Wii Bundles and Consumer Rights

vagrant said:
Once again, he bought the bundle online, not in store.

And how is it not ethical for wal-mart to sell bundles? Target, EbGames, Bestbuy, Amazon also sold/sell bundles. And as he said, they all have this same policy. It is common sense really.

I know he bought the bundle online, and he knew exactly what he was getting.

It's not ethical because you are turning away the consumers who may just want the console in favor of those who are going to purchase $400 extra in games and accessories. Consumers shouldn't be turned away from buying an item just because the retailer isn't going to make a profit on it.

Kryptenx said:
I know he bought the bundle online, and he knew exactly what he was getting.

It's not ethical because you are turning away the consumers who may just want the console in favor of those who are going to purchase $400 extra in games and accessories. Consumers shouldn't be turned away from buying an item just because the retailer isn't going to make a profit on it.

You can buy the wii by itself. So how does that make sense?

When I buy a bundle all items are listed seperately. We have a decent system in place in the uk to stop retailers being assholes about everything...
Office of Fair Trading (OFT) and Trading standards are two good organizations.
The Sale of Goods Act is also a great peice of legislation.

vagrant said:
What if they had a bundle that was like $50 cheaper together than it would be with everything seperate? You could just buy it, and return the items seperately and make profit. Doesn't that seem a tad tarded?

Well how about he refunds the whole thing... Then sells the unit as one item.
i.e. if you got a wii for 250$ and say a game at 40$ instead of 60$ in a bundle... = 290$...
You would get a refund of (wait for it...) 40$! Cause that's what you paid above the cost of the other item...
I thought that was obvious.

BrandonMcAuslan said:
When I buy a bundle all items are listed seperately. We have a decent system in place in the uk to stop retailers being assholes about everything...
Office of Fair Trading (OFT) and Trading standards are two good organizations.
The Sale of Goods Act is also a great peice of legislation.

Well how about he refunds the whole thing... Then sells the unit as one item.
i.e. if you got a wii for 250$ and say a game at 40$ instead of 60$ in a bundle... = 290$...
You would get a refund of (wait for it...) 40$! Cause that's what you paid above the cost of the other item...
I thought that was obvious.

Only he didn't day $20 more per game in the bundle, so that really doesn't apply.

He didn't even say how much was the bundle. so it could apply? its just hypothetical anyway. in some stores like online, you can't just buy the system alone. Isn't it better to leave all avenues clear so the customer can make a choice of where to purchase? It's forcing people to camp out to get the system alone. And selling it onlines forces people to return it as a bundle, which sucks because some of the games you get sucks. Some stores even add subscriptions and bullshit which marks up the price and you feel like you getting back less. These bundles are udder crap and there is no option online "bundle, or no bundle" its just bundle.

Last edited:
But you know the RRP of all the items? Does the store ONLY sell bundles.? So they wouldn't be interested in selling games to people who already have wiis?
If they do sell the items seperately its easy to work out the individual costs.
Bundles are supposed to entice customers to spend more money and get a small discount on their products. Not take advantage of limited demand for a product to sell items above the Recommended Retail Price.

Nintendo deliberately set their prices low for the wii. It would defeat the purpose of having a cheap fun console if retailers are gonna bump up the price of the unit. Or only allow it to be sold with lots of accessories. Which also increases the cost to the consumer...

Well I will say this I think that if you are force to buying something that you yourself don't want then there should be a price cut for that games not the system. I do think that it's wrong for retailer to put systems into bundles, If it wasn't and this is speaking from our point of view then why not let the comsumers choose the game of thier liking. These retailer send study groups to look into other sites and wish lists (that you know they do) put the games that are not in high demand in the bundles and than ask you to buy this or else. I highly doubt they would put zelda in these bundle for they already know that that game is going to do good by itself. The point for them is making money; remember this, you go on about if you don't want it then don't buy it.Well if I say to them ( the retailers)if you want people to trust your stores then don't try to screw them over. And another thing I think it's only right to return the game you didn't want for something for equal price for a game you will enjoy.

Should of waited outside or preordered if you didn't want a bundle. If you had just waited a few hours outside of a 24/7 wal-mart on saturday they released them at midnight.

I would make nintendo aware of this issue as it does have a factor in their business strategy. Its their product and their name. I might be aware that its not nintendo's policy to force lots of expensive peripherals down your throat at launch. But a disgruntled parent might take offense to the product as much as the store?
As I said earlier there weren't any bundle problems in the UK I'm aware of. Except Game made you buy it with Zelda. Zelda's ace. But I would prob try to return it to Game for making me buy it... Then buy it somewhere else cause its ace...

chronoswing said:
Should of waited outside or preordered if you didn't want a bundle. If you had just waited a few hours outside of a 24/7 wal-mart on saturday they released them at midnight.

He did preorder, he preordered the bundle with the intentions of getting a wii and just returning the games.

And I do know how much the bundle cost, because it was brought up in many a threads and I saw it on the wal-mart website.

He was in no way forced to buy a bundle, he just chose to, to make sure he got a wii as soon as possible.

If you want a wii as soon as possible you shouldn't HAVE to buy a bundle...
I'm sure nintendo would agree.

BrandonMcAuslan said:
If you want a wii as soon as possible you shouldn't HAVE to buy a bundle...
I'm sure nintendo would agree.

He didn't have to buy a bundle to get it as soon as possible. He just thought he would have to. Clearly he didn't get it as soon as possible.

Back