Is this cheating or not?

geekbro27

WiiChat Member
Mar 25, 2008
To go along with the baseball issues with use of steroids and how to record their stats, my friends and I have a debate with a 300 score in Wii bowling. The person in question obtained this score by resetting the game every time he missed a strike. There is a debate whether or not his score should be 300 or 300*, to show that he used unfair methods to be "perfect". My group of friends are split with our decision and your opinion will help determine the outcome. Thanks in advance for the help.

I think it cheapens the experience by resetting. But in order to gain a perfect 300, there's really no "cheating" involved. You still have to get all strikes, and he did so, eventually, right?

While I think people who "reset" are punks, I still say bravo for getting a perfect score. lol :yesnod:

It's not cheating, as cRaSh115 stated because they still needed to get those strikes regardless. Another example would be Final Fantasy XII. The chests in the game are random, and they hold random stuff. To get the best items, you may need to reset the game a bunch of times to get them.

Steroids is a different subject altogether. To make the competition easier by taking the easy (and illegal) path is immoral. It's cheating and should not be condoned by everyone in pro sports.

thanks for your opinion, but you said that using steroids is taking the easy way, isn't reseting taking the easy way out too?

True, but they only way to get 300 is to actually get those strikes. Now, if there was a way to make yourself get it (like holding buttons 1 and 2 at the same time while in the throwing mode, which of course isn't true at all), then yes, that's considered cheating.

Think about it this way, what if you had to keep turning off the wii every time you reached the third or fourth frame because of real life getting in the way (example: chores, work, family, friends)? All this is doing is just helping you practice your skills and you'll just get better over time.

For steroids, you just give yourself the drug and it does the work for you (building muscle). Basically think of it as a game genie to your games.

no because u still need to make all the strikes... instead of playing the game finish and the restart u just restart immediately :p

geekbro27 said:
To go along with the baseball issues with use of steroids and how to record their stats, my friends and I have a debate with a 300 score in Wii bowling. The person in question obtained this score by resetting the game every time he missed a strike. There is a debate whether or not his score should be 300 or 300*, to show that he used unfair methods to be "perfect". My group of friends are split with our decision and your opinion will help determine the outcome. Thanks in advance for the help.
Hi,

I think that it isn't a fair way to play the game. Would you be able to do that at a bowling alley? No way!

I am new at using the wii online. Can you bowl with other players online? I am presuming that is what you are referring to. Thank you for your help in advance.

Digitals Bev

Yes, it's cheating. Part of the game is being able to pull off an accomplishment consistently throughout the course of a game. You can't cherry-pick good bowls and then combine them into a "game" of your choosing and be like, "lalala there's my score! I rule!"

If I hit 1 home run a year for 5 years, that's not the same as hitting 5 in one baseball game.

It's not cheating. It's like you're running in a race and when you fall so far behind that you can't possibly win you just stop running. Then you go to the next race and win. It doesn't matter that you didn't finish the last race, you still won.

No, because he still got a perfect score in one game. It's kind of cheap, yes, but he still had to earn the perfect score through his personal ability.

not cheap imo because he still got a 300 which i know i could never do. not enough patience

I think its cheating. Reason is, in baseball, when you are a batter, you have to play regarless the outcome. So lets say you hit the ball and Its an easy out you cannot just say, "let me try it again", like Digitals said; you cannot erase what you've done and start another round in the bowling alley. if you keep restarting you are just trying to get the perfect strikes together, while if you fail one and keep going is harder to do a perfect game next.

But still you have a perfect game. Just try it to do it when you are playing against someone.

Last edited:
of course it's cheating. yes i agree he still had to use his skill to get those strikes. however, scoring a 300 means you have a "perfect" game and not miss a single strike. the fact that he had to reset because he missed one immediately nullifies it as a perfect game. let's just say he earned the strikes but not the perfect game.

I think it's smart.

You're playing a video game.

All you want to do is get the blasted 300.

When you get game over (in his case, when he missed a strike), you reset it. It's like watching the credits of a game when you die.
You know you messed up, but you don't want to take the time to go through the credits.

You just reset, and try again.

And again.

And again.

AND THEN YOU PREVAIL.

AND FEEL ACCOPLISHED.

LIKE MY FRIEND AND I WHEN WE BEAT TANKS TODAY.
MUCH CELEBRATION.

Back