Will the power of the PS3 & 360 out last the Wii ?

mushroomedmario said:
yeah sega, capcom and namco are showing more support for the wii, and it's just not because it's cheaper to develop, but because right now the wii looks like it's going to have more sales by the end of next year and developers want to ride the wii to moneysville

thats interesting, care to tell me how you figured that out? Just recently sega was critising the wii and praising the ps3.

heres a snipit

"I am a little concerned about the creative depth of the Wii pool" said Scott Steinberg, VP of marketing for Sega's US division. "I'm not sure if they will top out in 2008 or 2007. The Wii will start to look really dated in a couple years when developers get more value from the 360 and learn more and more about the PlayStation 3."

Namco has pretty much always been pro sony since the nintendo incident splitting sony and nintendo back in the day. They are using the PS3 Cell cpu now to power their next wave of arcade games.

Capcom is loyal really only to capcom, you fill find their bigger titles more aimed at the non wii platform where as the wii will have some of their other projects.

Last edited:
Shiftfallout said:
thats interesting, care to tell me how you figured that out? Just recently sega was critising the wii and praising the ps3.

heres a snipit

"I am a little concerned about the creative depth of the Wii pool" said Scott Steinberg, VP of marketing for Sega's US division. "I'm not sure if they will top out in 2008 or 2007. The Wii will start to look really dated in a couple years when developers get more value from the 360 and learn more and more about the PlayStation 3."

Namco has pretty much always been pro sony since the nintendo incident splitting sony and nintendo back in the day. They are using the PS3 Cell cpu now to power their next wave of arcade games.

Capcom is loyal really only to capcom, you fill find their bigger titles more aimed at the non wii platform where as the wii will have some of their other projects.

Their was thread that linked to some Japanese info site saying that Namco-Bandai and Sega were shifting their focus to the Wii. Personally I doubt its credibility with Sega's recent outspoken comments it does not seem logical but their have been rumors specualting that Namco-Bandai would focus more on multiplatform releases for a while now. Its no secret that several companies are starting casual games divisions and maybe that is the ultimate source of the story.

I don't even recall Capcom being mentioned in the article but since some of it was non translated and in Kanji I could be wrong but with their large success of Dead Rising and Lost Planet and new commitment of making their titles multiplatform I hardly doubt they would mainly focus on the wii.

also with the rising cost of game developement, the age of exclusives is slowly dwindling due to the fact that multiplatforming usually brings in more profit, though often at the expense of the quality of games.

But you are right in that the console market is becoming a breeding ground for the ultra casual gamers, some often refer to this as the dumbing down of games. Which is partially true, and sadly there is a larger portion of dumbed down gamers who like those dumbed down games as compared to the non-casual market, meaning a lot of titles are being lost to the PC market.

For example, microsoft bought out digital anvil when all digital anvil was trying to do was get a publisher, then it quickly forced them to alter a few of their PC titles so it would be xbox exclusives, then sold the rights for other projects to ubisoft for working on the consoles, then after all that dismantled the company. Microsoft is vicious in how they opperate, buy out and destroy. A lot of good PC games will never see the light of day, or if they do they will be altered for the casual gamer on the console platform. This is why we probably wont see another great game like Freelancer again.

Similar things happened at interplay where they all but destroyed Black Isle, famous for their Baldurs Gate series of RPGs. Probably the most amazing RPG to ever be created, aslo they are known for Fallout 1 and 2. Best sci fi rpg ever to be made, Bethesda (of Elderscroll Fame) is making Fallout3, and a fallout mmorpg is also in the works. (talked with the director if interplay, a bit trying to get a movie deal going, thats also in the works). But the point of this is that interplay fired all of the black isle staff and replaced them with console developers who made some creally crappy console only titles using the Baldurs Gate name, even though it was nothing more than a hack n slash. Even SOE's psp rpg was more detailed than that.

Same can be said when comparing the move from Morrowind to Oblivion. The sequel, Oblivion, was so much more simplified, dumbed down than Morrowind, it was sick. This was done for mass console appeal while sacrificing what made Morrowind great.

So there is money to be made in the casual gamer side of consoles, lets just hope it doesnt drown us though or else the games we get will be crap compared to what they [STRIKE]could[/STRIKE] should be.

Back