Wii "Bubble" about to burst?

What is sad is the xbox has stalled and paid online play is only for some people the rest of us will game ionline for free and really this is MS trying to say some thing before Wiiware hits and brawl. I'm sure they are scared because the Wii only has a few months before the have a large install base than MS in the US.

It's pretty simple MS has no answer for the Wii. No one is waiting in line for it. Once the 3rd parties start popping up on the Wii it's pretty much PS time for nintendo again. Until MS actually starts to make good games them selves they will stay in trouble. I mean really they need to worry about the PS3 since every one thinks it's going to crush the xbox 360, which is easy to do if your system is stalled.

sagema said:
Where do you keep finding these biased articles? Are you going to post this crap for the next year or two here? If so I can't wait to leave these forums in March. I won't miss this fan boy BS.

Huh?

Ease up man, I simply posted it for the sake of discussion.
Funny claims and what not, I figured would be a good thing to discuss.
I also hope you weren't calling me a MS fanboy..because I am not, far from it.

I also hope you don't go, I actually like you and think your a good poster on here. Sorry for the mix-up?

WiitnessID said:
What is sad is the xbox has stalled and paid online play is only for some people the rest of us will game ionline for free and really this is MS trying to say some thing before Wiiware hits and brawl. I'm sure they are scared because the Wii only has a few months before the have a large install base than MS in the US.

It's pretty simple MS has no answer for the Wii. No one is waiting in line for it. Once the 3rd parties start popping up on the Wii it's pretty much PS time for nintendo again. Until MS actually starts to make good games them selves they will stay in trouble. I mean really they need to worry about the PS3 since every one thinks it's going to crush the xbox 360, which is easy to do if your system is stalled.

I agree, i still have friends camping out at walmart just for a wii. and think of it this way, 360 released it's best game already and it's still scared its gonna lose, that says something.

CantGetAWii said:

I have a few choice words for that person that is unprintable here. All I can say to this article is, "Here we go again..."

I have said all I could say to articles like these in other threads with the same theme. Namely that the wii is gonna die coz it's too weak to compete.

samXcor3 said:
Well it looks like if I get another console it'll be a PS3. I'd rather have some crazy guy saying Nintendo stole sphere worlds from Ratchet and Clank than some d-bag telling me Mario Galaxy isn't enough for me and I need a damn 360.

Yeah, I hear ya! That's really messed up, ain't it?

Trulen said:
That's mighty cocky of Microsoft to say.

I'll always get their OS, but I'll trust Sony for a number of things more (Runnin' on a Sony Vaio right now.)

Play nice, Microsoft.

This kinda arrogance impresses no one and it makes one very careless. Microsoft better watch it's back; every company that got cocky like this got taken down.

sagema said:
Where do you keep finding these biased articles? Are you going to post this crap for the next year or two here? If so I can't wait to leave these forums in March. I won't miss this fan boy BS.

I can assure you he is no fanboy and did not post this article to bash the wii. He finds them on the net and post them here to insite descussion. But the article are telling in themselves, in that they show how much the wii is hated and vilified by most of the gaming press. We will see how all their wii doomsday predictions play out.

Last edited:
sagema said:
Well, honestly I haven't bothered finding you so that I can hold a gun to your head and force you to read these threads. Personally, I look at the topic starter, and if it's not someone who I can depend on for a good article read, I don't enter, if it's interesting, or the poster is dependable, I do.

I am open to companies coming into the market, almost welcoming, I just don't care to have ones that have such attitude and little impact in the gaming world. I love the MS operating systems, but that's about all they're good for.

sagema said:

They are every where just go to NG4...LOL those guys are silly. Kotaku has a lot also and every one they are coll with. It's simple find the Ps3 owners and things will get pissy then find the live addicts and you will find all of these articles.

I think I may learn how to read Japanese as thats the only place to get good news about the Wii. Do you also notice how these guys still ignore most games coming out on the DS?

if i had a penny for everytime microsoft said the wii will flop, id buy microsoft

"The casual gamer gets all giggly with a few tokes of the Wii-mote-bong and next thing you know, spacing out to Super Mario Galaxy doesn't get the endorphins kicking like it used to. Now you need stronger graphics and space-out games like Mass Effect."

That is some damn good writing. I feel there is definitely that potential, but he's taking it too far to declare that their strategy is waiting for gamers to be enlightened.

:lol: I just liked the drug refferances more than anything.
I was thinking about it myself before I even saw it twards the end of the post :lol: :lol:

Gateway console...lol what a joke

Dave Chappelle in Half Baked said:
Mary Jane: Marijuana is terrible. It's a gateway drug. I mean, everybody knows that it leads to other stuff.
Thurgood: Yeah, mostly junk food.

:lol: :lol: There are way more Pot Heads in this world content on just smoking pot all day... Gateway Drug...:lol:

Makes sence though 360 is the crack Ps3 is the Heroin... They both cost more and half the time you don't even remeber having fun in the first place :lol: :lol:

Ahh dumb biased article still the same...

Personally, I quite like the Xbox, I just don't like its creators. Sony tried the same thing not too long ago aswell saying 'The PS3 is infinitely more and challenging than the Wii' - sad. Wii Play and Wii Sports are the gateway games to the hardcore games now coming to the Wii. They transform average Joes into gamers and then they are kept on the Wii by the hardcore base now on its way.

EDIT: I wouldn't say the article really is biased - it's at least neutral, if not for Nintendo. Most of it he's just quoting Microsoft and saying they really are being too arogant.

Last edited:
I think it's good marketing strategy by Microsoft. They've seen the potential in catering to the casual crowd as well as the hardcore crowd so they've started to produce some casual games. However, they don't have casual word of mouth because all they're known for is the Mass Effects, the Halos, the Assassin's Creeds, etc. By calling the Wii a gateway console to bigger and better things, they drum up interest in their own machine.

However, I think it speaks volumes that less than 6 months after they release their biggest game in history, Halo 3, they're still specifically targetting the Wii's user base and trying to sway them away from "the little white box that could".

The tough part will be getting these people in the first place... Granted the other consoles offer more dedicated specific genre titles that tend to get cult followings...

But remeber the first Excuses to loosing to the Wii in the first place? It was the fact moms,dads,grandmas,grandpas and little kids made up the large number of the new gamer audience on the Wii.

Alot of these people ditched gaming years ago because they were sick of the games becoming more "hardcore" Thats where we get the rating systems for games in the 90's because parents cracked down and didn't like the direction games were going. Becoming more voilent and unsuitable for the family or even a casual atmosphere.. Thats why we even have terms like "Harcore" and "Fanboys" because gaming for the last few years has consisted of dedicated gamers and they influenced the direction of the market.
Unlike before where gaming was always just a wide variety of gamers with different taste from Tetris,Sonic and even Doom

Nintendo has always tryed to give the squeeky clean image of the family friendly console even in the light of N64 and GC not doing as well as the competition. They stuck to there guns and although they conformed a little bit at the time to stay in buisness, the market stategy stayed the same.
The dedication to this buisness strategy shows in the progress of the Wii. This time with the new game play "less buttons" more movement and user friendlyness of the Wii it payed off 10 fold for them, giving them in less than a years time sales numbers they have never seen "let alone the gaming industy has ever seen" And quickly shot them to the number 1 slot even being a year behind 360 and offering less technicals then eaither the 360 or ps3.

Now even though the 360 and ps3 are great system without a change of image they are not going to appeal to the new mass audience of the casual gamers, At best they could try making some more family friendly games maybe try some fancy new peripheral's to get them in the same user friendlyness of the Wii.
If they want the "Casual" sales they are going to have to clean up there image and change from dedicated "hardcore" systems to family friendly offering a something for everyone systems.

Neaither the ps3 or 360 will win in this gen, at best they can hope for second place if they are lucky. If this "fad" of new casual gamers sticks around they could attempt to take hold of it in the next gen, but in doing so they would in a sense have to turn there back on there hardcore stategy and fanbase that they have lived by for all these years and redirect funds to a broader casual audience. Pretty much they would have to start going back the way they came from and hope they are accepted again.

Risky decision to say the least

The thing that everyone seems to be forgetting is that all gamers start out as young children. Your average 5 year old is not playing Halo 3. Your average 5 year old is playing pong.

Then you get to your young adult years and you get the super complicated games that are easy for them to pick up because the only things they have to concern themselves with are school and video games. Think about it; from middle school through maybe junior year, a child goes to school, and eats at home. They have no other responsibilities and their parents are working a lot so they have nothing else to do but play video games.

Then these young adults graduate and move on to college or the working world and they still have no responsibilities except school/work and eating/sleeping. So what do they do? Play video games. It doesn't matter that the game is super complicated because they have plenty of time to learn all the ins and outs of the game.

It's when you have a family that your video game time really gets cut down. You have to give your spouse time, and your children take up a LOT of your time. Now all of a sudden, Halo 3 with it's 13 button combination is waaay too much for you to invest time in. You're not a casual gamer, you're now a gamer with less time to game. Zelda is no less hardcore than Halo, but Zelda is much easier to pick up and play than Halo is.

Nintendo didn't find a new breed of gamer, they've just continued to cater to ALL gamers as opposed to gamers in the 12-25 year old range.

masterjedi said:
The thing that everyone seems to be forgetting is that all gamers start out as young children. Your average 5 year old is not playing Halo 3. Your average 5 year old is playing pong.

Then you get to your young adult years and you get the super complicated games that are easy for them to pick up because the only things they have to concern themselves with are school and video games. Think about it; from middle school through maybe junior year, a child goes to school, and eats at home. They have no other responsibilities and their parents are working a lot so they have nothing else to do but play video games.

Then these young adults graduate and move on to college or the working world and they still have no responsibilities except school/work and eating/sleeping. So what do they do? Play video games. It doesn't matter that the game is super complicated because they have plenty of time to learn all the ins and outs of the game.

It's when you have a family that your video game time really gets cut down. You have to give your spouse time, and your children take up a LOT of your time. Now all of a sudden, Halo 3 with it's 13 button combination is waaay too much for you to invest time in. You're not a casual gamer, you're now a gamer with less time to game. Zelda is no less hardcore than Halo, but Zelda is much easier to pick up and play than Halo is.

Nintendo didn't find a new breed of gamer, they've just continued to cater to ALL gamers as opposed to gamers in the 12-25 year old range.

Well in college I was surfing, training and a few other non-video game related things (I think I fit girls in there somewhere too :D ), but joking aside, this is a terrific assessment of the "life cycle" of a typical gamer :thumbsup:

Back