Wii VC Hacked

StepOnfrog said:
Whoa! - :yikes: - If that's the method of your punishment, then the same could be said about starving children stealing food to feed their starving families. No, ifs; no, buts... your statement is basically 'steal, and you've committed rape!' In today's society, you can't just deal the populace a single brush to tar them with, if they all steal. Why has that person stole? Why is that child taking that? Does that person know that they're using pirated software bought from a dodgy shop and sold to them as a legitimate copy?

And, besides... does stealing mean that you should have your 'nads cut off? I'd only agree with that if means causing personal harm or injury, death, etc.

Stealing is stealing no matter how you look at it. A starving family stealing for food is still stealing. I'm not a cold hearted prick however, I can understand survival but by all means VC games aren't necessary for survival are they? lol

It's very nice how people from countries where the average salary is more than $1500 would like to make arguments about how illegal is for others to d/l software in countries where the average salary is $500 or less and the games might be even more expensive.
Of course don't want to make piracy seem legal, but there are lot of parameters for this problem to take into account when you want to make an argument.

fiveryanfrenzy said:
nintendo is a business providing us with a way to get and play these games, the price really isn't that bad for the hours you get out of it, why not just be honest and appreciate what they have done for us all these years?:confused:

I agree with ya there.. I mean if people don't pay.. Nintendo don't get money which ends up in loss of money for them in simple terms.. they aint gonna be able to keep making things like the wii if the moneys not there.. I know it probably wont come to that but like.. it's bound to make some effect.

iceblade said:
It's very nice how people from countries where the average salary is more than $1500 would like to make arguments about how illegal is for others to d/l software in countries where the average salary is $500 or less and the games might be even more expensive.
Of course don't want to make piracy seem legal, but there are lot of parameters for this problem to take into account when you want to make an argument.

It's somewhat simple though...if you can't afford it---you probably shouldn't have it. But yes there are wayyyy too many variables for any one person to be right about it. But they can also save their money for what they want just as I. Last year and for the past 4 years I made $18/hour USD and this year I'm only making $12, I realize I can't afford as much that doesnt give me the right to steal what I can't afford though.

all someone would have to is find out how to get free Wii points....
Probobly more complex than Im predicting it to be...

acphydro:

Good LORD boy! You just compared copyright violations to rape!
Let's be clear here, one is the grievous assault of another individual, the other is a civil violation of a revenue protection mechanism for a company.

Which brings me to another point, quit your loaded language, copyright violation is NOT theft, stealing, burglary etc, never has been and never will be no matter how much the riaa propagandists want to make it so.

stealing
n 1: the act of taking something from someone unlawfully; "the
thieving is awful at Kennedy International" [syn: larceny,
theft, thievery, thieving]

Note, to TAKE something from someone, you have to deprive them of it, copying something does not fit this bill, hence why copyright violations are a civil matter that you cannot be arrested or charged for, all that can be done is the copyright holder sues you for damages in civil court.

http://news.com.com/2100-1027_3-5181562.html <-- a little background reading.

You will find that nearly all people who would pirate something, would not have bought that thing in the first place, negating even the tenuous argument of big business that copyright violations hurt revenue.

I could go on for a long time however I'm at work and will leave it at that.. for now

Oh, Steel-Froggy i predict that to never happen and if it does will be fixed within a couple of hours, finance systems are notoriously secure.

I can't put a "whatever price I like" on something and call everyone who wants to get it at a lower price a thief. ppl will always whine yeah, but some things you just don't do. Put a vc game $5 and wii games $55-60 and you are shouting "hack me"! this applies not only to nintendo of course. As some previous guy said, put a more reasonable price and then less ppl would be interested in piracy. guys who can afford everything shouting "if you don't want it don't get it" are giving NO argument here (I'm not refferring to someone in particular, just an idea i got from the thread, might be wrong) . It's a "free market and I put whatever price I want and if you dont want dont buy it" is as ethical as piracy. because using this logic, nintendo could have the wii at $350 and still some people would say "What are you whining about the price, just don't buy it" though that would be reasonable whining.

Last edited:
Any one cheap enough to try and hack one of the VC games might as well just download an emulator and play for free. The only reason we don't is because it is convienient. Throw away some Wii points, sit on your ass for a few more hours. Convienience is the only reason they cost money, no one would pay for them otherwise. You can download any game you want on your computer, while on the Wii, you have to wait month by month for the games you love. Wii is only trying to help out, but unfortunately, getting that help has a price tag on it. If you don't want to pay, go help yourself, download a free emulator!

Treforza said:
Any one cheap enough to try and hack one of the VC games might as well just download an emulator and play for free. The only reason we don't is because it is convienient. Throw away some Wii points, sit on your ass for a few more hours. Convienience is the only reason they cost money, no one would pay for them otherwise. You can download any game you want on your computer, while on the Wii, you have to wait month by month for the games you love. Wii is only trying to help out, but unfortunately, getting that help has a price tag on it. If you don't want to pay, go help yourself, download a free emulator!

mmm. Actually I think you are right. At least as far as VC is concerned, I'm inclined to agree, now that you put it that way

Last edited:
Canumbler said:
acphydro:

Let's be clear here, one is the grievous assault of another individual, the other is a civil violation of a revenue protection mechanism for a company.

Which brings me to another point, quit your loaded language, copyright violation is NOT theft, stealing, burglary etc, never has been and never will be no matter how much the riaa propagandists want to make it so.

stealing
n 1: the act of taking something from someone unlawfully; "the
thieving is awful at Kennedy International" [syn: larceny,
theft, thievery, thieving]

Note, to TAKE something from someone, you have to deprive them of it, copying something does not fit this bill, hence why copyright violations are a civil matter that you cannot be arrested or charged for, all that can be done is the copyright holder sues you for damages in civil court.

http://news.com.com/2100-1027_3-5181562.html <-- a little background reading.

You will find that nearly all people who would pirate something, would not have bought that thing in the first place, negating even the tenuous argument of big business that copyright violations hurt revenue.

I could go on for a long time however I'm at work and will leave it at that.. for now

Oh, Steel-Froggy i predict that to never happen and if it does will be fixed within a couple of hours, finance systems are notoriously secure.

Exactly why I said an extreme analogy. Wasn't meant to be taken 100% seriously as there is little difference there. However stealing IS stealing. As a former pirate myself, I downloaded games upon their release and bought it if it was worth my hard earned money. The games that weren't worth it I tested out for a few hours and made a decision then removed the software from my computer. MOST pirates I know do so because the software costs a lot to a hard working person and not being able to fully try out a product before you buy it is BS especially when its just software. What happened to the good ole duke 3d days. Downloaded full game, bought if liked by using key to break shareware code. An educated guess would be 75% of people that steal software do so because they can't justify paying the insane amount of money to find out they can't return it if they dont like it or doesn't perform to their expectations.

Copyright violations are indeed not theft. Attaining the product without permission is however and thats what this is about. You claim people who attain the software anyhow most likely wouldnt buy it anyway is a loose statement. They aren't buying it because they can get away with stealing it outright at least for now and for the past 10+ years. That could change in the future. No one knows for sure. I'd also go on but I've been posting long replies all day and it's time for a break. I'll be ready for round 3 later tonight or tomorrow :D

There is a large difference between a loose analogy and a false one.

Yes, stealing is stealing, and piracy is piracy, the definitions do not merge and to pretend they do is ridiculous.

Attaining something without permission is not always theft, particularly in the case where you're copying that something, in which case it is not theft, as theft in all definitions requires the original owner to be deprived of what you "take".

I am yet to see a study that even shows a correlation between how much people pirate games and how much they spend on them, whereas I linked to one that says the opposite in my last post.

Last edited:
Canumbler said:
There is a large difference between a loose analogy and a false one.

Yes, stealing is stealing, and piracy is piracy, the definitions do not merge and to pretend they do is ridiculous.

Attaining something without permission is not always theft, particularly in the case where you're copying that something, in which case it is not theft, as theft in all definitions requires the original owner to be deprived of what you "take".

I am yet to see a study that even shows a correlation between how much people pirate games and how much they spend on them, whereas I linked to one that says the opposite in my last post.

That is exactly why I stated it was a loose analogy and not a false one. Posting completely false analogies is rather pointless. Regardless of definitions you have to think for yourself, not base your thinking on what government and law. It really doesn't matter how something is defined. If you go around spouting definitions its almost like you can't think for yourself.

Not always but in this case it is. If someone finds out how to download the VC games from Nintendo onto their Wii then Nintendo is deprived of what is taken and that is theft. Studies are just that. They only take into account the people that actually participated. They don't really prove anything or have a lot of merit. How many pirates do you know? If I know 3 and all 3 agree that they buy software that they deem worth it after being able try it out I don't have a right to say that all pirates are like that based on my study of those 3 people do I? Not at all. That's basically stereotyping in a form.

acphydro said:
That is exactly why I stated it was a loose analogy and not a false one. Posting completely false analogies is rather pointless. Regardless of definitions you have to think for yourself, not base your thinking on what government and law. It really doesn't matter how something is defined. If you go around spouting definitions its almost like you can't think for yourself.

Not always but in this case it is. If someone finds out how to download the VC games from Nintendo onto their Wii then Nintendo is deprived of what is taken and that is theft. Studies are just that. They only take into account the people that actually participated. They don't really prove anything or have a lot of merit. How many pirates do you know? If I know 3 and all 3 agree that they buy software that they deem worth it after being able try it out I don't have a right to say that all pirates are like that based on my study of those 3 people do I? Not at all. That's basically stereotyping in a form.

so uhhh.........anyone want to break into nintendo HQ this weekend?

come on..................it'll be fun

Deathmetalmaster said:
so uhhh.........anyone want to break into nintendo HQ this weekend?

come on..................it'll be fun

Sure we all like to have fun. I just wont take anything while I'm there. :nono:

Sorry. You rant on about an 'Extreme' analogy, yet in this post you are essentially defending your 'analogy' (tends to be more of a direct statement of you you belief, rather than analogy) with yet another statement...

acphydro said:
Stealing is stealing no matter how you look at it. A starving family stealing for food is still stealing. I'm not a cold hearted prick however, I can understand survival but by all means VC games aren't necessary for survival are they? lol

Pfft!

acphydro said:
I'll be ready for round 3 later tonight or tomorrow

You never finsished round 1 or 2, how can you be ready for round 3.? We're still waiting for a decent enough explaination to your blarb about stealing and rape, especially now that ...
Canumbler said:
... has given a more worded definition to your essential rant. :ciappa: All you replied to this was that you had previously posted...
acphydro said:
Now this is an EXTREME analogy or take on the subject.
... but, then returning to the original subject of this current post...
acphydro said:

...seems your argument is starting to run round in circles....

:frown2:

I can easily understand your need to crack the encryption on VC games... But, I really do shake my head <shakes head & frowns> at your sweeping statement RE: stealing & rape, especially when you try to disguise it as an analogy. <still not happy at your children stealing food = raping - rant>

Right, I'm off to my own forum to moan my 'nads off about this... <back shortly>

:D

Back