Metroid 3 graphics are sorta of a let down

jlspec

WiiChat Member
Nov 22, 2006
San Diego
Wii Online Code
6920-9646-7256-3871
Just so everyone knows, I love my wii and graphics comes second after gameplay. Anyway after the many reviews I have read regarding about the game and it's graphics I was expecting something in the line of Halo 2. I found the Metroid Prime 3 graphics are very simple and low poloy + very little use of texture (reminds me of gamecube/n64 games). The bloom effect was nice but didn't really add much. I would rather have better lighting and better use of textures. I know from the specs of the gamecube that Metroid Prime 3 could've been so much better as the it's graphics was more of simple gamecube game. Resident Evil 4 and Zelda TP still has better graphics plus poloy count and the use of lighting in those two games are great. Also no online match, but thats ok. If I was to review the the game knowing what the system can do plus the experince and the developers has with the gamecube hardware I would give it:

Presentation: 10
Graphics: 6.0
Sound: 8.0
Gameplay: 10
Lasting Appeal: 8

overall: 8.4

What do you all think about the game?

I'm very impressed by the graphics for Metroid Prime 3. The 60fps just makes it so much better. I think the graphics are ahead of Halo 2 both technically and artistically.

I have to disagree with you...

I understand if you were disappointed if you were expecting something equivalent to the other new consoles. I'd say Metroid graphics are better than Zelda TP and definatly RE:4. Zelda TP has a high polygon count but lots of blurry textures To say "reminds me of gamecube/n64 games" just tells me you need a refresh, look up some N64 screen shots.

My initial impression of Metroid, just after playlin Lost Planet on 360, was the graphics are not quite as sharp but the colours and level design blow Lost Planet away.

I don't understand why people expect good graphics from the Wii. The hardware sucks ass. I don't really give a **** what it looks like as long as it is fun. (which Metroid surely is) Sure it would be nice to have it look good, but for that to happen it would have to be on one of the other consoles, and it would lose the control scheme which more than makes up for the graphics. (which aren't actually that bad) IMO this is by far the best Wii game so far.

I'll agree with you on that they were a let down, but I have to agree with paintballer, who really cares, the wii wasn't made to be a graphics console, it was made for the gameplay.

I actually think that the graphics are pretty good. Pretty much exactly what I expected. I have a buddy that just house-sat for me this week while I was on vacation and he played a lot of Metroid. He is a 360 owner and he thought that both the controls and the graphics were sweet.

At this point, there shouldn't be any 'letdowns' in the wii's graphics department. We all know the wii isn't all that powerful, so we shouldn't be expecting much there. MP3 has good graphics and does it's job well with the hardware it's running on. In the end, it's fun, has the best console fps control scheme since goldeneye and perfect dark on the N64, and a decent story. Extra prettification would just be icing on an a cake that doesn't need any...

I havent played the game as I lve in Europe, but I'm already impressed by the graphics I've seen in videos etc.

And paintba||er its all about perspective, if you don't compare it to the other two consoles and think about what the Wii itself can do, the graphics are great. I understand its no bioshock mind. Probably controls better however.

Well I would have to disagree, this game looks great and is the best looking game on the Wii so far. Its a lot of fun, and I do not see it as a let down whatsoever.

And seriously, the Wii despite not being able to dish out what Ps3 and 360 can, is capable of putting out nice graphics, it was said in another thread a little while back, that the Wii has not used its full potential graphics wise.

Yeah, you are pretty much completely wrong. I have a 360, and just finished Bioshock, with all of its "hi-def" graphics and "realistic" textures and lighting, and you know what? Metroid's graphics are actually BETTER! I am not kidding at all. It doesn't have the high-resolution so-called 'realism' of some games on other consoles, but what the hell does that matter when the art design and execution COMPLETELY make up for it in every way? I have lived through many a hi-def game, and RARELY can they stack up to what Prime 3 delivers.
I can't begin to imagine either:
A: What your expectations were, are you new to the Wii?
B: What piece of crap TV you are trying to play on
C: Whether you have the 'hi-def' video cables, which are a must.
D: How you can say that this game looks like N64/Gamecube with a straight face.

I mean, RE 4 had great graphics, but Prime 3 BLOWS THEM AWAY. Even Zelda: TP has great graphics, and Prime 3 BLOWS THEM AWAY!
If you're on drugs or something, I suggest you stop taking them. If you're not on drugs, maybe you should start.
This game dominates in every conceivable way, and the very though of such ridiculously wrong statements possibly hurting the sales of this masterpiece gets my blood boiling. Did I mention you are totally wrong?

i have my own tread about the component cable and not so many ansers so here we go again dose it make as big a diff as zelda thx again

Transfixed said:
Yeah, you are pretty much completely wrong. I have a 360, and just finished Bioshock, with all of its "hi-def" graphics and "realistic" textures and lighting, and you know what? Metroid's graphics are actually BETTER! I am not kidding at all. It doesn't have the high-resolution so-called 'realism' of some games on other consoles, but what the hell does that matter when the art design and execution COMPLETELY make up for it in every way? I have lived through many a hi-def game, and RARELY can they stack up to what Prime 3 delivers.
I can't begin to imagine either:
A: What your expectations were, are you new to the Wii?
B: What piece of crap TV you are trying to play on
C: Whether you have the 'hi-def' video cables, which are a must.
D: How you can say that this game looks like N64/Gamecube with a straight face.

I mean, RE 4 had great graphics, but Prime 3 BLOWS THEM AWAY. Even Zelda: TP has great graphics, and Prime 3 BLOWS THEM AWAY!
If you're on drugs or something, I suggest you stop taking them. If you're not on drugs, maybe you should start.
This game dominates in every conceivable way, and the very though of such ridiculously wrong statements possibly hurting the sales of this masterpiece gets my blood boiling. Did I mention you are totally wrong?
Someone is in denial. Bioshock looks infinitely better than Metroid, there isn't really anything that Metroid has better. (just talking about graphics) But Metroid is much more fun than Bioshock IMO so that more than makes up for the graphics.

This really wasn't a debate on whether or not the game was fun, it was that he thought the graphics were a let down. Which I agree, simply because I have higher expectations than most of you do. Also the wii will never have better graphics than an XBOX 360 game or a PS3 game, so people need to stop comparing the Wii to them.

paintba||er said:

Someone is in denial. Bioshock looks infinitely better than Metroid, there isn't really anything that Metroid has better. (just talking about graphics) But Metroid is much more fun than Bioshock IMO so that more than makes up for the graphics.
Yah, he is obviously lying about owning a 360 and finishing bioshock if he says metroid offers better art design and what not. or maybe he just played through with his eyes closed..

i also love how he claims its a must for high def cables. they hardly make a difference when it only supports 480p.

Metroid Prime 3 doesn't have anywhere near the graphics of Bioshock. That isn't on the designers but rather the hardware - the Wii just cannot provide the same power as the 360.

That being said, how can anyone be disappointed with the graphics of MP3? It's easily, easily the best looking Wii game so far. It's better looking than Zelda and better looking than RE4. N64? Seriously, don't go there because that is just stupid. Have you played a 64 game lately? Go download Ocarina of Time, which was great in its day, and thell me it's on the same level as MP3.

I expect only one game to even challenge Metroid's graphics between now and the launch of Super Mario Galaxy - Zak and Wiki.

Back