Brawl online play rankings

Paulpro said:
There are not world ranking only rankings amongst your friends. I think the ranking system should be based on who you win against not just wins and loses. For instance, You are ranked 100 000th and you beat someone ranked 200 000th your rank would hardly go up but if you are ranked 200 000th and you beat someone ranked 100 000th then your rank would go up majorily

I don't think that would be a very appropriate means of ranking.

I think a ranking system would be nice. Come on guys, we all know it's about who has the bigger "you know what". That's why people get the Mustang instead of the Mini-Van. That's why I spent $500 extra dollars the other day so my full stack amp would say Marshall on it instead of a good off brand. That's why people want to win. They want others to know how good they are. It feels good to win. I doubt it seriously that if there was a well deisgned ranking system you wouldn't click on "anyone". I would, and the first time I'd win, I'd play again, and I'd probably just keep going to see how well I'd do until next thing I know, it's a habbit and a goal to get in maybe the top 1000 players in the world. Pretty rediculous but I'm sure everyone here would do it too. I don't think women would have the same problem but most men. That's why I keep playing BF2, I just want the next rank, so people will see me and say, well hell, he must be good. It's a sickness I can not defeat.

edit:

GigaOni said:
Okay, let me go ahead and explain a few things that don't make sense and make these "World Rankings" or whatever the hell a huge pain. You shouldn't base the rankings on a Win : Lose ratio because there's many ways you can corrupt it therefore, you should put it by a point standard. Points can be earned by causing damage to the player, kills, Final Smashes [from what I've read they're actually quite hard to get], and wins. Wins do contribute to the player's points but, they aren't the only way to achieve them. I think this is the best way in going about making the "World rankings". I think also that they could give you points for doing certain things during battles that are not so easy to get.. maybe.. double kills?

Yes, it sounds a lot like Halo and Gears of Wars rankings but, they do have the best ranking system for a reason.

Remember there was a mode that gave you points for your fighting style. Things such as having all Air Attacks, or never leaving the ground, you guys know what I'm talking about. It could be based off of something like that. I would like that, it wouldn't be about just winning or loosing, this would assist in bullcrap like when you fall off accidentally and die

Last edited:
What a boring thread.

Doesn't matter how much you guys wish for such or such feature to appear in SSBB, it will be as it will.

Anyway if you want competition that hardcore, go play a match or two of Charged, you'll be satisfied trust me. This damn game conducts heat through the Wiimote :)

Ablaze said:
What a boring thread.

Doesn't matter how much you guys wish for such or such feature to appear in SSBB, it will be as it will.

Anyway if you want competition that hardcore, go play a match or two of Charged, you'll be satisfied trust me. This damn game conducts heat through the Wiimote :)
true.

but really guys think about it. if there was a ranking system people would quit the match before its over. 99% of ur matches would be cut off bevause of quiters. and, without a ranking system, we would have no worries, since...well... there would be no ranking. like sakurai said, we can just sit back and relax. now, would you rather play:
1. worrying about your ranking or worrying because someone past you up in rank

or

2. play carefree with no worries and if u lose, it's an "oh well"- type matter?

Shoko said:
true.

but really guys think about it. if there was a ranking system people would quit the match before its over. 99% of ur matches would be cut off bevause of quiters. and, without a ranking system, we would have no worries, since...well... there would be no ranking. like sakurai said, we can just sit back and relax. now, would you rather play:
1. worrying about your ranking or worrying because someone past you up in rank

or

2. play carefree with no worries and if u lose, it's an "oh well"- type matter?

It's not going to be a carefree fun match after about a year it will be a bunch of poeple with mod chips battling 4 year olds that have no idea what is going on... Can people not see that the game will become out of control without ranks and a suspension/banning system...

^Again, thats why you get friends to play with, and don't click the 'with others' button. You'll also be ranked if you do this, so you're hitting two birds with one stone

The equation isn't that hard to figure out.

That's exactly my point... That's why they should make the with anyone button more like the with friends button and give it rankings ect... So that it's not a COMPLETE waste of there time and people actually use it...

You're joking, right? That is the one and only reason why I do not play Strikers anymore. Strikers is a fantastic game, and guess what "ZOMG IT HAS TEH RANKINGZ!" You know what else? Every other game someone disconnects.

Do you really want Brawl to be ruined? Nintendo knows what they're doing, you obviously don't.

So you WANT them to make a with anyone button that you are never going to use?

I don't WANT to use it. If you would take the time to read my posts, you would know that I will never run out of people to play with. Brawl is a PARTY GAME. Throwing Online Mode in there isn't going to come close to changing that.

I'm just saying if they are going to make it they should make it so that people will actually play it a year from now... and if they make it without ranks and a match system then anyone wil be matched with anyone so a 5 year old playing the game for the first time could end up playing a 18 year old with a mod chip that cheats the whole time... If there were rankings you would be matched with people around your level so you wouldn't have to worry about this.

Stop being so self centered and think about other people maybe Some people actually DO want to use that button

Lol, I'm self centered now.

First of all, your argument about 'making a game that will be playable a year from now' is nothing short of ridiculous. I still play melee on a regular basis, as do many others.

I would much rather play random Brawlers than play Brawler's on my level that disconnect every single match. You don't own Mario Strikers, do you? Its impossible to get a good game in unless you're playing with friends.

I play on melee all the time... I don't know what your point is

^Your point was: Rankings=Low Replay Value

I was disproving that point.

Melee is 5 years old, and people are still playing it even though it had no online functions. Online and rankings isn't the base of a well made game.

Last edited:
LevesqueIsKing said:
Lol, I'm self centered now.

First of all, your argument about 'making a game that will be playable a year from now' is nothing short of ridiculous. I still play melee on a regular basis, as do many others.

I would much rather play random Brawlers than play Brawler's on my level that disconnect every single match. You don't own Mario Strikers, do you? Its impossible to get a good game in unless you're playing with friends.

I play melee all the time, I don't know what your point is...:scared:

but if you read what I said about them stopping that by making disconnects count as loses or what I put in the other thread counting as two loses it would stop all of that...

Mario strikers doesn't match by rank and location...

If the battles were matched by location and rank matches disconnects would be a rare occurence:smilewinkgrin:

Back