How to stop: SPAM/FLAMING ON FORUMS

mr_resi said:
2nd thread in my how to stop series: How to stop spam on forums.

Well the real answer here may be just to appoint more moderators (i will give my sugesstions later), there are other ways we can prevent spam, off topic posting, and flamin/ranting without appointing to many more mods here we go:

1. Send an email to users that have not been active for more than 6 months that their account will be deleted if they do not return. Coding wise, this seems awfully simple and could be done by master programmers in a matter of minutes.
That wouldn't help with spam or flaming.

2.Make a 1 account per I/P rule (This is going to be debated i just know it)
Not fair to people who have to share a computer.

3. Yes, of course, appoint more mods. My personal suggestions would be :Brawny, SSBB_lover, and not to toot my own horn but...
I agree, we need more mods.

4. Get rid of the rep system. Lately rep level is just the number of times youve spam posted the words "give me rep'.
I don't really have any strong feelings toward this. I do wish we still had negative rep though.

5. Better abuseive post reporting. IMO there should be a rule that if a post is reported abusive by 3 different people it should atoumaticly be deleted.
Good idea, but if we had a system like this and people knew of it, it would probably be abused.

6.Increase punishment for spamming. IMO another three stikes your out rule should be applied here.
Punishment should vary depending on the offense.

.MAKE THE SEARCH BOX BIGGER!!Its not exactly to visible were it is. Im thinking aomwhere just above or below the wiichat logo.
I doubt it would make much of a difference.

8. Ban before they spam. If someone has a name like "Robrobrobrobpooo", email them saying a name change will be neccesary or they will ve banned.
Stupid idea, as names mean nothing, and it would take far too much effort to evaluate every persons name.

9. if i need to say "IBTL" on a thread, it needs to be locked. No more stupid threads like "Ofiicial cillit bang discussion" (no offence lee)
As long as they are in the lounge I have no problem with threads like that. If you don't like them then don't open them.

And that IMO is how we can make less spam.

Byuakuya said:
Nicely done. But, like some of the members have said, you can't ban members simply because of their weird User-names. It brings up that saying:
"Never judge a book by its cover."
Some members are more decent than their User-names allow us to believe.
Other than that, its a great piece.

You can always judge a book by its cover. - Books are as cliche'd as anything else these days. I can spot a cheesy sci-fi/fantasy novel - or teen buffy-esque book series a mile away. Also if a celebs face is on the front you know that its going to be cr*p... :crazy:

Back on topic though...

There is no way of stopping spam outright. Just live and let live, ignore it.

As for neg rep - We already have it. Mods can neg rep you (believe me I know :thumbsup:)

Great thread! Yes this is a tame forum and lets keep it that way by laying down the law. If you are not a offender you will have nothing to worry about.

The Rep is stupid to start with. I never use it as it seems to be just a kiddies contest to get the most rep by harrassing others that gets you what??

Signatures should be monitored too for name calling and general rudeness. Can't we all just get along?

Signatures should be monitored too for name calling and general rudeness. Can't we all just get along?

I'm pretty sure if a mod sees a rude or offensive signature he/she will remove it without hesitation or ban the member.. Just depends on what the user has put into his/her signature. Another way to help out is by reporting people who have rude or offensive signatures.

::bangs head on desk::

they dont make a big enough pill for this forum somtimes. dont cha notice how when i delete spam and crap in threads?????? gahhhhh :incazzato:

Battles said:
Wtf?

i think Neg rep should come back

those dam pokenoobs need it...lol..
Or altrntivly

I0n opens a pokemon site and tells them to fu(k off there

There pokefans
They make there own up

The_Loose_Cannon said:
::bangs head on desk::

they dont make a big enough pill for this forum somtimes. dont cha notice how when i delete spam and crap in threads?????? gahhhhh :incazzato:

WOW!:yikes: Even TLC is giving feedback! The only other i thing i could hope for now is i0n posting here!

Another Solution... BAN EVERYONE!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

No, That Wouldn't Work.... Yeah.. Make The Search Box Bigger... Definitely...

I think the mods are doing a great job, there was a bit of a flame assault in this thread before that has been cleared out by a mod. I don't think we need anymore mods at the moment, but an extra one or two wouldn't hurt.

Last edited:
Hay wii where messing round

You have a normal sized face

Back