Wii 4.0 is OUT!

hencam[uk];1012062 said:
Whilst that's true, there is a large number of people who do use it for playing illegal copies of games and cheating.

When their activities ruin the online play of a game I've paid for, then I think it becomes unacceptable and for that reason I'm glad the latest update screws the HBC - I just wish it would brick the wii's of those who have it installed too.

Sorry but I've had too many races on Mario Kart ruined by dickheads out to spoil it for everyone, and for that reason I hate the HBC and all who use it.

so you want a large number of people, who do nothing wrong using the HBC to be completely screwed by people who use it to ruin a bit of fun for you? you must live in a nanny state where that attitude is acceptable. its not all about you.
besides, did you read the release comments? it removes the use of many hacks, as well a the ability to install the HBC.

hencam[uk];1012062 said:
Whilst that's true, there is a large number of people who do use it for playing illegal copies of games and cheating.

When their activities ruin the online play of a game I've paid for, then I think it becomes unacceptable and for that reason I'm glad the latest update screws the HBC - I just wish it would brick the wii's of those who have it installed too.

Sorry but I've had too many races on Mario Kart ruined by dickheads out to spoil it for everyone, and for that reason I hate the HBC and all who use it.
While I agree the people who use it to cheat in online games are dicks, why must all homebrewers suffer when most have no intention of cheating or pirating? Personally I just want to be able to play my import games. I bought the console fair and square, so I should be able to modify it and install programs as I please.

you must live in a nanny state where that attitude is acceptable.
Unfortunately, yes we are living in a nanny state. In a few years you won't be able to go to toilet in this country without the government poking its nose in.

so you want a large number of people, who do nothing wrong using the HBC to be completely screwed by people who use it to ruin a bit of fun for you? you must live in a nanny state where that attitude is acceptable. its not all about you.
besides, did you read the release comments? it removes the use of many hacks, as well a the ability to install the HBC.

Oh grow up for god's sake!

Yes, it is acceptable, when the software in question (the HBC) provides an easy means for unscrupulous users to play pirate software and cheat online with it, therefore spoiling the experience for those that actually went out and legitimately bought their software. THAT is unacceptable. And unfortunately the fact that the HBC makes it possible is it's downfall. I'm afraid the minority ruin it for the majority of HBC users...

Why are a few so supportive of HBC? Why would you want to run some crappy open source media players and 10+ year old games (Quake) on your Wii?!

I'm sorry I can't see the big deal - is it the thrill of getting something to run on it that normally wouldn't?! The HBC doesn't seem to do anything useful (of course I understand that this is my opinion, but I'd love to hear from those doing amazing things with it that can't be done on a 10 year old PC). As Napalm says, getting import games to run is one of the bigger advantages, but I suspect even that opens it up to Nintendo's wrath as they've region-locked it for a reason (money, probably).

I would have been perfectly happy with HBC to exist if it didn't provide an easy means for idiots to pirate and cheat online, the fact it does means that Nintendo have more than enough justification to target it, and rightly so.

Last edited:
hencam[uk];1012203 said:
Oh grow up for god's sake!

Yes, it is acceptable, when the software in question (the HBC) provides an easy means for unscrupulous users to play pirate software and cheat online with it, therefore spoiling the experience for those that actually went out and legitimately bought their software. THAT is unacceptable. And unfortunately the fact that the HBC makes it possible is it's downfall. I'm afraid the minority ruin it for the majority of HBC users...

Why are a few so supportive of HBC? Why would you want to run some crappy open source media players and 10+ year old games (Quake) on your Wii?!

I'm sorry I can't see the big deal - is it the thrill of getting something to run on it that normally wouldn't?! The HBC doesn't seem to do anything useful (of course I understand that this is my opinion, but I'd love to hear from those doing amazing things with it that can't be done on a 10 year old PC). As Napalm says, getting import games to run is one of the bigger advantages, but I suspect even that opens it up to Nintendo's wrath as they've region-locked it for a reason (money, probably).

I would have been perfectly happy with HBC to exist if it didn't provide an easy means for idiots to pirate and cheat online, the fact it does means that Nintendo have more than enough justification to target it, and rightly so.
I agree. I have the same problem with tools like R4.

I had the HBC and I didn't cheat online, It opens a world of homebrew video games it opens mahjong (wii compatable), make wii into a DVD player and stuff (But i never did like playing DVD's in my wii. plus play quake and doom on wii (but i wasn't a fan of quake anyhow some ppl like HBC and others don't, but i updated to 4.0 I for one liked HBC.

No, that would be RE4. R4 is a tool for the DS that is basically an SD card where you can download games and play them on your DS. The idea is that people who buy the games don't have to carry around all the games and cases, but most people use it to illegally download and play games.

Will doing the twilight hack corrupt my Zelda save files and overall playing experience on Zelda?

twilight hack...if you didn't update to 4.0, then your fine i think, but first back up your saved zelda file on your SD card.

No, that would be RE4. R4 is a tool for the DS that is basically an SD card where you can download games and play them on your DS. The idea is that people who buy the games don't have to carry around all the games and cases, but most people use it to illegally download and play games.

thx for the R4 info, That cheaters for ya er...i mean taking something for nothing. I did have HBC but followed some guys instructions on youtube, forgot 1 direction to get all features of 4.0 w/o killing HBC but couldn't access shop channel thought it was an error so stupidly i reformatted my wii now back to square one.

R4 was the best thing I ever did..:p

Anyways, 4.0 was a great update and I finally gave in to the SD card thing and got one. Holds a crap load of stuff (even the 2GB one). Saved me some blocks and downloaded some sweet stuff. I am enjoying my Wii again!

R4 was the best thing I ever did..:p

Anyways, 4.0 was a great update and I finally gave in to the SD card thing and got one. Holds a crap load of stuff (even the 2GB one). Saved me some blocks and downloaded some sweet stuff. I am enjoying my Wii again!

the 4.0 update is good i think. love the arcade icon in the shop channel

hi all. i'm a wii owner since last august, but started getting into the virtual console and online stuff recently. how do i check to see what version of wii i have?

hi all. i'm a wii owner since last august, but started getting into the virtual console and online stuff recently. how do i check to see what version of wii i have?

go into the option icon on the lower left i believe then click on wii system i think.

Back