Q. Could my wii have a mod chip in it?

wiihelpme

WiiChat Member
Oct 10, 2007
I brought a Nintendo wii off ebay. It turned out it was a NTSC (JPN) model.
I think it must have a modchip in the console. As the person I brought it off said it comes with the wii sports game & it does, only it is a copied version. So it plays a version that has been copied onto a DVD-R 4.7gb 120min disk. Do normal wii’s play copied disks or only wii’s with wiikeys (modchips) in them?

it is definitely modded if it plays copied games, if you feel unsafe with this wii, maybe he accepts returns, good thing is, you can play american games on it because it is now region free but you never know if nintendo will decide to zap modded consoles:sick:

You can now play copied games or games from any region.
The only thing you need to worry about is this- When you put any game in, if it tries to get you to update firmware or download an update or anything like that, say no. The updates are region specific and can wreck a console if updated with the wrong region's firmware. Make sure you only download the update for the region YOUR WII IS FROM. Not where you are.
You may need to ask someone else on here how to make sure you get the right updates. I just know how NOT to get them!
Appart from all this doom and gloom, many people would see it as a big advantage to have a wii with a modchip already installed.

That thing is eventually gonna brick with an update. I'd return it.

Is there a way to remove the mod chip? Or is it a permenant modification?

Normal wiis don't have modchips installed in them. Advantage of having a modchip installed is that you can play any games from any region. Disadvantage you should keep a lookout for updates. For example, Big Brain Academy has an update for the US(PAL) version.. If you accidentaly update your jpn wii.. oh no.. bricked!

yep you have a modchip(like me)!!!!its been said b4 but be carefull when updating from a disk. allways download updates though the internet. and don't buy coppies. you can import games though

If it plays a *copy* of a game from a generic DVD/R, then without question it has been modified.

That you mentioned a Wiikey means you have some knowledge of these products, so I'm sure you figured this out for yourself.

I'm not sure if this was a legit question since you seem to understand the concept of a mod chip, or just a way to introduce the fact you bought a modified Wii (in a passive "do I have this?" sort of contrivance).

At any rate, have fun with it! :)

If you can't return it, and you are that dead set on getting rid of the modchip, you could always just open up the Wii and desolder the modchip. If you don't know how to do that, just cut the wires going to the chip. Make sure those wires are cut to where they can't touch anything else in the Wii, otherwise you could have a fried Wii.

well this is good and bad for you....mostly good. Now you can burn off games of any region, might have to use region free, but you get the point. Bad news is that wii sports is not an original....but who cares =p..it wont brick just keep updating the firmware and you wont brick it so that means since its a JPN wii. You gata burn off the latest JPN game cause they come with firmware. So always check in forums to see witch has a firmware update. Playing an american game with a firmware up date will brick you. Pm if you need site or help

Last edited:
Just wondering how much did you pay for it? If its less then $250 I wonder why a person would sell a modded wii for less then $250 when the chip cost $50 some odd dollars.

Link_of_Hyrule said:
Just wondering how much did you pay for it? If its less then $250 I wonder why a person would sell a modded wii for less then $250 when the chip cost $50 some odd dollars.
Selling anything with a mod chip on eBay is against their rules. He kept it normal price so they wouldn't expect anything is my guess.

Back