Wii Modchip, I need answers

Yes. Connecting your Wii to the internet and downloading the updates is the safest way. All of the bricked Wiis so far have been from updates on game discs.

Hmm.. Ill try on my Wii and try to walk you through it

Main menu choose Wii options in the bottom left
Choose Wii Settings on the right
Goto the third page
Select the third item down
It will ask to connect to the internet, say yes (on the left)
It will test connection and download the update

Hellu, I dont exactly know what ive gotten myself into really what with your talk about internet updates and such but I was passing a store that sold nintendo wiis here in bejing on my travels in china and bought one cause they were so cheap compared to sweden (just one game in sweden is from 70 to 85 US dollars). Anyways, you lads seem to know alot about it so here goes

If I connect it to internet in sweden, will there be any problems with online updating\gaming? (for example will I be able to play other swedes)

Can I play PAL-games on the wii (no clue what chip I have)

Can I see what kind of chip I have? I thought it would be more like my modded xbox with new software and such

I didnt even know that it had an online feature, does it cost money to use?

thanks for you help.

billcsho said:
Which game and how much? Circuit City has Mario Party 8 on sale for $30 last week. That is $20 below regular price. Many stores have dropped the prices of some Wii games by $20 to $30 already while other stores still selling at full price. The cheapest I saw was FarCry at $9 in Costco.
you lucky so and so's! lol its $100 min for a game here, cheapest ive seen on sale is that marvel game for $89

stilren:

If I connect it to internet in sweden, will there be any problems with online updating\gaming? (for example will I be able to play other swedes)
No problems. The only gotcha is to find out which region your Wii is supposed to be from and set it for that region as some downloads arent available in certain areas. For example someone had a USA Wii in asia and when he selected his country he couldnt download the browser. I told him to set the Wii to USA and it worked :)

Well yes and no. Is your Wii NTSC and is your TV NTSC? Most games note which video standard they are and even PAL games can be patched to run on NTSC systems.

Can I see what kind of chip I have? I thought it would be more like my modded xbox with new software and such
Impossible unless you take the Wii apart and connect the chip to a programmer. The Wii modchips are completely invisible to the system. In fact the "DVD upgradable" chips are especially amazing and dangerous if you understand how they are working.

I didnt even know that it had an online feature, does it cost money to use?
No unless you want to spend money buying games through the internet from Nintendo.

ciper said:
stilren:
Well yes and no. Is your Wii NTSC and is your TV NTSC? Most games note which video standard they are and even PAL games can be patched to run on NTSC systems.

hmm, lets see, since the standard is PAL in sweden and NTSC in asia I guess my TV is PAL and my wii NTSC. Is there trouble in that aswell?

btw, thanks for the answers. I cant try it yet though cause im still in beijing. Going to the great wall tomorrow and then im off for home and a mad wii marathon! hopefully...

Last edited:
Back