Pokemon of the Week

Neosquid

(owo)凸
Jan 25, 2009
Chireiden
Wii Online Code
6666-1020-6666-1020
Dirge had a thread series like this in the past.

Basically, every week (on a Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday) I will post a Pokemon on this thread. I will usually use a random number generator, but if it's a special occasion I may use a specific Pokemon that fits (ie Blissey for Easter). You can then post your opinion of that Pokemon. What do you think of it's design? How useful is it in game? Competitively? Have you used one before? Just stuff like that.

Splash King and me will alternate with these.

This will be from all five generations (soon to be six), and a Pokemon cannot be used more than once.

Last edited:
Pokemon of the Week #1 (7/8/2012)

Aggron

180px-306Aggron.png

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Aggron_(Pokémon)

Aggron, the Iron Armor Pokemon. This Pokemon claims an entire mountain as its own territory. It mercilessly beats up anything that violates its environment. This Pokémon vigilantly patrols its territory at all times. While seeking iron for food, it digs tunnels by breaking through bedrock with its steel horns.

Aggron is a pretty cool Pokemon. The most noticeable thing about it is the colossal defense stat, it can take Earthquakes from enemy Pokemon despite being x4 weak to the move. Speaking of which, it has some pretty nasty weaknesses, but at least it has a lot of resistances to somewhat remedy this. It can also hit insanity hard with Head Smash, and if it has Rock Head there's not even any Recoil. If you don't wanna use Head Smash or any other recoil move, Sturdy is a viable option that can protect Aggron from a special attack or a really damaging physical attack if it's at full health. Not that it's gonna be OHKO'd physically aside from powerful Fighting and Ground attacks.

Aggron gets Heavy Metal from the Dream World, which does virtually nothing aside from power up Heavy Slam. I'd rather use Rock Head + Head Smash myself.

The design is pretty awesome too, it's one of my favorite Generation 3 Pokemon for sure. It looks kinda like a metal tank dinosaur. I used one in my first Ruby playthrough, and I was pleased with its performance.

Last edited:
He abandon it because he was lazy.

Poppycock. Slander. Ya've forgotten that life had me on an impossible schedule for including so much writin'; I abandoned my PotW threads 'cause I had to. Never revived 'em due to lack of interest (the 'mons forums are dead, after all).

Poppycock. Slander. Ya've forgotten that life had me on an impossible schedule for including so much writin'; I abandoned my PotW threads 'cause I had to. Never revived 'em due to lack of interest (the 'mons forums are dead, after all).
I like how that's the only thing you commented on.

;_;

Now comment on Aggron pls.

Aggron is a homeboy, nuff said. One of my favs from 3rd gen (my memory is a bit lacking so correct me if i'm wrong)

Breaks through bedrock? ... Is Aggron in the Pokemob mod for Minecraft yet? >_____>

Aggron is exactly what Rampardos should be: a glass cannon with Rock Head. 'Cause Rampardos lacks said ability is the only reason anyone uses Aggron, since it isn't particularly useful in any other way. Steelix is very similar in base stats but without the 4x weaknesses and a lovely STAB Earthquake. Rock Head/Head Smash Aggron is the only way to use it, otherwise it's a useless piece of **** in the low tiers IMO since everythin' else it can do, somethin' else can do better. It certainly ain't usable in OU neither.

Casually speakin' I used one oh-so long ago on my first Ruby playthrough if IIRC, but never again. I don't particularly care for it's design in terms of personal taste, but I do think it is cool lookin'.

I like how that's the only thing you commented on.

;_;

That's because I posted prior to you gettin' Aggron up, ya fool. :p

Aggron can tank any physical attackers that don't use Fighting or Ground attacks. And maybe Water. And really, while the weaknesses suck, Tyranitar and Heatran have similar weaknesses yet they do just fine. :I
That's because I posted prior to you gettin' Aggron up, ya fool. :p
I meant in general, you derphead. ;I

Maybe I like to sleep? :p

Why do ya think they do fine? Both of those Pokes have useful niche roles 'n typing, as well as havin' a 600 BST. Aggron's only selling point that other pokes ain't better at, is smashing it's face into things like a truck, without recoil.

Still, the typing. Don't ignore the defense, it's kinda, I dunno, boss.

And I'm saying this cause you called it a glass cannon.

Last edited:
Still, the typing is terrible. :lol:

That's because it is one. Uninvested, it's defense is nothin' to boast about when you're 4x weak to the two most common physical sweepers' coverage/STAB types. It's laughably frail when it comes to takin' special moves as well. Aggron ain't a Bastiodon when it comes to defenses; and let's face it, Bastiodon is awful as well.

Maybe it can't wall, but it's not a complete glass cannon. Unlike Rampardos and pretty much any other "glass cannon", it can switch into many physical attackers. You're right, it can't stay in for a long time like Ferrothorn or something, but it can sure as hell take physical hits when it needs to.

Sure, it can tank not-very-effective physical moves, but that ain't what it's meant to do. It shouldn't ever need to. It's bulk is completely irrelevant to anythin' but attempting to switch in safely for a clean Head Smash. Aggron is all about raw offensive power, just like a Victini abusing V-Create. So yes, it's a glass cannon. Only on the special side in terms of stats, but it's weaknesses make it physically frail as well. That's my point.

I understand your point, but I think you're underestimating Aggron on the physical side at least a little bit....oh well, regardless, it's still a splendid tank in game.

Back