What's the definition of 'hardcore' game?

eskiemong said:
Well, I'm one of the people started to play game through Wii which means that I know almost nothing of game.
After reading a thread about E3 conference on the first page of Wiichat.com, I just became really curious: what does hardcore game mean?
Because I thought hardcore game meant hella serious and hard games like Resident Evil or Trauma Center...(Oh btw what's difference between Resident Evil and Biohazard? Cuz I'm more familiar with Biohazard..)
So I never thought Mario series will be included in hardcore games. They're not serious enough for me..lol
So...
What's the definition of 'hardcore game'?
well...unless this has been said.......

biohazard and resident evil are the same.

and i believe a hardcore game is a more realistic one, more lifelike characters.
i wouldnt say mario was as hardcore as metroid.

but then again, i dont really like to use the word "hardcore" at all, it's very poser-ish.

A hardcore game is one that sucks players in where they play the game for many hours on end. Examples are Zelda games, main Super Mario series, Halo, Metroid games, main RE series, GTA games, etc. Those games are challenging and require tons of gameplay, and are good enough to keep gamers busy for a while.

anything barbie related......god thats so hardcore!!!!! i hate it when she doesnt accessorize! pisses me off to the point where i throw my controller across the room and shatter it into a million pieces!!

i just gave up on the game all together!!! :mad5:

This post is ridiculous, well the original intent isn't ridiculous, the guy just wanted to know what a word meant.

But imo hardcore is just a word that people use to make the games they enjoy sound better than the games that other people enjoy.

An rts gamer isn't going to see an fps as hardcore and vice versa. It's a really dumb word to use when categorizing games and I agree with the poster a few posts above who thinks that it is a stupid word to use.
-Dave

PS I agree that using the word hardcore is 'poserish'

Last edited by a moderator:
braschlosa said:
So the person asking "Why are there no hardcore games on the Wii" is dumb because they used the word properly but it has more than one definition? I guess we are both dumb them because many of the words we've written in this thread have more than one definition.

Enlighten me. How should the question be asked if the word "hardcore" is off limits to you?
I give up on you. You fail to see my point altogether and what i'm trying to (painfully) make you see. This is my last attempt.

braschlosa said:
So the person asking "Why are there no hardcore games on the Wii" is dumb because they used the word properly but it has more than one definition?
It is a dumb question IF they are only abiding by one definition. If that person, however, still says that same question ("Why are there no hardcore games on the Wii?"), but this guy explains by all definitions how no games are actually hardcore, that would be extremely appropriate and an interesting debate as well.
braschlosa said:
I guess we are both dumb them because many of the words we've written in this thread have more than one definition.
How is that even relevant and/or logical? I believe you're just rambling.
braschlosa said:
Enlighten me. How should the question be asked if the word "hardcore" is off limits to you?
It's not off-limits! The person asking the question just needs to take into account all the meanings of the word. If he means "gore/blood/guts", he can say "hardcore", I honestly don't mind, but I want him to state what he means by hardcore, I don't want him being an imbecile and a typical n00b who thinks "hardcore" ONLY means shoot em' up, rip their heart out styled games.

[/RANT]

IcedEarth81 said:
A hardcore game is one that sucks players in where they play the game for many hours on end. Examples are Zelda games, main Super Mario series, Halo, Metroid games, main RE series, GTA games, etc. Those games are challenging and require tons of gameplay, and are good enough to keep gamers busy for a while.

IcedEarth - will you stop making sense :lol: I think exactly the same as you! "Hardcore" :scared: is a game which takes more to play than normal - more depth but limited appeal to the masses andor all who game. Although if you include GTA - I would have Godfather in as well - purely based on the limited appeal and storyline!

Christ, if you think a 30 hour game is a bit too short you are definately:

A) Without a social life
B) Without a girlfriend / boyfriend / offline friends
C) Both of the above
D) Hardcore gamer [god even the word sounds w*nky]

By the way Braschlosa - if you are just going to re-post the same opinion over and over then it aint an argument, try a different point of view to convert ssbb_lover! ;)

Just for the record "Redsteel" & "COD3" are purely arcade games and not anything else - point, shoot, kill!!

"RE:4" is a less linear game but arcade based - point, shoot, roam, backtrack, unlock a door, kill!! Hardcore only by it's length surely!!! Whereas MP(series) is more hardcore due to the space theme - sci-fi RPG is never anything but!!!

For me a hardcore game is one that the user really gets in to and a prime example was Doom on the Playstation. For me that was a hardcore game, I don't consider any current games on the Wii hardcore, RE4 may be, I'm not too sure yet! Man Hunt 2 is definatley hardcore!

In my opinion obviously.

Doom 3...Man if you've ever played that game at night in a dark room while its thundering outside, don't make fun of me but I actually screamed cause the power went out and it freaked me out to death...haha:lol:

i seriously hate that word, it makes everyone who plays video games sound like total geeks, you wouldnt be talking around your school saying "im a hardcore basketball player" would you

Marioman said:
Doom 3...Man if you've ever played that game at night in a dark room while its thundering outside, don't make fun of me but I actually screamed cause the power went out and it freaked me out to death...haha:lol:
lmao nice... yeah, i'm definetly not playing res evil now that there's thunder, i might cry lol

Marioman: So true. Good use of the word Hardcore. You better delete your post before SSSB_Lover reads it!

Back