How do you view post counts?

Well like others have said, many of the new people, are very good posters and contribute very well to discussions without spamming etc. They know the rules, and want to enjoy their time here, which I love to see.

The only thing with people and high post counts that I really tend to notice, is new posters seek them for help, which makes sense no doubt. However I feel everyone can contribute and help despite their post count, its more of wanting to be a good member etc. Attitude is also big, many people sometimes do not help others, which I don't get. I can understand them not helping if they don't know, but I have witnessed a few times, people putting others down because their problem is "dumb". Anyways I am rambling here, but overall despite the few points I made about how high post count helps, I don't feel it really matters that much.

If someone could make a list of great new posters that came here in August I would like to see it, I forgot a few of them that I really liked :lol:

Personally I don't think any of it matters, if you help with a topic, great, thank you. I mean there are those who actually try to help, and those people should be thanked, but I see no reason for the rep meter or whatever you guys call it, its like everybody is asking for it now, I don't really get it. Its like asking for a pat on the back, come on now.

AndThen? said:
Post count is only important because people want to be remembered.
I'd rather be respected than remembered.

I agree, but when people are asking for it, what is the point? If you deserve it they will rep you, if they don't know how or what rep is they'll thank you, either way you're getting respect.

^A very wise post and a detail that few people understand.

As soon as a rep system is put into place, all courtesy gets thrown out the window. Do you know why? Because rep is a competition. No matter what you say, it will always be a competition. Anything that you can keep track of is a competition.
Most people would much rather be Repd then being thanked, and I think that is pathetic. As soon as a rep system begins, all thank you's slowly but surely begin to be overlooked, unacknowledged. All that rep accomplishes is a fake sense of respect. True respect is found by making worth-while posts and giving others respect when it is due, and that is done with courtesy, not by clicking the rep button next to a persons name.

LevesqueIsKing said:
^A very wise post and a detail that few people understand.

As soon as a rep system is put into place, all courtesy gets thrown out the window. Do you know why? Because rep is a competition. No matter what you say, it will always be a competition. Anything that you can keep track of is a competition.
Most people would much rather be Repd then being thanked, and I think that is pathetic. As soon as a rep system begins, all thank you's slowly but surely begin to be overlooked, unacknowledged. All that rep accomplishes is a fake sense of respect. True respect is found by making worth-while posts and giving others respect when it is due, and that is done with courtesy, not by clicking the rep button next to a persons name.

Thanks for making me feel like I'm not out here on a limb by myself. I agree that it has become a competition, and I don't understand why, its just little green boxes under your username. You shouldn't need them to feel good about yourself, and it seems like some users will, like you said overlook your posts if you don't have a lot of green bars, I mean come on now, but the majority of members on this site are youngsters and I think they need self confidence boosts and possibly that is one way they realize that.

I haven't seen the rep system on any other forums I've been on. I'm undecided as to whether I like it or not. One argument is the one you just posed, but another is that there would be too many comments like "good post" or "thank you for that contribution". I try to treat rep as a type of courtesy.

Then again, I'm a newb and I haven't witnessed much of this "fake respect".

But anyway, this thread is about post count, not rep; so:

[/offtopic]

Don't really care about high post count or rep. AndThen? even though you only have one green block I know you're a worthy poster (even though you're a Port Adelaide fan ;) ). Hence I think someone shouldn't be prematurely judged by their post count or reputation level.

AndThen? said:
I haven't seen the rep system on any other forums I've been on. I'm undecided as to whether I like it or not. One argument is the one you just posed, but another is that there would be too many comments like "good post" or "thank you for that contribution". I try to treat rep as a type of courtesy.

[/offtopic]

It really isn't that far off topic if at all, I mean you can look at it this way, if you see a member's post who has say 1100 posts and 1 little green box versus another member's post who has the same 1100 posts and 5 green boxes, but has "rep me and I will rep you back" (I've actually seen that one) in their signature who are you more likely to believe? Also it hasn't been brought up, but unless I've read posts that are credible/helpful/accurate by members who haven't been members for very long I tend to believe the more "veteran" member over the "noob" so what I'm trying to get at is there are a lot of factors to take into account, I just think the rep meter is just OK. If used right it can be a very good thing, but when people use it as an avenue for competition it just becomes worthless. I see no problem with someone saying thank you, but everyone has their own position on the subject.

ZOMG my rep and posts pwn all of your's!!!!!!:crazy:

But seriously, a poster should not be judged over a number of posts or reputation, yes you are more likely to seek one for help as if they have a high count and a high rep it normally means they are helpful and know quite a bit about the forum. A person should not be judged by either but if you do need help and dont know anyone it is most likely you will go to a high poster.

AndThen? said:

[/offtopic]
you have no idea how many times I've been repped only to see a message that simply says "rep back"

That pisses me off.

LevesqueIsKing said:
you have no idea how many times I've been repped only to see a message that simply says "rep back"

That pisses me off.

Did I do that? :lol:
If I did I apologize.

i like to be called a
whacky024.gif
(newbie)
not a n00b

Back