Why does everyone hate on Red Steel?

manufan15 said:
I actually think the game is pretty cool from what I've seen.
have u not played it? because to be fair it does look quite good but it can be very annoying to play at times, yet at other times it can be quite fun!

Lewi T said:
have u not played it? because to be fair it does look quite good but it can be very annoying to play at times, yet at other times it can be quite fun!

No I haven't, but I've seen people play multiplayer and it looked fun.

fair enough, the multiplayer is quite fun, but u definitely need 4 players...2 is pointless and 3 is average, this is why bots would be useful...also there's no swordplay in multiplayer, which is good because its sh*t, but if it was good then it'd be great fighting your mate!

Lewi T said:
fair enough, the multiplayer is quite fun, but u definitely need 4 players...2 is pointless and 3 is average, this is why bots would be useful...also there's no swordplay in multiplayer, which is good because its sh*t, but if it was good then it'd be great fighting your mate!

Yeah, in most games you have to have 3 or 4 to make it woth anything. That's why wifi is good, and that's why I like Nightfire. The multiplayer is amazing with bots and so many different game modes.

I have red steel and finished it
I enjoy it
my only complain are the sword control, why they didnt make it 1:1
hoping for another sequel

ColdShiver - lets think here, maybe if there were 600 results of this topic there would be no need for this topic :shocked: i not spending my time looking through a list of 600 results!

Bigwilly - I think you should buy it, but one of the main annoyances is the cursor skip, if u can handle that, then this game will give u many days of pleasure.

it depends on what your looking for in a FPS if its serious multiplayer focus then unless you have 4 players all the time its a pass... if multiplayer isn't your sole purpose for an fps then the single player is decent ,and long enough to keep you sucked in if you surivive the first few minutes of learning how to work within the games touchy aiming.

The only glitch you guys got in this game was the cursor skip? I had two freezes and atleast five enemies stuck in the map that could shoot me while I couldn't shoot them. Including one who got stuck right before the sword fight with the chick on the disco stage.. he kept shooting me during the fight too and there was nothing I could do to shoot back. I felt really ripped off by Ubisoft on this one.

Even if it had been glitch free it's nothing special shooterwise, and the sword fighting was so pointless.. and what was with that ending?

What was the point of saying "You have to knock him out so you can save his life!" if they weren't going to follow through on it?!

The whole game felt rushed and incomplete.

i say the reason is...nintendo built red steel up as an excellent shooter but the only good part about it was the sword-play. im not saying that it was a good game all im saying is it could of been better in a few areas like multiplayer. i would have liked to fight CPUs instead of waiting 4 a frend to come over the play with them to me thats just a lil tedious. o yea online play might of made it a lot better.

foolsarmy said:
...the only good part about it was the sword-play...
u are jokin right? the swordplay was abismal, pathetic at best

Ok, I just got a Wii and Redsteel and though I know this has been beat to death, I thought I would chime in. The graphics leave a little to be desired at times and at other times they are quite pleasing. I actually love the control scheme! My only complaint is that it moves a little "slow" but otherwise, I think it is a perfect implementation of FPS controls on the Wii -- much better than RE4 IMHO. I like the ability to be pointing the gun at all times and strafe left and right. I said on another forum that I'd give the game a 7.75 but I think I'd give it an 8 or better at this point. I don't rush into battle at all. I take my time to figure out the layout, the room, the location of the enemies, and try to take out as many as possible from a strategic location behind cover. I think if you are the type of player that rushes into the room blasting away, spinning in all directions in a hail of gunfire, the controls probably aren't for you and you'll be hating it. If you play as I do, though, I think you'll find the controls top notch.

I'm now seriously looking forward to a Redsteel 2...

kenn said:
I think if you are the type of player that rushes into the room blasting away, spinning in all directions in a hail of gunfire, the controls probably aren't for you and you'll be hating it. If you play as I do, though, I think you'll find the controls top notch.

Played multiplayer yet? Sometimes you need responsive turning. And the addition of responsive turning doesn't prevent you from making cautious advances.

Have you played the level where you ride a crane down the center of a dozen stairways with enemies on all sides? What little outcropping of the crane gives you cover from one side doesn't cover you from the other, so you're getting hit from behind, but you can't flip around to face them promptly. Imagine this in real life. "Ah! I'm being shot repeatedly in the back!", now assuming you're not dead, haven't frozen in fear or taken to flight, are you going to A) whip around and return fire or B), aim your gun 30* from your center of view and then slowly allow it's tracking to turn you around so that by the time you're facing your enemy you're bleeding so badly you cannot see? On a system where the controls are the primary portal to immersion, forcing the players into such unreal responses makes an impact on the game.

I have fun playing too, but I don't think there's any fair way to say that the controls are 'top notch'. If you get used to them, you can adapt your play style--but that's not the way top notch controls work. Top notch controls let you play in whatever style you choose, and ideally, adapt to you rather than the other way around. In this case, the controls aren't even adapted to certain required portions of the game (like the crane)--if there were no levels that required fast turning, if you could always take your time to enter a room slowly and deliberately, it wouldn't be as much of an issue.

All that said, I don't think any wii shooter has really realized the full potential of the system. Hopefully RS2 will.

Yea i think red steel is amazing to..ppl just say they hate it either bc their jelous cuz they dnt have it r their following wut other ppl say!..

Back