grabs and combos

spiff-ssbb

WiiChat Member
Jan 23, 2008
Wii Online Code
8140-2366-3149-0356
its clear that the creators wanted to nerf the dreaded chain grabs and to an extent, limit the grab combos that found a home in every melee MLG event. knockback seems higher with every normaly spammed combo grab and hit stun seems to always wear off before the combos that were once common place can be started. i havent played the game but from the looks of things all chain grabs are a thing of the past... the automatic ones anyways
ex: marth's up throw
sheik's down throw
IC downthrow down air with nana
all are nerfed.
but some of the combo's seem to have gotten better... marth's back throw f smash seems to tipper alot more and sheik seems to have wicked combo ability out of her f throw with her 'nerfed' f air. so although chain grabs and shffls seem to be a thing of the past, to me it seems combos are still the name of the game. they have not been completely nerfed as some had feared but tweaked and altered to add variation. these are my thoughts on these things. anyone else?

As I've been watching the professional brawl videos, I noticed what I consider to be a MAJOR positive change in strategy. With many of the old moves taken away (like chain-grabs and wavedashing) players must use what the game was SUPPOSED to give them, instead of taking advantage of glitches. Plus, the slow weakening of spammed attacks gets people to mix it up and makes people try new strategies. This also makes mastering a character not simply using their strongest move repeatedly, but instead doing what was originally intended: Mix up your arsenal and save finishers for last.

this is true. although they tried to do that in melee also. but only percentage was effected by the spam not the hitback. and yes. mindgames are huge now... not that they weren't in melee but they seem even bigger now than knowledge of the character

Back