Why did they include the Gamecube?

CantGetAWii

WiiChat Member
Dec 22, 2006
WiiChat
Wii Online Code
3099-0319-5478-2979
That's what I would like to know, why did Nintendo choose include the gamecube set-up with their Wii console? Was it to make it fully compatible with the older games (like Nes, Snes etc.) or simply a good strategy to get people buying more gamecube stuff? We all know how the gamecube went over in the last gen race, it was considered a flop by many. Personally I think they did it to be fully compatible, but what do you think, you can use my thoughts or include your own (which would be very cool).

Yea, it's kind of expected. I don't blame them if they do want more GC stuff sold, but I think they mainly thought it was a cheap and very functional addition to the Wii.

I personally think that a lot of people would have been disappointed with the Wii if it was not fully backwards compatible. Also, more GC games will sell, like the original poster mentioned, as well as VC games, which are being downloaded like "hotcakes". :lol:

i think its mainly just for convience, now i dont have to get my gamecube out when i wanna play some windwaker or mario kart, also its good coz we can play brawl with gc contollers too :)

Yeah, the backwards compatibility thing seems to be pretty much expected now...it's the thing to do and Nintendo did it flawlessly. It has often crossed my mind that we are actually playing next to the same hardware as the Gamecube had, just with a bit of a different interface (and supped up a bit of course). Just think of all the extra hardware they probably had lying around after last gen. Anyway, just a thought. The complete backwards compatibility is the best thing Nintendo could have done for us in my opinion, and the VC just beats all!

Money, thats the main reason I think. The fact that you can play your GC games comes second I think.

Nintendo probably thought: "Hmmm...we're moving into the 7th generation of gaming so let's add some new great features to increase our consoles sales." We all know that the other 7th generation consoles have backwards compatibility (PS3<--->PS2, 360<--->XBox), so Nintendo probably wanted to keep up with the other consoles in any way they could, hence the Wii's backwards compatibility.

Marc said:
Money, thats the main reason I think. The fact that you can play your GC games comes second I think.

Bingo!

The gamecube didn't sell too much.
So.

They make the wii use it.

People buy memory cards.
People buy controllers.
People buy games.

IT PRINTS MONEY.

okay then. why did nintendo ds include gameboy advance games? because its better and the wii doesnt have that many great games out right now. so why not be able to play gamecube greatest hits too?

I don't think they made them backwards compatibile because theres a lack of titles.

All of the next gen consoles allow for backwards compatability so I'm not suprised the Wii took the same route.

FR. said:
Nintendo probably thought: "Hmmm...we're moving into the 7th generation of gaming so let's add some new great features to increase our consoles sales." We all know that the other 7th generation consoles have backwards compatibility (PS3<--->PS2, 360<--->XBox), so Nintendo probably wanted to keep up with the other consoles in any way they could, hence the Wii's backwards compatibility.

actually nintendo did it first with gameboy; the game boy color had backwards compatability with the original gameboy; the gba had backwards compatability with game boy color games; ect

and yeah, nintendo just basically wanted to keep the trend going cause it sells more older generation games and cause finally this generation they can do it cause they have 2 generations of cds now

Marc said:
I don't think they made them backwards compatibile because theres a lack of titles.
Ditto.
I'd be bored out of my mind right now with the Wii if it didn't have backwards compatibility.

i think its kind of a good thing because some games come out for the gamecube and the wii then you can get the gamecube version which is like 20
and wii games are like 50 and its better because then peaple do not have to pay for the gamecube :thumbsup:

Back