Wii Overheat?

trollface

WiiChat Member
Apr 5, 2011
co
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0000
Unplug it when not in use.

Just found out the little bugger is really hot ALL THE TIME! Most modern electronics go into standby but apparently the Wii goes full throttle 24/7...

Anyway just a tip for those with freeze up problems mine use to be on all the time but now when I'm done I unplug the freaking thing.

Bloody hell, my plug is behind a unit so hard to get to but this might explain why mine freezes sometimes, usually just as I'm about to bag 2000xp....ok maybe not that much :sick:

Mine never heats up and I've left mine on by accident all night. Still wasn't overly hot. Do you have a wii that's older than a year or so? There was a recall on the power plug cord due to it causing over heating. Even when the powers off it would keep power surging through the wii causing over heating. In stead of your wii turning red light it would stay orange. Mine is a newer wii so I didn't have to worry about it.

Mine never heats up and I've left mine on by accident all night. Still wasn't overly hot. Do you have a wii that's older than a year or so? There was a recall on the power plug cord due to it causing over heating. Even when the powers off it would keep power surging through the wii causing over heating. In stead of your wii turning red light it would stay orange. Mine is a newer wii so I didn't have to worry about it.

Holy S***! No kidding I had no idea. Yeah its definitely older than year Dont know because I bought it used. Freaking thing is hot ALL the time. Definitely some weird issues with the power switch too. Thanks a lot of the info

My basement is extremely cold. I don't have the freezing problems as much, but when it happens, it's usually on Mario Kart o_O

But I have a surge protector switch, so I turn it on when I use it, and back off at night.

Yela.. you are a diamond my friend :)

My Wii stays orange on standby (sometimes goes red?), I got a new Wii last year but left the old power supply on (too lazy to change it) I've just changed it and it's stayin red :)

Bloody hell, my plug is behind a unit so hard to get to but this might explain why mine freezes sometimes, usually just as I'm about to bag 2000xp....ok maybe not that much :sick:

Can you just disconnect the plug from back of the console? Tis what I do.

Haha Also Im colorblind so I cant even tell the difference between red and orange.

There was a recall on the power plug cord due to it causing over heating. Even when the powers off it would keep power surging through the wii causing over heating. In stead of your wii turning red light it would stay orange. Mine is a newer wii so I didn't have to worry about it.

I had no idea about this recall, and my Wii's an original '06, lmao. My Wii certainly did overheat back in the day.

But yeah, for all you Wii owners that have overheat problems, it is because your Wii is on StandBy. When the Wii is on standby, it's constantly attempting to get updates, news, etc. via Wii Connect 24, which is to say your internet connection. So, it's still working even when off. This isn't as rough on the Wii compared to if you left the system on playing a game all night, but constant work for any console will cause overheating.

Having Wii Connect 24 on is almost entirely redundant (having it on doesn't really do anything for ya, and having it off impacts nothing), can kill the Wii's overall life span, and for anyone who's a stickler of the electric bill, is definitely unnecessary power spent. But this can be turned off in an easy minute, simply by going to the Wii's option menu (the circle in the lower-left of the Wii's main menu, where all channels are displayed), finding the "Wii Connect 24" tab, clicking it and changing it from On to Off. You'll never need to fuss over unplugging the Wii again. For anyone who's got their outlets behind a mesh of wires and furniture like me, this is quite convenient. =)

Oh, and as confirmation the Wii is no longer on standby, the power button's light will change from Orange to Red when the console is off.

There was no recall.

As long as there is proper ventilation around your Wii, there is nothing to worry about.

Ok skippy, stick with your orange light and see how well that ventilation works. Cuz I just make this stuff up for giggles :)

Show me the recall.

I have a launch Wii with WiiConnect24 on the whole time. Still works great.

It's called WiiConnect24 because it's intended to be active 24 hours a day. It's designed to be on like that all the time.

Last edited:
Back