Public School Vs. Homeschool

Frogger said:
I think I'll write more later, busy now. D:

Oh hell, I STOPPED MYSELF FROM ASKING WHAT YOU WERE DOING. D:

Aaaaand, I go to a semi-prestigious private school. It's not a prep school, no, but we definitely have a much higher *standard* than the GRPS...

Anyway, I think they're the best option. The best trade-off between sociability and one-on-one education.

Frogger said:
Hah, I went to a public school and still managed to turn out antisocial.
Exactly, I'm the same way. I've never been homeschooled, yet I'm still remarkably socially awkward. I can't even carry on MSN conversations very well, let alone in person ones. I'm uncomfortable around people, I hate being center of attention, etc etc. I also am kinda clingy to my family and enjoy being home more than anywhere else. So it looks like I have all the stereotypical characteristics of a home-schooled child without ever being one :lol:

EDIT: I actually begged my mom at one point to homeschool me, but she a) thought I was crazy, and b) is way too busy.

Last edited:
I have three hours to kill in art so I have decided to come back to this thread to waffle like there's no tomorrow.

Here you have to pay to be homeschooled, unless you are too ill enough to go to a public school, because it is somewhat of an advantage. I believe that you get more of the bulk of education when you are being homeschooled, your tutor, or whatever, I don't really have much experience of this will know where exactly you're going wrong in a subject and knows your strengths, and I can say that teachers in public school aren't at that personal level of communication with students. My teachers couldn't care less where I was going wrong, all they were really bothered about was the golden child whose work would go up for moderation, or they were too busy to explain it thoroughly.

There are also some teachers that I just didn't get along with and I found their teaching skills appauling, but some people got good grades with their methods, it just depends on what type of person you are, with homeschooling I think that they can have more of an understanding of you. Again, socially, it doesn't really matter, I think I would be more comfortable being homeschooled as I could talk to adults, and in the future, your workplace is going to consist of most of those adults who are much older than you, I still find it dodgy talking to older people.

Obviously, I don't know much about it though, I don't know how it works, so I'd just listen to Dakuda for everything, because like... You always should.

Wasn't Tyly homeschooled for a while, or am I just making that up?

Another thing that nuffed me up was going to a girls' school, and I'm sure anyone who has spoken to me has got the thick of me complaining about it, even though I left in May last year. It just really bugged me why people would separate interaction with everyone just for the sake of focussing better in school, but that is their job anyway. I just really hate most girls, their personality just doesn't match with mine. D:

I have definitely had 3 hours sleep.

There are definitely problems with government education systems (more-so in America than Australia), but I think in the long run they're better for you. You experience more of a life-like environment, and you learn to work collaboratively with all kinds of different people.

I go to a private school, and there's no denying there are problems. Drugs and alcohol are big for many people who attend. However - I love my school, the friends I've made and the things I've learned.

Home-schooling is really rare here... probably because we have a good public education system (and to be home-schooled you have to apply to the government for an exemption).

Personally, I'd hate to be home-schooled.

I to would have hated to be home schooled. The public school environment in Australia is generally very inviting. The standard of teaching is usually high and the oppurtunity for strong social development with both your peers and teachers is very useful in life after school.

Being in a public school prepared me well for Uni this year!

Drugs? gangs? getting knocked up?.....All stereotypes of public school. Not ALL public schools are like that. Most of that happens in the inner city schools, and a few other cases. In our generation kids are going to indulge in drugs, violence and sex no matter where they are. It's not all a result of where they get schooling. A lot of it is just social influence, mass media, and all around changing times.......with that aside

Public man. I know some home schooled kids through my archery club. Most of them are kinda weird. Teenagers need social interactions. Some home schooled kids never really develop their people skills, and have trouble getting into the real world.

tank said:
Drugs? gangs? getting knocked up?.....All stereotypes of public school. Not ALL public schools are like that. Most of that happens in the inner city schools, and a few other cases. In our generation kids are going to indulge in drugs, violence and sex no matter where they are. It's not all a result of where they get schooling. A lot of it is just social influence, mass media, and all around changing times.......with that aside

Public man. I know some home schooled kids through my archery club. Most of them are kinda weird. Teenagers need social interactions. Some home schooled kids never really develop their people skills, and have trouble getting into the real world.

Uhm, do you get much of that being homeschooled? Isn't that the point?

I have social skills online!

Social skills in person is completly different to online (especially on a forum).
(also obvious)

Jokes aside, I recon a lotof the people on here that talk with such confidence and superiority, that if were spoke to in person, would be shy and as timid as anything lol..

But yeah, public school ftw.

Wiired said:
Social skills in person is completly different to online (especially on a forum).
(also obvious)

Jokes aside, I recon a lotof the people on here that talk with such confidence and superiority, that if were spoke to in person, would be shy and as timid as anything lol..

But yeah, public school ftw.

If you're wrong, I'll tell you in real life too. I just can't pick at grammar and txt tlk in speech as much. Unless you're English of course. ;)

My personal choice or the one that I feel has the edge over the other is Public School for sure. You get an education still, you experience a lot more because of the less restrictions there are, and theres not as much pressure on you.

Homeschool students main focus is on education and nothing else. Their parents also will hardly ever tell their child they have done wrong or whatever and they have never really experience defeat.

Once they get out in the "real" world if they are let down or fail they will have no idea how they should go about getting back up, they haven't really felt rejection.

Plus homeschool kids tend to be a bit odd, although we all can be at times.
But one boy on my soccer team a few years ago, was the weirdest of them all. He wouldn't ever say a word, he barely played. He had no idea how to react with people.

Back