Nintendo DS MP3 Player?

NateTheGreat

Pondering Member
Jun 30, 2006
A basement on the hill.
Wii Online Code
4054-9249-4284-3802
I was browsing Macworld.com and found the following story:

Looks like the latest competitor to Apple's iPod may come from a little console we all know and love. And when I say "we", I mean Derik, myself, and the myriad other Nintendo DS owners I saw at Penny Arcade Expo (I kid you not, the ratio of DS:pSP was ridiculous; I think I saw maybe half a dozen PSPs and hundreds of DSes).

According to a brochure from Leipzig's Games Convention, the newest addition to the console from Nintendo appears to be an MP3 player. The player will slip into the GameBoy Advance slot (and also apparently be compatible with GBAs), but to store music you'll need to use SD cards (up to 2GB supported). The unit will also feature its own headphone jack (thus continuing the "dual" theme of the DS). At the moment, it's coming to Europe only, with a price of about 30 Euros, available in early October.

What's with the lack of love for us US DS lovers? We get no MP3 player, no web browser, no digital TV tuner. Come on, Nintendo, there's a fortune to be made here! We in the US love to buy.
Brochure:
dsmp3.jpg

Source

While I don't have a DS yet, I'm definitely getting one after the holidays because the price will probably drop then.

I wonder if you could listen to music while you play a DS game?

Darn, I really wish Nintendo would make these features available on the U.S. DS!!

What do you guys think of this?

The DS Lite has a an Opera Web Broswer only availible in Japan right now. When the DS Lite was released in the US I noticed something in the Best Buy paper; that could allow you to put photos, videos, & music on your DS. The price was $150

Wow.. looks coool. Im lookin for the Opera Browser to be available to all of us.. i think thatll be cool.. dunno as if il get the MP3 cartridge (already got an mp3 player) but if they did like photos.. video etc.. then we'll see :)

Hey FinalFantasyVII, please use the
edit.gif
button rather than saying one thought in multiple posts. Thanks

Wow.. looks coool. Im lookin for the Opera Browser to be available to all of us.. i think thatll be cool.. dunno as if il get the MP3 cartridge (already got an mp3 player) but if they did like photos.. video etc.. then we'll see:)
Yeah, I have already have an iPod, but I think if it allowed for picture storage and sharing, that'd be great. I wonder if movies would look good on it's screen?

It would be pretty cool because you could have all the video and/or music controls on the touchscreen; turn up the sound by sliding the stylus over a sound bar, fast foward the same way, etc.

Last edited:
Datel has already released a 4GB hard drive that plugs nicely into the nintendo ds (lite as well) and can play video, music, and view digital images. I was going to buy one, but there a hefty $200 USD

OMG, you're right!!! Gosh, that's amazing, but it's funny that it's like $60 more than the DS itself.:lol:

Regardless, that's outstanding. Here's some pics for those, like me, interested in this thing:

datels-4gb-hd-for-ds-20060425045057847-000.jpg

datels-4gb-hd-for-ds-20060425045037083-000.jpg

datels-4gb-hd-for-ds-20060425045135406-000.jpg

Source

Good find, Weebs!

Back