Wii Wrist Strap Statement

Haz said:
Personaly, I think that anybody who breaks something as a result of being a complete plonker with their Wii Remote, should have their Wii taken away from them and destroyed.

Why should it be destroyed :mad:

Has anyone here actually broken a wiimote? Nintendo is known for producing tough products and I've personally seen one of mine hit a low beam that runs across the ceiling by an over enthused friend playing tennis, but it works fine. The only difference is that it now has a battle scar and allows me to tell the remotes apart without the lights.

After a while playing, I can see how one can break their strap... yes, you do need tobe a moron and practically pitch the wiimote while the strap is connected to your hand. Scratch that practically, you NEED to pitch the remote at full strength. Forget slipping, its more on the lines of throwing it...

I say that anyone who has a broken strap get charged a fine; donate all proceeds to the Nintendo VIP Club to get the stars-for-wiiPoints program running ;)

Maybe its because the straps are too short, because if they were longer then there would be less wear around it if you know waht i mean

Why not put an idiot line on which is just anouther strap around the fixing so if one goes, the other one doesn't

People could just treat their wii with a bit of respect and there would be no problem, apart from the few people who get pissed on wii sports when that annoying pc person beats them at tennis

Do9ey said:
Why not put an idiot line on which is just anouther strap around the fixing so if one goes, the other one doesn't

Thats precisely the point... the strap IS an idiot line... You are NOT meant to be using it to hold the Wiimote, its an emergency olny IDIOT LINE just as you say. If your point it, why not put a second idiot line, then why not a third? Or a fourth? Where does one draw the line as to where a user is "too stupid" to use the console?

An easy way to make the idiot line 99% idiot proof is to simply purchase a set of handcuffs from any uhmm adult leisure store. Then grab a hammer and chisel to split the cuffs apart at the centre of the chain and use a key ring to attach each cuff to a wiimote. And yes these particular handcuffs don't actually need a key to be opened.

Bottom line. For $22 and 5-6 minutes of my time, I know my wiimotes won't be flying too far out of inexperienced hands.

Honestly what kind of a retard lets go of a controller hoping that a little string will hold on 2 it? And what person jumps into a fan or light... r u people all retarded... think beffore u act..

I found a link for online strap replacement for some of Europe at http://wiiportal.nintendo-europe.com/6315.html . The only problem for myself (and possibly other people in the UK or elsewhere) is that at the moment, they've limited the number of characters in the postcode area, and I cannot enter my full postcode.

There is absolutely no reason to do such large movements that the strap will break but the straps are thin and if you want to get a free strap(s) like i did do so no you don't need to send back the old ones nintendo didnt waist there time with this because they know that i would be a waist of thier and other peoples time and money.

This is not a recal in any means its a valentary strap replacement program its kinda like online updates they are optional but they fix problems.

i pulled my strap and it broke. did that for testing purposes. atm im using the wrist strap i got with my glove (looks cooler)

i dont use the strap wen i play zelda its not like i'm gonna get up and start swinging like crazy u just slightly move the remote and he swings :S dont know why people get over-excited! maybe wen i play boxing i put the strap on and go a little crazy, but i'm in control and grip the remote firmly, it's no big deal! my straps are fine dunno if that's because i'm aussie or not?

I heard about this a few days ago, and I agree with alot of you that only a complete retard would have managed to break the wrist strap. I mean, it's not like your just going to swing and let go of the remote. And why in the world would people be swinging so hard anyways. lol

Nintendo Sued Over Wiimote

Nintendo has finally received its first lawsuit against the Wii. The lawsuit accuses Nintendo of violating the Washington Consumer Protection Act by engaging in “unfair or deceptive practices” by telling consumers that the wrist strap was to keep the controller in control of the user and then providing a strap that was ineffective for the intended use. In addition, the lawsuit accuses Nintendo of a breach of warranty.

“As a result of the defective nature of the wrist strap on the Wii remote, plantiff’s wrist strap broke in his remote causing damage to the Wii product plaintiff purchased. The controller is an essential component of any video game console, and so plaintiff is unable to use the Wii for its intended purposes as a result of the broken wrist band. Accordingly, it renders the Wii console, which retails in the United States for $250, useless,” the suit reads.

Nintendo isn’t concerned about the lawsuit. “We believe the lawsuit to be completely without merit. Nintendo has a long tradition of delivering high-quality products and excellent customer service, and we take all reports from our customers seriously. At the time we became aware of the lawsuit, we had already taken appropriate steps to reinforce with consumers the proper use of the Wii Remote and had made stronger replacement wrist straps available. This suit has had no effect on those efforts,” Nintendo officially stated.

Back