Wii looks Terrible

T3kNi9e said:
I think its just a TV. Since the Wii's graphics isnt so great and has no 1080 resolution then the image is basically stretched which is why it looks so jagged. All games look better on smaller TVs and better on bigger TVs when it doesnt support 720p or 1080p because it becomes stretched. So maybe play the Wii on a smaller TV? Which now that I look over a bit, someone else just said basically the same thing. So yea, I agree with him.

P.S. Why must people always criticize other peoples posts? As if writing in proper grammer/spelling is a rule. Also why must people always explain things all in detail, why not just use common sense?

and yes im talking about sremick making pointless arguements about tinklestar's posts.

thanks seems that this is the case. cheers. i agree with the criticism

thats the same settings i use on mine but it isnt nearly that bad... you know you are supose to sit more than a foot away from big screen t.v.'s right? lol j/k

Im suprised there isnt anymore options to clean it up. They know most everything you watch wont be in that type of output. probably wont be for another 5-10 years. Thats more a big computer montior with its contrast ratio at 15000:1 and resolution at 1920 x 1080...

honestly not much is going to look good on it except things like Blue ray,HDDVD,and the 360 and ps3 maxed out.. even your new HD cable box wont be that great...out of the few HD channels there are most HD channels arnt in 1080 but 720...

You could try finding a nice upconverter but most of them are garbage too...

wezeles said:
yes thanks. i do sit about 6 foot away is highly noticable. the closer i go obviously the worse it gets. thanks anyway, at least i know now and just continue playing the wii with much fun as previously. just though i could smarten it up that all. when all the guys are around and we have sunk a few beers it makes no differance anyway. cheers

True... and Wii is always a blast when your drunk and shouldn't be standing let alone swinging a bat or bowling...lol, but that is some of the worst games to look at anyways... they are so basic they barely show you what the wii can do... like the guys said some other games like metriod will help.

i would say take that t.v. back get one that can support everything instead of just HD... Then you can watch everything without having to tell yourself that it looks so bad because you t.v. is just so good...lol and you will save some cash and can get a bigger screen...

Beyond that your best bet is to look around for an HDTV scaler/upconverter that closely matches the ratio of your t.v. then

Last edited:
I see what you mean about the pins looking all blurred out. I have a Philips 42" LCD HDTV at home and I'll try taking some similar pics later on for comparison and post them here.

What you may be running into is poor upscaling by the TV. For LCD, Plasma, and other fixed-size pixel displays, any video signal being sent to the TV must be converted to the display's native resolution. This should hopefully be done in a way that does not significantly alter the appearance of the image, however some TVs are better at the resolution conversion than others. If this is the case with your TV, different cables probably won't make a difference and you may be stuck with it like that until you switch TVs.

Although Samsung typically has some pretty good TVs, so I'm not sure.

Last edited:
T3kNi9e said:
Why must people always criticize other peoples posts? As if writing in proper grammer/spelling is a rule. Also why must people always explain things all in detail, why not just use common sense?
Why must people always exaggerate with "always"?

First of all, check my post history. I don't "always criticize other peoples' posts". I spend most of my posting time on here trying to help.

Secondly, proper spelling and grammar make for clear communication. If the reader can understand you so there's no confusion, there's less wasted time back and forth. Perhaps you haven't been in tech support long enough to have experienced many wasted emails only to learn that what the customer said wasn't what they meant. On top of that, it's simple courtesy. If a person is bothered that I prefer they write legibly if they're expecting tech support, then they can have a full-refund for everything they paid me to spend time trying to help them.

And finally, I spoke up to tinklestar because she was confused by the face stumac gave her when she said "Im playing my wii on a 52" hdtv with no cables". Of course we all knew she couldn't possibly be not using cables. It was sarcasm. Talk to stumac, s/he pointed it out first.

My graphics are extremely smooth on the Wii. I don't have any HD tv's, nor huge projectors. I just think it's the setup you're running, that and when you're used to playing Xbox 360 where everything seems perfectly refined, opinions tend to be a bit stronger.

sremick said:
Why must people always exaggerate with "always"?

First of all, check my post history. I don't "always criticize other peoples' posts". I spend most of my posting time on here trying to help.

Think that is what bugs me. You, from my short time on this forum, are one of the most intelligent, helpful and well spoken members. Which is why I saw your criticizing of tinklestar as completely unnecessary.

You could have just said NOTHING. I knew what she was talking about and from your post about it being sarcastic, you did as well. I honestly think you owe her an apology.

But hey, I am not the internet police, so do what you want.

Back to topic. To the OP, after having viewed your photos, there is definitely something wrong. It shouldn't look that blurry. I know mine doesn't with component cables on a 50" LCD projection TV.

sremick's response just proves my point. I bet when people say "Wii is the ****" you take it literally instead of metaphorically?

wezeles said:
Beyond that your best bet is to look around for an HDTV scaler/upconverter that closely matches the ratio of your t.v. then

Thanks again, where would i find one of these upscalers? i looked around on ebay and found none. any ideas? are they any good? someone previously stated this but said they are garbage. is this the case. Thanks

What is a good game that shows the wii's capability? some people suggested metroid prime 3. to be honest i played the first one on the cube and i couldnt get into it. i may download the trailer, can you do this on the VC site? i will probably end up getting mario galaxy. mario games are the best IMO. i have paper mario but its not what i expected, good but not a typical mario game for me. cant wait for the new mario kart

Get Galexy. I think this game will show good on your TV well and I think you will enjoy it.

for HDTV upconverter/scalers your going to need to check out Electronic specialty sites and stores..lol and i was the one who said they were garbage... they arnt bad but it really is a patch job i think... its not the best picture quality for what they claim it can do... but its still way way better than not using one...

Just be careful and make sure if you do buy one that it says it will increase the picture quality to HDTV... alot of times they try to play these things off as upconverters but they are really just adapters to go from one style input to another...

Here is a popular one
http://www.hdtvsupply.com/composite-to-hdmi-converter.html

and this one
http://www.cwol.com/hdtv/hdtv-video-scaler-dvi.htm

I like this one best, although its DVI output so you would need a DVI to HDMI adapter "unless you can find the same one in HDMI" i dont think your model offers DVI inputs, downside is it doesn't have Audio inputs so if your using the t.v. itself for sound instead of a surround sound system your going to have to figure that out... but eaither way invest in surround sound..lol you didn't spend 2 grand for a t.v. to listen to it in stereo sound... ha ha

i used this brand on my old bosses entertainment system when he went and bought a fancy 60 LCD HD 1080p... comes to me freaked out and said most his shows looked like crap and the t.v. wasnt backwards compatibal enough to fix it... only decent looking shows were the HD channels and even then they wernt great...

It outputs in in DVI so you get a nice HD signal and it matches your 1920x1080 res... so its about as good as your gonna get

the best thing is it has composite,s-video,componet so any older video source you have you can plug into say a switchbox and just select between them and have this push it out in HD... It will work for DVD,Cable boxes,game consoles,vcr, whatever... the bad thing is alot of times you have to adjust it for each individual source to make it look perfect...

These things pretty much fill in the blanks when a T.V. cant... has lots of adjustability and its own menu.. fairly easy to use but to be able to enjoy the old with the new its kinda required....

you can look around for a better price or different brand just make sure when it upconverts it matches as close to your t.v's native resolution as possibal

hope that helps... not a tone of people making them and they go for a decent price... but dont think of it just for your Wii, i wouldnt tell anyone to buy a 250 dollar converter to make there Wii Look as good as there 360 or PS3...lol

but you will need it for your regular t.v. watching aswell..

if you have alot of older audio video stuff you would like to upconvert/scale you might even want to try one of the switcher boxes that lets you hook up more than one device at a time
http://www.hdtvsupply.com/gefen-ext-hometsp-home-theater-scaler-plus.html and you get 3 free cables... a nice thing considering thats what nickles and dimes the Entertainment guru to death..

Last edited:
Back