Over-Rated & Under-Rated Music Artists.

@ Dal: (Can't be arsed to quote)
AC/DC wouldn't really be that good because all of their songs are the same. Granted, they're mostly good songs, but they're very... consistent... with their music.
As for GnR, I can't say, because I don't really listen to them a lot.

meh, different opinions

Simple thread, express your opinion of who you feel is over-rated and under-rated in the music industry, and why.

Over-Rated:

Ayumi Hamasaki: I blame her fans & producers for her being (possibly) the most over-rated JPOP artist of all time. Her fans & producers over-hype every album & single of hers as this untouchable piece of perfection...
Her voice is decent, but she's definitely not the best singer out there (compared to Utada Hikaru, or the classic Yoko Oginome and Minako Honda). She can't handle any ballad without her voice breaking up, or her vocals occasionally turning nasally.

I definitely enjoy her trance albums alot, but the rest of her catalog doesn't really do it for me. Plus her Happy Hardcore songs where her voice sounds like a 5-year old, really gives me a headache.

Morning Musume: Music group of 25 girls (and counting), thank god these girls are incredibly cute, because that's what majority of the members have to offer. 20 of them are below-average singers, with a fraction of the other 5 being poorly used in this mega group even though this small handful can sing very well.

Lil' Jon: "YEAH!" Is all I ever hear about this guy, I've seen alot of his lyrics but it's 90% of..
Does he know how to write any meaningful lyrics? I don't understand why he's so popular..

Soulja Boy: Not much I can say about this kid, comes up with a cheap two-step dance knock-off of MC Hammer's "Shuffle Dance", and hits #1 with an incredibly basic yet uninspiring track.

:0 Something is definitely wrong here..

Britney Spears: Her personal life aside, what I could say for her is about the same for Ayumi Hamasaki.

Under-Rated:

W (or Double-U): A JPop duo with alot of very catchy tunes that have unique rhythms & melodies. Yeah, they're cute, but with Morning Musume over-shadowing them, they didn't get far.. Former members of the Musume group that went solo, and got over-shadowed greatly, with their last album having been canceled and the group disbanded.

Asian Kung-Fu Generation: Highly popular by their US fans, but not that special in Japan. They have the sound, and definitely the talent.. but aren't as big as they should be, simply because they don't have "the look". Group of guys who look like your average, in the garage, rock band nerds.

Boom Boom Satellites: Highly talented group that has been around for quite awhile, but due to their unique ambient garbage sound, they have remained very unpopular... this until they've decided to change their sound for a more Electro-Rock fusion style, that has finally gained them attention, though they still creep the odd track in that comes from their original style.

Lots of Japanese music
I think WISE is the most underrated and under credited Jhop talent there is. Have you ever heard of him Gikoku?
I think RIZE has some good songs too but I think they are more mainstream.

Overrated reg music...
Soujia boy easy, props for producing everything on his album but it sucks.
Hard to name overrated rock musicians since rap is so dominant these days.
A lot of "underground" music from Pitchfork Media. Rooney, Arctic Monkeys etc.

Underrated
Silversun Pickups
Common, for sure

Yay for Silversun Pickups!
I only know one other person who has heard of them.

Lots of Japanese music
I think WISE is the most underrated and under credited Jhop talent there is. Have you ever heard of him Gikoku?
I think RIZE has some good songs too but I think they are more mainstream.

The name WISE does sound a bit familiar, but no.. I don't remember any songs by him.

Under-Rated

Cymbals: A very talented JROCK/JPOP band, that has unfortunately went their separate ways for solo careers. An addictive groovy sound inspired by 70's Disco/Rock & Jazz, which was a fresh change from the way too common bubblegum electro-pop found in JPOP.

Cymbals Music Videos
[video=youtube;s1tLZGYfxMA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1tLZGYfxMA[/video]
[video=youtube;K9xOuM4FmoM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9xOuM4FmoM[/video]
[video=youtube;lNu0j9pGyfU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNu0j9pGyfU[/video]

Dragonforce and Jonas Brothers /thread

I don't think they're overrated, only because I don't know anyone who actually likes them that isn't a prepubescent female.
I think if prepubescent girls think you're hot, they're going to tell themselves your music is the best **** ever. Love is blind...and it's also deaf. So their music is DEFINITELY overrated.

I, being pubescent and all, don't really listen to their music. It's not for me. Except SOS, Lovebug and Burnin' Up ;D

Overrated:

Lil' Wayne (He's not the "best rapper")
50 Cent
Snoop Dog
Daddy Yankee
Kanye West (I really like Kanye, but let's face the facts, he's overrated)
Fallout Boy
My Chemical Romance
Blink 182
Linkin Park

And the lord of overrated-ness:
Slipknot

Underrated:

Notorious B.I.G. (Those wannabe thugs should listen to this guy instead of Lil' Wayne or any of that crap)
Common
Will.I.Am
Andre 3000
Bullet for my Valentine
Most Reggae artists
Electronica music in general.

Back