Wii-mote speaker

trebonius said:
Would poor sound quality in your wiimote ruin your Christmas morning? Seriously?

No of course not. With Wii being in short supply nearly everyone who gets one on xmas morning will be overjoyed. However, many people will be annoyed after 2 or 3 days into playing zelda when the speaker just stops working or crackles. Some (like me) will be pretty p***ed at the fact that
the Wii mote speaker gives up after such a short period, and we all have the right to expect our Wiis to work and do what Nintendo says they should do.

surprisejimmy said:
lol on the american customer service website there's a special option for getter ur wii-mote speaker fixed that involves a different process than any other warrantee issue

Could you link the website to this forum thread - that way people can find it easier and let Nintendo know that they have a problem with the speakers.

If people complain now the quicker Nintendo will solve the problem for subsequent Wii-mote production and that will mean future Wii buyers can be saved the hassle we're experiencing. Plus, we might be able to get replacement Wii-motes that work a little quicker.

druid said:
Could you link the website to this forum thread - that way people can find it easier and let Nintendo know that they have a problem with the speakers.

If people complain now the quicker Nintendo will solve the problem for subsequent Wii-mote production and that will mean future Wii buyers can be saved the hassle we're experiencing. Plus, we might be able to get replacement Wii-motes that work a little quicker.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/repair/repair_charts_wii.jsp

5-7 business days to repair for the U.S. The Wiimotes have a one year warantee I believe which is why you can send it back. I wouldn't expect any hardware changes though to fix the problem, not yet anyway. They'll just replace what needs to be replaced with the same part because it doesn't look like it's a major issue yet.

EDIT* By the way, got there through here:

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/ts/wiiremote.jsp#speaker

It lists a solution and tells you to send it in for repair if the solution doesn't work.

Last edited:
Was playing tennis earlier with a mate, and even though the settings were the same, his speaker was louder then mine, and I could barely hear mine and couldn't figure out why mine was quieter. Then I noticed, it's 'cause my thumb was covering the speaker. True story. :D

Wiired said:
Was playing tennis earlier with a mate, and even though the settings were the same, his speaker was louder then mine, and I could barely hear mine and couldn't figure out why mine was quieter. Then I noticed, it's 'cause my thumb was covering the speaker. True story. :D
haha

I'm pretty sure this is interference. When I run my Slingbox on my home wireless it causes the Wiimote to crackle - turn it off and it works fine. Turn it on . . . crackle. When my computer is downloading . . . minor crackling . . .

Recon102 said:
I'm pretty sure this is interference. When I run my Slingbox on my home wireless it causes the Wiimote to crackle - turn it off and it works fine. Turn it on . . . crackle. When my computer is downloading . . . minor crackling . . .
why would people have problems with one wiimote and not another then?

surprisejimmy said:

Because radio transmission and reception is a funny thing. Like I said before, my sound issues are demonstrably radio problems. If I hold my remote near my console, the problems go away every time. But one of my remotes is more susceptible to interference than the other. It might be because I've dropped it a few times, or it could be slight variations in manufacturing or improper tuning. I don't know.

So it may indeed be a defect in my wiimote, but in my case, it has nothing to do with speaker quality.

surprisejimmy said:

I think it is because every wiimote is logged on at a slightly different frequency. Trust me - it IS the interference.:yikes:

Another interesting problem . . . my PS3 had a loud hum and an occassional line creeping up the screen. I read on another forum that it was grounded too many times and there was a feedback loop. Hard to believe . . . it didn't seem possible - but the guy was an electrician and explained it. I removed the grounding prong off of the power cable and like magic not a bit of noise!!!! Wow - I love the internet.

A far better solution is to get a ground loop isolator. Removing the grounding plug makes the equipment more susceptible power spikes and other nastiness, I believe.

Mitch2025 said:
does anyone elses wii-motes speakers crackle? every so offten, my wiimote will produce a crackle sound instead of the shound its suppost to (like pulling back the bow string or swinging the sword). i just wanna know if anyone else has this problem

I've had to lower the volume of both remotes to one single bar. I can't stand them.

Back