections if I wasn't afraid of all the "NOOB" comments. hehe

Last edited:
In any case, you'll do fine IMO. You're not an old button masher like me. =X

Zori said:
Thanks for the compliment. There are many reasons why I play against a level 1. Level 9 CPUs don't play anything like humans. They know every move your character does as you press it, which is why their guards are so freakin precise and throw you off. I don't recommend training with CPUs at all, but to showcase how I play I figured a level 1 would be best.

Makes sense. My advice to you would be to practice against some friends of yours who plays as Fox/Falco, to get your timing down properly. I noticed you sometimes missed combos (or maybe you weren't planning to do them, I don't know). But yes, anyways, practice against fast opponents and you should be fine. What is the skill level at this tourney?

FWELR said:
Makes sense. My advice to you would be to practice against some friends of yours who plays as Fox/Falco, to get your timing down properly. I noticed you sometimes missed combos (or maybe you weren't planning to do them, I don't know). But yes, anyways, practice against fast opponents and you should be fine. What is the skill level at this tourney?

Honestly I have no idea its just an open tourney. My friend saw a poster, told me about it, and we went and checked it out. Guy said last time there were 130 competitors and it cost 10$ to join so i was like eh what the hell I don't think anyone around here can beat me.

LiquidD said:
i've never seen idjut play but i think she might stomp you. i think your "skills" were way too predictable. but thats just me.
Thanks for the criticism lol. When I put "skills" I didn't mean it in a cocky way. If it hurts you that much my next post wont have that word in it.

It's a clever way of getting a ko.

no it's not. there's nothing clever about it. it's just cheap. if you look at other people who play in tournaments on youtube, you'll see that most of the times when their opponents go out of the stage, they back up some to let them back up because they know that hogging the edge is a cheap kill.

DO NOT be afraid of noob comments from smashboards. One thing you'll hopefully get to notice is that real smashers are ALWAYS super modest about their own skills, and really very nice, and welcoming to newcomers. My first tourney, I got to know so many people. Basically the whole Toronto (my city) smash community. I'm not even a very social person, and I made so many new friends. I got to chill with the best smasher in our city, and he was the nicest guy. Sat down, played a little, gave me tons of helpful tips (the most helpful advice I actually ever got), and was not boastful in any way. Honestly, these guys were some of the coolest people ever.

My point in case I rambled: Don't be afraid to introduce yourself to the community. Post some vids of yourself, get some help, introduce yourself to your smash community (there will be threads for your city, regardless of where you live), and just have fun. It's a great experience.

LiquidD said:
no it's not. there's nothing clever about it. it's just cheap. if you look at other people who play in tournaments on youtube, you'll see that most of the times when their opponents go out of the stage, they back up some to let them back up because they know that hogging the edge is a cheap kill.
No one backs up and lets their opponents on in a tournament match. Not any good players, anyway. If you've seen someone back up, they are most likely spacing, to have a better way to attack the opponent when they get back.

Last edited:
Edgehogging is more of a mental slap-in-the-face then a free KO IMO.
Letting you're oponent come back without wory is courteous, but hardened smashers do anything for a KO.

Was this tournament more for fun/casual play, with no competitive players?
Because ledgehogging is basically required, if your playing on a serious level.

Back