Why is the game art so simple?

bsilver

WiiChat Member
Jun 25, 2007
I've always wondered why Nintendo has made more simple designs on their game dvds

For example, WarioWare
Wario_Ware_NTSC-%5Bcdcovers_cc%5D-cd1.jpg

http://static.cdcovers.cc/ab2b5027b...6827001/Wario_Ware_NTSC-[cdcovers_cc]-cd1.jpg
and here's HL 2 for the xbox
Half_Life_2_Dvd_ntsc-%5Bcdcovers_cc%5D-cd1.jpg

http://static.cdcovers.cc/0c7fcd3fe...b0/Half_Life_2_Dvd_ntsc-[cdcovers_cc]-cd1.jpg
Obviously, more colours have been used.

I'm just wondering why Nintendo does this? It doesnt bother me very much, because I play a game for the gameplay and not the game art, but I never understood why all of the games have that look with less colours.

The only reason I think they'd do it is to save a bit of money from designing and printing costs.

Last edited:
What an odd question and thing to be annoyed by, you should probably go on Maury. Anyway, that's just some of them, and simplicity is cool sometimes. I'm guessing the Metroid, Resident Evil, and Mario Galaxy covers will be fairly complex.

I don't care about the GFX on the cover.
Nintendo don't need fancy GFX on their boxes to be cool

6ix said:
What an odd question and thing to be annoyed by, you should probably go on Maury. Anyway, that's just some of them, and simplicity is cool sometimes. I'm guessing the Metroid, Resident Evil, and Mario Galaxy covers will be fairly complex.

I'm not annoyed.

i agree, It is a odd question, but i've been curious ever since i had a gamecube.

I LOVE the Zelda and Warioware art. I guess another possibility is that it's original art.

i like warioware art though i understand what ya mean

thats just how they want to market their games. They most likely have an inhouse marketing department that makes the art. If its the same department, most likely the same group is going to keep using the same style. Like any artists, they tend to stick to their style.

Shiftfallout said:
thats just how they want to market their games. They most likely have an inhouse marketing department that makes the art. If its the same department, most likely the same group is going to keep using the same style. Like any artists, they tend to stick to their style.

Now that's a real good answer. Thank you.

I actually like the simple art of Wario Ware, reminds me of old Sega covers. I also like the more detailed covers too.

nintendo purely focuses on gameplay. but if its a major title like Brawl, Metroid3, or mario galaxy, they make those look really good. zelda is another good example. nintendo really only cares about graphics and such wehn they asre working on a big title (the majority of the time)

Shoko said:
nintendo purely focuses on gameplay. but if its a major title like Brawl, Metroid3, or mario galaxy, they make those look really good. zelda is another good example. nintendo really only cares about graphics and such wehn they asre working on a big title (the majority of the time)

Wow. You're just spitting out the same crap that circulates around here every day. "nintendo purely focuses on gameplay." What an original opinion.

Shoko said:
well they certainly dont focus on graphics
Red Steel
Super Mario Galaxy
Resident Evil 4
Zelda : Twilight Princess

:wtf:

like i said, they make their major titles look good. (only read steel's environments look good really, the characters are OK)

`Hmm...
Red steel is3rd party
So is Resident evil 4

Nintendo have nothng to do with the 3rd party games except the contracts and documentation like that

Back