A Legend of Zelda Timline

Kedarshashi

Finally back with a Wii
Dec 29, 2006
New York
As you know hyrule was created by the three godesses as stated in OoT (Din, Nayru, Faror) and when they finished they left leaving the triforce the connection between hyrule and the sacred realm (where master swor lies)

Sages emerged from hyrule constructing temples to protect the mastersword and the triforce

then.. a war broke out of greed and lust in hyrul.... eventually the minish grew sick of the war and created the pircori sword that was given to Gustaf garbbed in green w/o a green hat(mentioned in minsh cap begining cut scene) who used this to stop this big war. He was dubbed hero of hyrule and made king of it so every 100 years they would worship it and hold a tournement to see who is the best swrdsmen and he would be able to touch it

This is all stated in minish cap and considered to be the earliest of all games
note the minish gave it 2 the hero of men not the hero of time he wore no hat and link at the begining of the story also wears no hat making him the very first link ever to be made

when ezlo returns 2 his original form and he is not links hat anymore he gives link a very own green hat

From here on every game execpt for majoras mask and minish cap include gannon having ocarina become the first no matter wat because they talk about the very beggining of gannon dorf a gerudo who searched for the triforce many years and gave up then eventually tricks the king into helping him

from here on things feel weird after the game and beating gannon there are 2 hyruls left one with adult zelda and no link because she wants him 2 have a childhood so she warps him back in time before they met

young link and young zelda

back in hyrul A zelda warns link about it and he leaves before war breaks out
so therefore he goes of in search of navi who is lost in the warp back at the end of the game so he goes of in search of her and winds up in termina

Majoras mask next

after he finishes that he atempts to return 2 hyrul via the sea and ends up being shipwreacked on koholint island where he has 2 fins the musical instruments wakes up the windwish and realizes it was all a dream so he ends up floating back 2 hyrul on a log (highly unprobable) and finds gannon has one the war

Links awakening after Majoras mask

soooo link duing his think collected up all his weapons and crud and deafeated gannon in his piggish form thus mking it thre orignal zelda for all men of hyrul had fled the turmoil and went north while link was till farther down south in hyrul zelda had taken the triforce of wisdom and broken it up making link have 2 search for all eight of em when he finds it he uses it 2 destroy gannon

original zelda after links awkening

many seasons after the original came zelda 2 where link finds about the real "legend" of zelda the king of hyruls son learned about such a tremendous power he wanted it so an evil wizard told him that his sister (zelda) knew about it so he put her in a deep sleep and overcome with such power he died in the process guitstricken the prince claimed that from now on every royal daughter shall be named zelda so the one that lies in the bed is the one and only zelda (remember that this is the not the same zelda as ocarina of time and minish capszelda they are all decendants this legend is supposed to have happend waaaay before minish cap so link only finds out about this vey late perhaps after a hthousand years and finds the triforce of courage and brings back zelda)

zelda II after original zelda

then fourswords happens amny way way way way way waylater when a new zelda and new link see that the picori sword is loose and vatti escapes so they defeat him

fourswordsafter zelda II

at the end o fourswrods u find out that the trapped gannon became vattii's puppet and set him free befor his demise giving him the trident of powert which was used on the super nintendo against link and zelda little later in a link 2 the past

link 2 the past after 4swords

then link goes 2 check on the triforce and is trapped in lybrinna (GBC oracle of Ages and is stuck there after killing of the person atempting 2 harness the power of time)

now after this this is the last generation of the hero of time and gannon takes over leading 2 wind waker a completely new link with a new generation of zelda and this link is th ehero of winds who had 2 resurect 2 triforce of courage and we all know that phantom hourglass is a sequal and unlesss int his game gannon is ressurected t fits into the timeline

after that game link goes 2 check ont he triforce again (diffrent time perios) and winds up in holodrum (GBC oracle of Seasons)

this is where i have been puzzled

may be twilight princess will fit in after link comes back in holodrum because after beating both games u realize that gannon is the master mind between the 2 games and the real hero of time died of because he wasnt able to reach gannon without mending the problems in holodrum when the hero of winds does this gannon is deafeated once more and link returns 2the normal world

twighligh princess has not been included because it is 2 new and this consits of older games sorry if your comfused (i gathered all this data from diffrent ppl) so it mostly my own with a bit from everybody

please comment

This is all nice but, a few things.

Windwaker = The Last Zelda, All of Hyrule is GONE and flooded. Anything based after this doesnt take place in or around Hyrule on the timeline.

Fourswords = Vati was GANONS puppet, not the other way around.

Twilight Princess = Hard to place, its probably a few centuries after OOT but BEFORE Windwaker. Since the original Hero of Time (Link from OOT) is a legend in Twilight Princess.)

other then that its pretty good, a nice blend of the games and alot of it makes decent sense. I like how you fitted in a few of the games (like Links Awakening is him crashed after finishing majoras mask, nicely done).

Kudos.

Actually almost all that timeline is real fake, Twilight Princess is 100 years after Ocarina of Time, in the game he is known has "Hero of Legend" also stated in wind waker. Wind Waker is after Twilight Princess, and Phantom hourglass is after Wind Waker.

Here is a TimeLine

The following is a list of the Nintendo-published games in order of their first release, with their release years (in brackets), along with any additional information about their placement in the timeline.

The Legend of Zelda (NES, FDS, GBA)
(Japan 1986, USA & Europe 1987)
This was the first game released in the series, though most of the games released since then seem to take place in earlier time periods. In this game, Ganon is already in his pig-like monster form. According to the instruction manual and the official website, shortly before the beginning of the game, Ganon broke free from the Dark World [10] and his army attacked Hyrule, stole the Triforce of Power and captured the ruling Princess Zelda, but not before she had time to break up and hide the Triforce of Wisdom.[11]

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (NES, FDS, GBA)
(Japan 1987, USA & Europe 1988)
The second Zelda game is a clear sequel to the first one. According to its instruction manual, it takes place "several seasons" after the first game and features the same Link but a different Zelda. Moreover, the story references Link's defeat of Ganon in the first game. The game's backstory also references an old legend of Hyrule. According to it, long ago, a prince of Hyrule should have inherited the Triforce after the king's death, but he only obtained part of it. Indeed, his sister, Princess Zelda, let him keep the Triforce of Power and the Triforce of Wisdom, but hid the Triforce of Courage. The prince and a magician questioned Zelda, but she refused to reveal the location of the last piece of the Triforce. In anger, the magician cast an eternal sleeping spell on Zelda, before dying himself. In grief, the prince ordered that all future girls of the royal family be named Zelda.[12] This Zelda is still asleep at the beginning of the game and is awakened by Link after he retrieves the Triforce of Courage at the end of the game. The events of this legend were never witnessed or mentioned in another game.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES, GBA Japan 1991, USA & Europe 1992)
This is the first of many Zelda games to have Hyrule's history told within the game. It is also the first game in which Ganon is referred to as "Ganondorf". By the time of this game, Ganon is in his pig-like form and sealed in the Golden Land with the Triforce. The game's instruction manual tells how the Triforce (all three pieces of it) was originally hidden in the Golden Land. One day long ago, it was found by Ganondorf the Thief, and it granted his evil wish for a monstrous army to attack Hyrule. While the Knights of Hyrule defended the land, the Seven Sages created a magic seal to lock off the Golden Land.[13] The game itself revolves around Ganon's ultimately successful attempt to break the Sages' seal. Princess Zelda alerts Link to this and Link goes on to find the Master Sword (its first named appearance in the series), then to defeat Ganon and reclaim the Triforce.

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (GB, GBC)
(Japan, USA & Europe 1993)
This game occurs soon after the events of A Link to the Past, according to the game's instruction manual. It states that Link left Hyrule on a journey of enlightenment after defeating Ganon.[14]

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64, GC)
(1998)
The setting of this game is the legend that served as backstory to A Link to the Past and The Wind Waker. At the beginning of the game, Ganondorf is human, and has not gained the Triforce. As the game progresses, Ganondorf finds his way into the Sacred Realm and finds the Triforce, but because his heart is not balanced, he causes the Triforce to become divided in three pieces - the Triforce of Power, the Triforce of Wisdom, and the Triforce of Courage. Ganondorf uses the Triforce of Power to lead an invasion of Hyrule, but Link stops him and the Seven Sages seal him in the Sacred Realm. The final scene of the game leads into Majora's Mask.

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64, GC)
(2000)
This game takes place very shortly after the events of Ocarina of Time, and stars the same Link after returning to his youth, according to the in-game story.

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (GBC)
(2001)
These games are connected via a password system and one takes place immediately after the other. They can be played and regarded in either order. Dialogue suggests that this particular Link and Princess Zelda featured in these games meet for the first time during the adventure. The Twinrova sisters from Ocarina of Time appear in these games and plot to resurrect Ganon.

The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords (GBA)
(2002)
The versions of Link and Princess Zelda featured in this game are childhood friends.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (GC)
(Japan 2002, USA & Europe 2003)
This game takes place hundreds of years after Ocarina of Time, and some time after Twilight Princess (according to a Miyamoto interview.[citation needed]). Hyrule has been lost for hundreds of years and now all that remains of its civilization are a few scattered islands on the Great Sea. Half way through Wind Waker, the Link and Zelda from this game discover they are the reincarnations (or decendents) of their counterparts in the old kingdom.

The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures (GC)
(2004)
This game takes place an unspecified amount of time after the events of Four Swords. It includes some background information about Ganon. Early in the game, he is called Ganondorf (and has his human form) before obtaining his trident and becoming the pig-like monster Ganon.

The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (GBA)
(Japan & Europe 2004, USA 2005)
This game takes place long before Four Swords and Four Swords Adventures. It involves the origins of the namesake weapon of the aforementioned games, the Four Sword, as well as Vaati, their primary antagonist. No mention of Ganon is made but Link and Zelda are childhood friends as well.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii, GC)
(2006)
This game takes place decades after Ocarina of Time, and prior to The Wind Waker, according to a Miyamoto interview. After becoming Ganon the pig, Ganondorf returns to his human form.

The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (DS)
(2007)
This game has yet to be released, but Nintendo has confirmed that it takes place directly after The Wind Waker and will star the same Link.

The Legend of Zelda (Wii) (Wii)
(TBA)
This is the tentative name for the upcoming entry in the series, developed exclusively for the Wii. In an interview at E³ 2005, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess director Eiji Aonuma stated that he was assigned by Nintendo president Satoru Iwata to create a Zelda game for the upcoming platform.[1] It was later reported in the "Loose Talk" gossip column in the December 2006 issue of Game Informer that the next installment after Twilight Princess had been in deep development for approximately a year.[2]

The creators maintain that the series has a set timeline, but due to the poor translation protocols in the 1990s and debate over what counts as "canonical" material, the available information continues to be disputed. Eiji Aonuma has since promised he will do his best to patch it all up and reveal the timeline someday[citation needed], and Miyamoto stated in a 2003 interview that there is a master document containing the timeline, but this document has not been seen publicly.

Manny21 said:
Actually almost all that timeline is real fake, Twilight Princess is 100 years after Ocarina of Time, in the game he is known has "Hero of Legend" also stated in wind waker. Wind Waker is after Twilight Princess, and Phantom hourglass is after Wind Waker.

Here is a TimeLine

well then that means that ww isnt the last Zelda....YES!
the whole minish cap zelda should have been made on a console considering it is the first zelda in the time line making it important to the series

Oho, Kedar you got owned. It's OK though, you might need some more fact about TP, frankly because YOU DON'T HAVE IT.

Nintendocam said:
Oho, Kedar you got owned. It's OK though, you might need some more fact about TP, frankly because YOU DON'T HAVE IT.

meh at least he took the time to write it......right

Last edited:
thanx for backing me up joe lota u dont realize the games that i wasnt positive about you are complaining about

i know that phantom hourglass come right after windwaker no doubt about it

i know that the oracle games need to be spread out between 2 diff links because u realize he goes 2 the temple ia diffrent routes

and twighlight princess is 2 new to be completely sure

phantom hourglass is the sam e at least we know its a sequal

andi mde the mistake

it was vatii gave gannon the trident of power before link 2 the past

Manny21 said:

Here is a TimeLine

look man i know its fake and all but look in order 2 link them 2gether u got 2 use logic for that so u cant expect it 2 be real and my only real source was intros and outrs of every zelda game

and BTW cam at least i have playe =d every zelda game and beaten rioght up 2 the nes one

Alright, here's my timeline theory. Brace yourselves, it's long and there will be spoilers.

I should add that I don't really believe Nintendo have any idea about the timeline, essentially what this is just my attempt to link the games in some sort of way. Some of it is based partly on a timeline theory on this web site: http://www.n-sider.com/articleview.php?articleid=248&page=1

I reckon that Link, Zelda and Ganondorf are all being constantly reincarnated through time, and I have used Roman numerals to distinguish between each incarnation of Link, Zelda and Ganondorf (e.g. Link I, Link II, etc.). The Oracles and Four Swords games were hardest to place, and I'm not entirely with where I ended up putting them. Anyway, here goes:

Beginning:

As told in Ocarina of Time, Hyrule was created by the Three Goddesses. After this was done, the Triforce was left behind. It had the ability to bestow great power on a person, but only if they were balanced in terms of courage, strength, and wisdom.

Link I (The Minish Cap):

This Triforce eventually came into possession of Hyrule's King. A Picori sorcerer, known as Vaati, learned of the existence of this great object, and decided to try and take it. Every year in Hyrule a swordfighting competition was held to celebrate the Picori's aid to the people of Hyrule. Vaati entered the tournament and won, but then he broke the Picori Blade and turned the King's daughter (Zelda I) into stone. Zelda I's childhood friend Link I set out on a quest to save her and restore the Picori Blade, with the aid of a Picori named Ezlo. Link I restored the blade to its former glory, and it became the Four Sword. He managed to rescue the Princess and save the day.

Backstory:

After the King died, the Triforce was passed onto his son, but when he tried to claim it, he found he could not. With the help of an unscrupulous magician, he questioned his sister, Zelda I. She refused to tell them anything, so the magician cast an eternal sleep spell over her. The Prince came to regret what he had done, and decreed that from now on, all royal princesses would be called Zelda. He also decided that it was too dangerous to keep the Triforce around, so it was moved to the Sacred Realm. Access to this realm was controlled by the Temple of Time, which also housed a new weapon, the Master Sword. A sage named Rauru was left to guard the Sacred Realm. That didn't stop some people trying to claim the Triforce though. At least one group of magicians managed to get into the Sacred Realm, but they were stopped by the Goddesses and sent to another world known as the Twilight Realm. Their descendants became the Twili, and access to this other Realm was controlled by the Mirror of Twilight.

Link II (Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Four Swords):

In the Gerudo Desert, a powerful new King of the Gerudo had come to power, Ganondorf I. He set about invading Hyrule and trying to gain access the Sacred Realm using very powerful magic. Ganondorf had the power to enter the Sacred Realm using his own magic, and tried to prevent anyone gaining the three keys to the Temple of Time. The Great Deku Tree was guardian of one these keys, and he sent one of the children in his care, Link II, on a daring quest to stop Ganondorf. Link collected the three keys to the Temple of Time, gained the Master Sword, but was sent to the future by Rauru, who believed he was too young to fight Ganondorf. In the future, Ganondorf had gained control of the Triforce of Power, but because he lacked the virtues of wisdom and courage, those Triforces did not go to him, but instead they went to Zelda and Link. It was with this that the three became linked: the three of them would have their "essence" (souls?) constantly reincarnated through the ages by the power of the Triforce. Eventually, after awakening six sages (one from each major race: Saria, Darunia, Ruto, Nabooru, Impa, and Zelda), Link managed to defeat Ganondorf and seal him in the Sacred Realm. After this, Zelda decided to give Link his lost years back, and sent him back to his childhood. Shortly afterward Link set out on a journey leading to the events of Majora's Mask. After that, Link returned to Hyrule, where Vaati had returned. Again, he was stopped by Link II in Four Swords.

Link III (A Link to the Past, Oracle of Seasons/Oracle of Ages, Four Swords Adventures, Link's Awakening):

Generations passed, and eventually the Temple of Time was forgotten about after Hyrule Castle was moved (due to the Lost Woods overgrowing). Ganondorf I was still in the Sacred Realm, which had now become the Dark World due to his influence. A wizard known as Agahnim was trying to help Ganondorf escape the Dark World, so a new Hero, Link III set out to stop him after hearing telepathic messages from Zelda III. Link III traveled to the Dark World and finally killed Ganondorf I. Both the Light and Dark Worlds were restored. However, all was not well, as Ganondorf's mother(s) Twinrova was trying to revive him. The Triforce sent Link III to the parallel worlds of Labryna and Holodrum, where Twinrova was trying to sacrifice Zelda III in order to bring Ganondorf back to life. After Link saved her, they sacrificed themselves instead, bringing back Ganondorf, who was again killed by Link. However, it did not matter as Ganondorf, like Link and Zelda, was linked to the Triforce, and was reincarnated as Ganondorf II, (I think that Ganondorf, unlike Link or Zelda is aware of his previous lives), attempts to again destroy Hyrule with the help of Vaati, but he is again stopped by Link and sealed in the Four Sword. Link handed the Four Sword over to the Seven Sages who decided to seal him in the Twilight Realm. Some time afterward, Link set off on a journey of enlightenment, leading to the events of Link's Awakening.

Link IV (Twilight Princess):

In the Twilight Realm there was a war of succession raging between two claimants to the throne: Midna and Zant. Ganondorf II decided to make an alliance with Zant, and lent him some of his power to defeat Midna. In return Ganondorf asked that Zant help him invade Hyrule, so Zant turned the Twili into a race of mindless shadow monsters, and stopped Midna by turning her into an imp. But she found help in the form of Link IV, who she knew was a Hero because he turned into a wolf upon entering the Twilight Realm. Together the two of them killed Zant and Ganondorf II.

Link V (Legend of Zelda, The Adventure of Link):

At some time before the original Legend of Zelda game, Link, Zelda and Ganondorf were revived as Link V, Zelda V, and Ganondorf III. Ganondorf once again invaded Hyrule and Link set out to stop him, after collecting the pieces of the Triforce that Zelda had managed to fragment. Link killed Ganondorf, but some time later Link set out on another journey to awaken the sleeping princess, Zelda I.

Link VI (The Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass):

Once more Ganondorf was revived as Ganondorf IV, and who would of guessed it, he tries to invade Hyrule. But this time, instead of a Hero being sent to stop him, the land was flooded almost completely, leaving only the highest mountains left above the sea as small islands scattered across "the Great Sea". Hyrule was sealed away and trapped in time, the reasoning being that as long as there is a Hyrule, Ganondorf will always try to control it. But somehow Ganondorf managed to escape the seal and only a new Link, Link VI, could stop him, with some help from Tetra (unaware that she was in fact Zelda VI) and the King of Red Lions (a talking boat, under the control of the King of Hyrule). Link VI once more defeated Ganondorf, and he and Tetra then set sail to other lands, and to whatever happens in Phantom Hourglass.

Phew, that took a while to write! :)

Last edited:
and BTW cam at least i have playe =d every zelda game and beaten rioght up 2 the nes one

WHAT?!?!?! Dude what grade are you in ?

And yes i have played almost all of Zelda games.

Napalmbrain your timeline is way better, and its more understanding and also makes Sense.

Here is the order of the games

The Minish Cap - Ocarina of Time - Majora's Mask - A Link to the Past - Link's Awakening - Legend of Zelda - Adventure of Link- Oracle of Ages - Oracle of Seasons (CHILD TIMELINE)

Ocarina of Time - Twilight Princess - TBA ZELDA GAME FOR WII - Wind Waker - Phantom Hourglass (ADULT TIMELINE)

Last edited:
Back