Wii Modchip, I need answers

joe_duffy

Wii gamer, 360 gamer
Jan 8, 2007
United Kingdom
Wii Online Code
2755-2722-6827-0320
Hi everyone, I have been thinking about getting a Modchip put in my Nintendo Wii but was wondering if it changes anything? can u still download VC games and can u still play people online? Also if you Modchip the Wii can u still only play region coded games and is there any chance of the console breaking or freezing if it has a Modchip in it?

The modchip basically allowes you to play games from different regions, But if your Wii breaks your messed because your not supposed to open up the console

Why not just play region games, I mean is it that hard to wait for a game to come out in your region...

No its not hard I could easily wait just thinking about getting it done for cheaper games.

Does it put the console at risk thats what I'm wondering?

Not really,
But if it breaks, By putting the chip in you void your warranty and you won't be able to get a replacement,
But no, No harm should be done if it's installed correctly

So over time it won't break or anything? it will just work as good as always?

Depends on the chip really. Most will let you play non-region but there are still some issues between PAL and NTSC. I've heard that playing a PAL game on a chipped Wii will brick it. But Japanese NTSC games play just fine on a modded Wii.

My recomendation is stay to your local format (NTSC or PAL) and you'll be fine. There are some chips claiming to allow PAL on NTSC systems, but i'm not willing to be the beta tester on that for 250 bucks.

I need Help on this too.. Many say that the uptade can brake your Wii?

jan22, all I can say is read up on it. The mods mean you are opening the case and soldering wires to between 5 and 9 different points. If you can't do that, don't even consider it unless you go to a dealer willing to do it for you.

Beyond getting it in, it's unlikey Nintendo will have a way to brick your console for having it because as is notes in this thread, the chip only adds data to the stream coming from the disc to make the disc appear as an original. It does not do anything to the bios itself the way xbox mods do, which make them detectable by xbox live updates. Even still, if Nintendo tries to make the chip not work, most allow you to either update them (to get around said "fix') or to simply shut them off.

Do your homework though. You need to know what you're doing.

and BTW, you should be buying these games and backing them up. Stealing all your games online only means game prices go up for the rest of us who pay for them. Thats how new and better games get developed.

Last edited:
As soon as you open up the console, you will void your warranty. If anything happens to the console after that point, you are completely on your own. Just a word of warning.

Joe_Duffy: Even an NTSC game from Japan could potentially brick a Wii from the US if the firmware update on the game disk was newer than the firmware on your Wii.
If you are careful with what code you run then the modchip is completely safe.

Most open source modchips cost like $3 and does the exact same as the $40 WiiKey. It requires 5 wires to solder and there's no way for Nintendo to 'patch' it since it's only hacking the DVD drive and the DVD drive is not upgradeable. There are new Wii's that has newer chip or solder points removed but it only start to show up recently.

The Wii has no warranty sticker on it and thus noway of Nintendo to prove it's been open. And I have heard of people successfully getting their replaced by Nintendo even there are very obvious signs of failed modchip attempt.

I'm not encouraging modchips, just stating some facts.

The latest Wii in the Asian market has 3 legs on an IC chip cut off right at the chip. Those legs were connected to the solder points on the circuit board. One may still mod it but it is a lot more difficult. One may need to sand down the plastic on the chip to expose the legs. Those sold in Europe and US market are not affected yet.

Last edited:
Buddy, the question is pretty simple: if you leave in Europe or in the US, dont bother installing a modchip because you can purchase games ate reasonable prices.

If you live ELSEWHERE, by all means, DO get a modchip installed.

Usually, americans and europeans complain about all that piracy blah blah blah, but unfortunately their vision is restricted to their own reality, and they dont understand that some places in the world you NEED to use pirated game simply because stores dont sell original games, and online purchase is absurdely expensive.

Having installed 7 wii mod chips now (friends and family) I can tell you that the install is both easy (depending on the chip you buy) and painless. It'll take you longer to open the wii (take out the screws, open the case) than it does to install the chip.

1. Wii can be used online
2. No bricking of the wii. Install is super easy (depending again on the chip)
3. VC games work, no problesm.
4. WiiConnect no issues. It's as if the chip was not even there
5. Update done to 3 wii consoles after chip installed, no issues, chip is not detected at all

You'll have no problems playing it. Japanese Wii games work without issue. PAL Wii game from Europe have some issues loading, but you can set the region of you buy a chip that has a settings disc included.

As for the warranty.. There are no warranty stickers, install is fairly easy, even if you're not very handy with a soldering iron)... Also, remember that your warranty is ONLY good for 90 days, so anytime after that, opening your Wii has no effect on your warranty anyway, as the warranty period is over.

Feel free to ask any questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

I saw a youtube video that did the mod from opening the case to turning it back on within 10 minutes or so. :yikes:
The Wii games cost mostly $30-$50 a piece here in the US (a couple are $20 or less though). But I would not buy it if they are not on sale with at least 15% off because I know a store that has 15% off almost every month.

Last edited:
Back