Wii Remaining #1 till 2011?

CantGetAWii

WiiChat Member
Dec 22, 2006
WiiChat
Wii Online Code
3099-0319-5478-2979
Sony's PS3 might be struggling to out-punch rivals Wii and Xbox 360 on shop shelves currently, but the next four years will see it biting Wii's heels.

A Screen Digest analysis of console trends has the ridiculously popular Wii out top by 2011 with around 75 million units worldwide, but it puts PS3 in a very, very close second place.

Xbox 360 by the same year, meanwhile, will have a 40 million worldwide unit penetration, leaving it looking longingly at rivals.

Wii is proving so popular this Christmas that Nintendo has reportedly been moved to pull adverts for the console and will replace them with ones for DS instead.

We'll see you back here in 2010 then to see who's right.

Source:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=177283

Bold statement for sure.
Who's to say really, if Nintendo can deliver their goods as well as improve on the third party support (which I feel they can by Christmas), this could end up happening.

balrogs.pa said:
right before the world ends. woot. :p
Lol, I want to see that movie, but yeah I hope the Wii's gunna be like that, or at least the 360, who cares about PS3?

lol i forgot about that 2012 conspiricay.. maybe the PS3 will beat the wii sales once everybody realizes they wont need money after 2012 and they blow it on ps3!

@Jake196: In 2008, It looks like The Wii and the Playstation 3 has all the games, Xbox has really only a few hit games left like Fable 2, and PGR and stuff.
Playstation 3 has Resistance 2, Killzone 2, Jak and Daxter, KINGDOM HEARTS 3

So It could be possible but no way the Playstation 3 Network can beat Xbox Live

On Topic

Hopefully the Wii will remain top this whole generation

Pikachu256 said:
@Jake196: In 2008, It looks like The Wii and the Playstation 3 has all the games, Xbox has really only a few hit games left like Fable 2, and PGR and stuff.
Playstation 3 has Resistance 2, Killzone 2, Jak and Daxter, KINGDOM HEARTS 3

So It could be possible but no way the Playstation 3 Network can beat Xbox Live

On Topic

Hopefully the Wii will remain top this whole generation
Kingdom hearts 3 was announced?

I thought they just announced that DS version with the funky name.

well I looked at those graphs, and for the PS3 to get close to hitting those numbers, it will have to start selling at more than triple its current monthly rate. Maybe they know something we don't know ($100 PS3 that loses all functionality but 1 controller and the ability to play games, lol)

No idea.

If Nintendo does their price drop and unit increase from the current production amount of 1.8 million Wiis a month to 3-4 million units a month, they could get such an insane lead that Sony and Microsoft would never catch up. I think 2008 will define the winner for this console wars. It's simply not going to shift around past that date. It's estimated that over 70 million consoles will sell end of 2008, that's around 50% of the last gen market total of 6 years summed up in 2 years. Which is astounding.

balrogs.pa said:
I wonder how the world will end. . . .

-Dude i just saw the trailer for the wii's newest console. VIRTUAL CONSOLE HELMET!!! HOW AWE- boom.
uhh, u know that's fake right? that trailer was released before the wii was lol

He's explaining how the universe might end. Someone's found out that the Virtual Console Helmet (Nintendo On) is Nintendo's next console and as he's telling his friend, the world blows up/dies/ends/finishes/apocalypses.

As for 70 million by the end of next year, that sounds about right to me.

In roughly 1 year the Wii has sold 15.81 million.
In roughly 1 year the PS3 has sold 6.94 million.
In roughly 2 years the 360 has sold 14.28 million which is 7.14 million per year.

The current standings are 37.03 million consoles sold. Going by the current rates, Another 15.81+6.94+7.14 = 29.99 million will be sold in another year. Altogether that's roughly 67.02 million by the end of next year. With price drops and more availability next year, I can see a good 15% increase in overall sales which leaves you with a total of 71.52 million.

Last edited:
balrogs.pa said:
I wonder how the world will end. . . .

I See a giant meteorite hitting us or all volcano's erupting all at once. shrouding our planet in a world in darkness for 100 years or more.

Back on topic: i can see Nintendo selling more then or around 40million by this summer or August of 2008. ps3 I'm guessing 12 to about 15million by August of 2008. And 360 Shadowing wii by about 35millon or more by August of 2008.

Back